Please help, I have a weak core

Options
It's beyond not having rock hard abs, my core is weak. When I float in the wateron my back my legs drop! I slouch when I walk! Ok I'm milking the point a little bit. But in all seriousness, does anyone have any exercises they recommend to get my core a little stronger.

Replies

• jmonRN
    jmonRN Posts: 3
    Options
    The plank exercise is fantastic for strengthening up your core!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred. I don't even do it every day, more like 2-3 times a week, and my core is getting stronger. You can find the level 1 workout on YouTube, too, so you can try it before you buy the DVD.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Squats

Planks

Moar Squats
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Planks
    Leg raises on your back
    Captains Chair
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    It's beyond not having rock hard abs, my core is weak. When I float in the wateron my back my legs drop! I slouch when I walk! Ok I'm milking the point a little bit. But in all seriousness, does anyone have any exercises they recommend to get my core a little stronger.

Pilates. Fab for core strength and it also seems to have "lengthened" my torso. Can't recommend it enough.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Planks, weight lifting, anything that utilizes your whole body. Prone jackknives are good too.
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    Hip Hop Abs. If you do it right you'll really start feeling it after the first couple of days.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Nobody's said deadlifts yet?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and squats. I've noticed so many positive changes from them. Really just do a total body weightlifting program and keep your core tight the whole time
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Planks. But hold them for as long as you can, like starting at 20 seconds. It helps if you have a trainer or workout friend to count for you so you don't cheat. :wink:
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Pole fitness...my male friend took some classes and wowwwwww
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For strengthening your core< the 2 best thing are planks and squats. BUT good form is really important with both! :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big fan of planks (esp side planks), but lately I've had a change of opinion. It's one of those situation where the exercise isn't just painful, but both painful and boring. The amount of time I can hold them is primarily just a mental challenge that gets old fast. I still do them sometimes, especially the side planks. But I think there are other core workouts that are much more bang for your buck like leg raises and ab rollouts.

Of course squat and deadlift are great core workouts. But unless you have a personal trainer they're tough to get started with, especially if the OP has a weak core.

EDIT: to the OP: Most exercise will strengthen your core. So you don't really have to target the core with that many exercises (if any). Focus on a well rounded exercise plan and just add in 1 or 2 core workouts.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Mat-based pilates. It incorporates several core exercises. There are some decent pilates workout DVDs out there, too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I recently checked out the book "New Rules Of Lifting for Abs" from my library - good stuff in there. Maybe look into that.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    See if your gym offers CXWORX. 30 minute Les Mills core workout, I have been doing it for about 2 months now and I love it. I see a difference in my core strength and my posture.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Consider doing static push ups... or dang near anything from Insanity...
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Lying Leg raises. Except that you never let any part of your body but your shoulders touch the ground (you will need to grab on to something sturdy with your hands over your head to prevent rotation). Also called a dragon flag or a body lever. If you can't do it straight legged, tuck your knees or do it one legged.
  • CarrieMyPhilos
    CarrieMyPhilos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Pilates is all about strengthening your core. If you have netflix, there's a good pilates set that could help - you can find it just by searching for "Pilates." Even if you don't have netflix, there are a lot of clips on youtube, or for sale, and there are always pilates classes.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Suck in your stomach and hold it as long as you can and repeat.