low blood pressure rapid heart rate?!? ADVICE NEEDED

Options
2»

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate goes up to 80bpm when I am stressed. 62-64 when I am relaxed.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Also consider taking your HR with a HRM and track it when you're not testing it. You can get false-positives when checking you heart rate, especially if you elevate it by being stressed while doing it. :)
  • finallyFIT_ForMe
    Options
    I don't know if you have experienced any other symptoms but from what you have posted here it may be beneficial for you to research Wolfe Parkinson White Syndrome a bit and see if you have any of the other symptoms. If you do you should see a doctor and ask them to specifically test for this. It requires an EKG. This is rare enough that alot of doctors wont see it ever and may not think to diagnose this. My ex-husband had it and didn't learn about it until he started passing out several times a day from rapid heart rate and ended up needing emergency surgery. Not trying to scare you but I think you should read about it.
  • HungerGame82
    HungerGame82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I actually crave salt and struggle to stay hydrated but I have really increased my water intake in the last 6 months. No change.

First of all, I am not a doctor and I have no idea whether this has any relevance to your rapid heart rate, but generally when our body craves a specific food, it's because our body needs something in that food item. When you exercise you lose sodium, so you may want to increase your sodium intake.
    Yes, I may need to do this. Thanks!
  • HungerGame82
    Options
    My resting heart rate goes up to 80bpm when I am stressed. 62-64 when I am relaxed.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Also consider taking your HR with a HRM and track it when you're not testing it. You can get false-positives when checking you heart rate, especially if you elevate it by being stressed while doing it. :)
    I have been looking into that. Good suggestion. It seems like my docs always look at my bp and say "looks great, I wish all my patients looked like that" and I'm thinking are you not looking at my pulse?!? I take it when I'm sitting down at work, not stressed or anything and its always high. :/
  • HungerGame82
    Options
    I don't know if you have experienced any other symptoms but from what you have posted here it may be beneficial for you to research Wolfe Parkinson White Syndrome a bit and see if you have any of the other symptoms. If you do you should see a doctor and ask them to specifically test for this. It requires an EKG. This is rare enough that alot of doctors wont see it ever and may not think to diagnose this. My ex-husband had it and didn't learn about it until he started passing out several times a day from rapid heart rate and ended up needing emergency surgery. Not trying to scare you but I think you should read about it.
    I definitely will look it up. Thank you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, after this thread, I've been measuring my resting heart rate a few times a day. I have an app (lol) and a heart rate monitor (both are measuring the same, btw).
    And lo and behold at 47 my resting heart rate has gone down to the mid 60s. I also noticed today that my running (9:30 per mile pace) heart rate has also gone down. I guess I've made a leap in my cardio vascular health (my weight hasn't really changed).
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I actually crave salt and struggle to stay hydrated but I have really increased my water intake in the last 6 months. No change.

First of all, I am not a doctor and I have no idea whether this has any relevance to your rapid heart rate, but generally when our body craves a specific food, it's because our body needs something in that food item. When you exercise you lose sodium, so you may want to increase your sodium intake.

I wouldn't recommend upping sodium without talking to your MD. Your body only needs 180 mg per day. I doubt you are getting that low and I can guarantee you are not losing that much unless you happen to do marathons...daily.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/publications/dietaryguidelines/2010/meeting2/commentattachments/aha-220e.pdf

Learn the facts, you do not need to add more sodium. There are health risks to doing so. It will not necessarily up your BP.
  • 57Candy
    57Candy Posts: 4
    Options
    MY blood pressure was similar to yours with it dipping more to your lower numbers. My heart rate was above 100 which is not good. Your heart rate should be between 60-100 please double check these numbers. I went to have a medical procedure done and when they did an EKG they noticed that I had a Left Bundle Branch Blockage which in my case is very, very serious and not common for someone my age (53). To shorten the story I "never" showed any signs of a heart problem other than my blood pressure always on the somewhat low side, my heart rate and I was short of breathe which I attributed to my asthma. I had a stress test, which I was unable to complete. When they did the neugular they ASAP the cardiologist to speak to me. In "my" case my heart has been damaged through a virus which I probably caught and did not know it so my heart muscle is stretched (ex: when you blow up a balloon and let the air out) and the L.B.B.B. is a type of conduction block involves partial or complete interruption of the flow of electrical impulses through the right or left bundle branch. In my situation they implanted a CRT/ICD (defibrillator/pacemaker) a combination devices, which can shock my heart to slow down or shock it go faster. This has been "my" life saver bc if not I would have to be put on a heart transplant. So if you have any similar symptoms continue telling them or go to another Doctor and let them know your symptoms or go see a cardiologist. All will get well for you, take care and please keep updated on your health and improvement.
  • KBUnleashed
    KBUnleashed Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am not a MD however I am a Registered Nurse. Your BP is fine. Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently?

I also would not increase your sodium level. Most people in the US do not suffer from low sodium because it's added to just about all the food we eat.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Stress can cause your heart rate to rise as well and it's just not worth being stressed over. Mention your thyroid level to your MD next time and you can also ask for a 24 hour heart monitor just to put your mind at ease. Good luck!!!
  • Palimonos
    Palimonos Posts: 1
    Options
    My pressure has been low and pulse has been over 110... not drinking much water... sounds like that may be the problem or a good place to start for a self fix huh?
  • lenamae23
    lenamae23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking plenty of water it is likely from lack of exercise or increased body mass. When I was pregnant, my pulse was 120+ and my sbp was around 80.
  • IIIset
    Options
    I know what you're worried about... this.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2309717/How-high-resting-pulse-triples-risk-early-death-Chance-increases-fit-healthy.html
    I have two predictors of early death: resting heart rate that hangs out around 80, and abdominal fat out of proportion with my otherwise skinny frame. Neither of these factors have shown any change in response to attempted lifestyle changes. They remain stubbornly exactly as they are.
    Something I think you and I just have to work with and accept is yes, we are most likely going to die a little younger- late 60s or early 70s instead of 80s or 90s. And in a way, that is alright. Kind of helps you feel committed to making the most of every day.
    Rather than having anxiety about it, accept that it is probably in the cards, largely out of our control (though of course, never miss an opportunity to make a good health decision), and no one makes it out of life alive anyway.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    I had this condition for awhile too!

My doctor told me that I was low in potassium and at the time I was pushing the water and not getting enough potassium. I had to cut the caffeine too.

My parents lived to age 98 (mother) and 92 (father). They had occasional rapid heart rhythms too. No matter what age you are, most of us want to live a full and healthy life. It matters how we take care of ourselves.

Just sit and watch the sunset occasionally or get up early to watch the sunrise! It makes me grateful to be alive! I do this! I want to live a long, long time.
  • JacquiKerzman
    Options
    Your heart is working awfully hard. My RHR is 45, it used to be like 80 when I was overweight and unhealthy. I recommend cardio sessions (if Dr approves), work that heart some. Put it this way, my heart works half of what it used to......scientifically/medically speaking that is going to make my heart go a lot longer and be healthier! Just keep doing the good stuff and you will change it all up!
  • chapklc
    chapklc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Text book blood pressure is 120/80, with text book heart rate at 80-100. So i'm thinking, you're ok. The only time we starting worrying about heart is if the heart rhythm is not normal, or if the heart rate is sustained at higher levels, 140's and higher for longer periods of time. As long as your recovery heart rate comes back down to normal, 80-110, you should be good. :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop talking yourself into a health issue.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and my doc tells me I'm just at one end of the normal scale. Apparently a resting heart rate of 100 bpm is the high end of the normal scale. Everything within that is still normal, just personal quirks.

I try to stop worrying about it now because that tends to make my heart rate even faster!

I think it's just something that's good to be aware of about yourself, but not stress over. If it generally stays the same and never gets tooooooo low (or too high with regards to heart rate) then that's probably just your normal body rhythms. If it gets worse, bring it up again.
  • IIIset
    Options
    The scientific research referenced in this article does not support the healthist ideology: get fit and you'll be well, no excuses, just doesn't explain what we see here. There are natural differences between humans when it comes to several key factors of their health, and WE DO NOT HAVE CONTROL over all of them. It's hard to accept, but that doesn't make it untrue. Also, doctors will correctly tell you that it is normal to have a resting heart rate in the 80-100bpm range, because statistically it is- the middle quartiles in RHR probably fall around 62-95. What they will not tell you is that, on the continuum of normal RHRs, those with the lower values get heart disease later and on average die older, and those with the higher ones on average get heart disease earlier and die younger. They don't tell you that because there's nothing you can do about it apart from the general guideline of eat right and exercise, which applies equally to the lucky and unlucky ones, and there's no point in wigging you out.