Upping Calories

Options
Okay so I decided to up my calories from 1400 to 1700 as my BMR is 1671, most forums say to give it a month before weighing in again as your body is 're-feeding' it's been two and a bit weeks so far my weight fluctuated and went up but is now back down to what it was when I upped my calories.

So I have a couple of questions:
1) Is my calorie intake low enough to lose weight?
2) Should I continue with my 1700 lifestyle or reduce to a lower calorie intake?
3) I've been eating back my exercise calories to net 1700, should I eat back my exercise calories?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• rowenaaitken
    rowenaaitken Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Funny i've just been thinking about upping mine! Be good to see what responses you get!
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The most helpful info I have found about upping calories is in the group Eat More 2 Weigh Less. I don't know how to post the link but you can search it. The moderators there are extremely helpful and encouraging, as well as all the members. The people I have found there are motivating and helpful and always willing to answer questions. Check it out. I have upped my calories and am taking a break from the scale for the entire month of June (I know, it's killing me!!) Good luck!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Most people eat between their TDEE and their BMR to lose weight. Your TDEE would be what your body burns and includes any exercise calories you gain. For example a someone with sedentary TDEE would be say 1800 while moderately active (exercising 3-5 days a week) about 2400. Their BMR would be about 1400. You can reduce your TDEE by 500 to lose about a pound a week. Remember, these numbers will change as you lost more weight. Again this is just an example and your number will be different.

Once you figure out your TDEE just take some calories off it and you should lose weight.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I upped my calories several weeks ago and it has been working well for me. I eat 1660, which is just above my BMR. I don't generally eat back any calories although sometimes I might eat 100-200 back if there was something that I really wanted...like Starbucks. :) I've been losing about 2 pounds a week so far.
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    my wife (5ft tall) was on 1300 a day and upped her cals to 1600+ as her weight had stalled for a few weeks.
    after three weeks her weight has started to drop, she has lost a further 5 pounds.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Whats I would suggest is finding your TDEE. Your weight loss target is somewhere in between your BMR and your TDEE. There are many calculators out there, but the one I like to use is:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Be honest with your exercise levels and you will have a good place to start. Most people shoot for TDEE -15% as a healthy weight loss goal.
  • LoveAustralia
    LoveAustralia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding, I have a HRM so I can track my calories efficiently with that, I shall find out my TDEE and go from there!

Thanks so much!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Try this group. It has an abundance of info on upping cals http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding, I have a HRM so I can track my calories efficiently with that, I shall find out my TDEE and go from there!

Actually...HRMs are good for when you're doing cardio (and have an elevated heart rate) and not the rest of the time. That's what they're designed for after all.

If you want to find out your TDEE over the course of the day, you'd be better off investing in a BodyMedia Fit or a BodyBugg -- there are lots and lots of threads about those on here; do a search to read about them.
  • LoveAustralia
    LoveAustralia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I meant that I can track my exercise calories efficiently with my HRM
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I went from 1200 a day to 1500 a day and I eat back my calories. I'm down 11 pounds in 90 days. It works!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Do you know your TDEE? If not, I would start there. Get an idea of how many calories you're burning in a day and then create a deficit off that. You may find that 1700 is still too low or that it is perfect.
  • asongforholly
    asongforholly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This really does work. I was plateaued for a month at 1200-1400. I bumped mine up to 1756 and I busted the hell out of my plateau with a 5lb loss in 2 weeks.