C25K question...

Options
I started this program 5/10/12 and today I completed w6d1 which for me was:

Jog 5 mins
Walk 3 mins
Jog 8 mins
walk 3 mins
Jog 5 mins

2 days ago I had to do a 20 minute consecutive run and I was so excited I did it without having to stop! Today I thought I was going to die!! It was so hard for me. When I saw the plan for today I thought no problem since I was able to do the 20 mins, but it was horrible!!!! Wondering if anyone had the same experience with week 6?

Replies

• cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I know I did and I think a few of my friends had the same experience! I'm not sure why week 6 was such a struggle for me, but it definitely was. It'll get better though- stick with it!!
  • RunChristyRun
    RunChristyRun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Some days did seem harder than others. Just don't get discouraged!
  • tannegary
    tannegary Posts: 6
    Options
    Intervals seem to be harder. I think it's because you are giving your body a slight chance to rest and then it has to go back into motion. I don't know if that makes sense but it makes me more tired. I love the intervals, though. You lose weight quicker with them.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I run tons and have days where I feel I could fly, and other days I can barely make my legs go. It'll happen. A Lot of it for me depends on the TOM. Don't give up!
  • midnightwhispers
    Options
    The last time I did it around week 6 I was on my 8 minute and didn't feel winded or tired at all so I kept going for a full 20 minutes. I was so excited as well because I thought that meant I could skip ahead to almost the end of the program and do the 25/30 minutes no problem. Was I sadly fooled. The next day I started all prepared to go the 20 minutes no problem and could barley make it through the 5 minute jog. So yeah, it happens.

I injured myself a few months ago so I'm just starting it again to ease my ankle back into running and I'm about to start week 4 on Monday.
  • sjlapins
    sjlapins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I am glad to know I am not the only one struggling :) I don't feel like giving up but not nearly as motivated to do my next run. Maybe it will be better next time! Thank you for replying and good luck to everyone!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience, OP!
  • CarrieMyPhilos
    CarrieMyPhilos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar issue, but in week ONE... The first day was the best so far! Today I felt like I could conquer the world until about around half way through - I don't know if it's the heat, or my shoes (generic athletic shoes, not specifically for running), or my low calorie intake thus far today. Maybe it's a little of all of it, for me. How do you tell if your shoes are good or not?

But it seems like the second day or third day with something is usually harder than the first; not sure why, but I've experienced that too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, same here, and since finishing the program it still happens - I have a great run, then a couple days later I can barely get through 2 miles. :tongue: Factors I've noticed is the outside temp, if I've had enough water pre-run, if legs are tired from previous workouts, etc.
  • sjlapins
    sjlapins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been going first thing in the morning before I have time to eat because of my work schedule. I wonder if this will become a problem as my runs get longer and more challenging?? It is hard to figure out all of the do's and dont's to a successful run but either way I am sure I will have good days and bad days. Thanks for all the support!!!

To CarrieMyPhilo - I don't know too much about shoes but I have been told you have to have a good pair when you are running. I do know that some places will check your feet and your walk and fit you for the right shoe! The shoe is a bit costly but well worth it. Hang in there :)
  • lkgoose
    lkgoose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    New Balance stores are great about fitting your feet to the right shoe! :happy: