How do you just have ONE??

Options

Replies

• txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I also log everything before I eat it. I don't snack at work, so my only snack is after dinner. When I decide what I want, I log it first, then act accordingly. The past couple of nights, I've been having some Cheetos (the puffy kind). I found that just three or four will satisfy my craving for it, so I enter just that amount. The satisfaction of staying under my calorie budget far outweighs the fleeting satisfaction I would get from eating more.
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Easiest and most logical solution: don't even go to dairy queen (or any of those fast food/desert hells). Why waste your $ and calories on something that you will regret later? Go for a run. You'll feel better in the end.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I just... do it. If I'm having a cookie or something out of the box, I take it out of the box, put it away, and then sit down and eat. If I'm ordering, i just by default get the smaller size.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I found that the longer I went eating healthy, the less desirable those things tasted. Now, don't get me wrong - I indulge in M&M's and cookies every single day. But, a lot of the stuff I used to LOVE (like a banana cream pie blizzard) just don't hold the same appeal to me. Yes, I may have one once a summer while on vacation, but when I do? It isn't how I remembered it.

Some people will say "DO NOT EAT THAT STUFF" and I highly disagree with that. Making foods off limits will lead to resentment and for most people, binge eating later. If you want a blizzard, only take enough money for a mini. Now, you get the blizzard you want - but you have NO choice but to buy the smaller one. Savor every bite.

If you want a cheeseburger from McDonald's, only take enough money for a small cheeseburger.

A lot of people do not have the willpower to refuse something larger if they are able to have it, so forcing yourself to accept the smaller one (by only having X amount of money) will help. You'll find as time passes, you may not want that stuff so badly anymore.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I used to pull up and order really fast so I didn't have time to change my mind. after awhiole I got used to eating less and am happy to order smaller from fast food. at home the food scale helps me. as I watch the number on the scale go up it's like watching the calories go up and I'm more likely to stick to the reccomended size. aka chips and cereal it's easy to throw a few extra on top and say "well it's still probably close to 4 oz" no. now it's 6 oz, but if you don't weight it on a scale that excuse is super convienient, or you may just not know.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's just become a habit to me. Looking at the nutritional value helped a lot. There's days I'll say screw it and get a regular size whatever, but those are pretty rare now.

It also helps that I get full faster because of the smaller portions I've been eating anyway.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Discipline and preoccupation.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I look at all the chubby people eating there, and remind myself that I prefer not to be chubby.
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For me it does just come down to self control - sometime I have it, sometimes I dont !
  • jgkoutr
    jgkoutr Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    Before I eat it, I log it, and then I take a look at my end-of-day totals. If I like what I see, I'll have the treat. If it makes my totals awful, I'm more likely to feel good about NOT indulging. :)

This is what I do, too...I log the foods I want beforeI go...if I don't like the totals (even sodium will turn me away from something) then I find something I'm willing to eat that will work within my totals for the day...I love pizza so when I know I'm going for pizza I plan in advance and then look to see how many pieces of pizza I can have..usually no more than 2.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I used to get grab sized bags of crisps or the sharing bags of chocolate (that no one ever shares). Now I just get normal sized and they are a treat to me. I have a Friday evening as my treat night. I usually have a bar of chocolate or something. If you can't handle just having one then don't have anything..

I struggle with Wine.. i can't just have one.. :sad:
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Before I eat it, I log it, and then I take a look at my end-of-day totals. If I like what I see, I'll have the treat. If it makes my totals awful, I'm more likely to feel good about NOT indulging. :)

This is what I do, too...I log the foods I want beforeI go...if I don't like the totals (even sodium will turn me away from something) then I find something I'm willing to eat that will work within my totals for the day...I love pizza so when I know I'm going for pizza I plan in advance and then look to see how many pieces of pizza I can have..usually no more than 2.

I thrid this it is a good idea and lets me see if i can have a treat and how big of a treat lol!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I don't, and can't. When I pick up a snack from the grocery store, instead of focusing on the 'serving size' I just check total calories in the entire thing.

That way I don't feel so bad eating a whole ______ and only consuming 400-600 calories, vs eating something similar, that'd get me into the 1000-1500 calorie range.

I pretty much plan ahead to be eating/snacking on it all day.

Applies to stuff like vegetable chips, pop chips or those mini rice cake things.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use my calories like money....so I spend them wisely. I do treat myself but not with mass amounts is all. If I want more when I am done I simple tell mysefl NO you have just wasted 400 on the last 5 bites! and that ususally takes the urge away...then I am back on track with good food and water! Best of luck!! Blessings!! <><
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Louis CK knows... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSbpyxFC24k ahaha. (:
  • Elmorlan
    Elmorlan Posts: 37
    Options
    My mom has always been a "just one bite" kind of person and I never understood that. But since I started tracking it is getting easier and easier. If I want to eat something I put it in and see if the calories (but mostly carbs, in my case) still make me want to eat it. If it's borderline maybe I will eat just half. Often I am so turned off by how bad it is for me that I don't really want it anymore. I agree that as time passes you will feel fewer cravings for those things, but don't deprive yourself. Just be accountable!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I automatically visualize first the calorie content & mentally consolidate it against my remaining calorie allotment for the day. Then I think to myself if its really worth having it. I don't have cheat days & I still eat small amounts of cake, ice cream, fast foods etc. where you can see on my diary on some days but of course I have to make sure that it fits within my daily "budget". Also I'm eating it just for the sake of still tasting it to avoid cravings which will lead to a binge.
  • PEflowerAchildCE
    Options
    I find it's easiest going out places (like dairy queen) when i am with a friend that is skinnier than me. I never want to get anything more than what she has bought because i don't want to look like a pig of something. And also, for me, if it's there i will eat it. So i just avoid having junk food in my home at all times haha.
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating. If you enjoy each bit and realize that there are going to be other opportunities to enjoy those things in life, that is what has worked for me.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I find that the smaller versions of things give me enough of a taste of it. Eating it slowly and just enjoying the flavour helps. Sometimes people have trigger foods that may take longer to reintroduce (or are never reintroduced into their diet). It's about knowing what works for you and sometimes just plain avoiding the temptation altogether.