1200 Daily Calories

Options
I don't understand why someone would unfriend you when you are not reaching your 1200 daily calories. This just happened to me. I eat well (I think so) and feel full and not hungry. My calories intake has been between 700-800 daily. I drink water (or supplements) which tends to fill you up.

Replies

• jealous_loser
    Options
    I think some people are worried about eating disorders. If they feel like you are showing that, it makes them uncomfortable especially if they have a history of it. I did unfriend someone because they had "ana sisters" on their profile and I felt like I could not support that.
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the people that unfriended you is very focused on making a life style change, not doing a crash diet.
    You seem to not want to eat more than you do, and I'm guessing that means some people assume that you prefer to starve your way down. (by starving I mean that you are in starvation mode, not that you necessarly feel hungry)
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    What I have cut out in my diet, before I started in January with MFP, is sweets. I used to eat sweets (very sweet tooth) and alot of carbs, ie breads, potato chips, cookies, etc. I have completely cut this out of my diet. Also, I used to have larger portions than normal. Before I gained my weight I was always eating only between 900-1000 calories a day. My Doctor stated then that I was healthy and did not indicate that I was in any type of starvation mode.

When I do feel hungry I eat, but now I eat healthy, nothing with an abnormal amount of fat, carbs, etc. For instance, last evening after eating dinner, approximately 2 hrs later, I started getting hungry. So I chose to pop some popcorn and have it for a snack

I am definetly not putting myself into starvation mode. I plan on keeping this weight off that I put on and completely changing my life style so it doesn't happen again.

I do have an appt with my Doctor in early July and I will see what she has to say to me about the daily calorie intake that I am doing and if in fact she feels that I am not going down a healthy path.

Thank you all for your comments and I do appreciate all your help.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's because they don't agree with the lifestyle you are choosing to live. Instead of preaching to you they just chose to not associate themselves with you. Quite simply 800 Calories is way too few to nourish properly.

Some of these people here have come from eating disorders in the past and they view that as an eating disorder. I'm guessing they've said something to you in the past about it and you continue to do it so they just de-friended you. You can't be mad at them for that, it's just something they chose to not be around.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm definetly not mad at them, just baffled.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid threads/folks who are happy that they are eating such low calorie diets. Often, on here, these are young young girls (like 14, 15) trying to get unhealthy skinny and not understanding (and not wanting to know) how much damage they are doing to their young growing bodies. I decided not to facilitate that.

Many folks on here are MASTERS at losing weight. And then regaining it. I would guess lots of them do it by SEVERELY restricting their calories. I am baffled by that, frankly.

My body needs fuel. I'm in this for the long haul. I eat around 1500 calories.

12 years ago I lost 20-25LBS. I kept it off til menopause hit. And even then, I only gained a little back. I credit learning how to eat to not gain weight. Learning how to fuel my body.

Does that make sense? So yeah, for me, I don't want to encourage eating disorders or what I know to be unhealthy eating. We're here to support each other. I can't do that.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm definetly not mad at them, just baffled.

Not to be a jerk, but i'm confused why you would be baffled. If I see something you are doing and don't agree with it and chose to not associate myself with you, what's confusing about that?
  • pk6868
    pk6868 Posts: 16
    Options
    As a nurse practitioner I can tell you that I have done a lot of research on weight loss, diets, etc. There is no way you are getting the proper amount of daily nutrients that you need to stay healthy by only eating 800 calories a day. You may not feeling like you are starving, but that is because your body has gotten use to your decreased intake. Your body compensates for this by going into what we call "starvation mode." The body shuts down and your metabolism slows way down. You may be losing weight for now, but you cannot stay healthy for long with only eating 800 calories/day. My suggestion would be to see a nutritionist/dietician who can help you find a healthy diet that is no less than 1200 calories/day and that will give you the amount of nutrients you need. I hope this helps.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Meadow,
    It very hard to watch a friend do something you believe is harmful to their body,. As a friend, I can let them know I am concerned but I cannot make their choices for them. I have felt I had to walk away from friends because I could not watch what I felt was dangerous behaviors (be it drugs, alcohol or even food) and I promise it was never because of a lack of caring.

I wish you good luck and great health! :flowerforyou:
    Peace,
    Cami