Cheat Days

Options
I was told that cheat days were good. But I feel as though you gain back what you lost during the week on a cheat day!! You guys have any comments??

Replies

• lovesharmony
    lovesharmony Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do not believe the entire day you should cheap but maybe just a meal out of the week. Well atleast thats what i thought.
  • acrawford2008
    acrawford2008 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well what i have learned is that a cheat day doesnt mean you eat whatever you want all day long. It is more or less that you have one thing during your "cheat day" as a treat and thats it.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. If you're doing a specific diet, I'd recommend reading up on those diets. For example, if you were doing Atkins, there are biochemical reasons not to have a cheat day. If you're just trying to reduce your caloric intake, a cheat day may be psychologically helpful.

For me personally, cheat days have always resulted in me cheating more or forgetting about my diet (literally forgetting that I was on a diet).

What I do is have ONE cheat that I can have whenever I want. For me, that's coffee. Technically, it's not really a "cheat" because I decided before I started, so it's technically just a modification of the published diet. However, I'd recommend considering having one item that is your "cheat" as opposed to a time period when you're allowed to "cheat".
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you're doing a low calorie diet. It takes me a full week to work off one cheat day. Thats because I eat to few calories for my weight and my body wants to retain all the fat it can. I consume 1500 calories a day. With or without exercise. I started at 340lbs and I'm now at 246lbs but when I go off on a binge it destoys me for at least a week. Its easier to actually have a cheat day if you're closer to your maitenance calories. Your body doesn't go into famine mode then. GOOD LUCK
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cheat days, but a day to not count calories is an excellent way to practice your portion and moderation skills. I believe it's healthy to eat at maintenance, or even a little above at least one day a week.

Remember you are trying to learn skills for a lifetime, not how to "cheat" when no one's watching. There's no reason to go crazy and eat enough to actually gain any weight.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I've always allowed myself a cheat day (except for the first 6 weeks that I started this journey) and I have never had a problem. As a matter of fact, the healthier my eating was on all the other days, the less I felt myself wanting "junk" on my cheat day.! I have never found it to hinder my progress and for me it was totally psychological. I think different things work for different people!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Do a search. It's all there. This comes up almost daily.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Don't take one every week. Try just taking them on major holidays and your birthday. I wouldn't do more than one a month.
  • kmjacobs93
    kmjacobs93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did a cheat day last week and it made me so sick! It was good for me though because now I have no desire to put cheetos and junk in my tummy!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I look at a cheat day as having a little something I havent....not an eat whatever I want and as much of it as I want day. I plan on cheating a little on my birthday but not go overboard. Going overboard is what sent me here in the first place. :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    First off I don't call it a cheat day, I call it a treat day. I worked so hard all week I deserve a treat. I don't treat myself all day long though, I treat myself to one thing I normally wouldn't and count it into my calories. I do have 1 day I will allow myself to go over if I do and not freak out about it. It's good to trick your metabolism once in awhile.
  • ronandcathy1
    Options
    I take one day a week where I reward myself for being so diligent the oyher 6 days. i do not count the calories but still I make the healthier choices, My cheat day always involve wine that is basically my one vice. I do not smoke anymore (4yrs), rarely and I do mean rarely do I eat junk food of any kind(ANYMORE). I try to avoid Lays Southern Heat BBQ chips( also a weakness)but, if I slip I don't beat myself up, because it may happen like once a month or every other month
  • LNPurdie
    LNPurdie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I want to eat something bad; I already cheated with a packet of crisp. I am craving ice cream, thank goodness none in the house. I bought some Dole No Added sugar lollies. I am over my calories now, but I think I am going to let myself. And increase my exercise tomorrow.

See how I am talking myself into it.
    :love:
  • michele_120
    michele_120 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have tried doing a "free day" in the past, and it used to work just fine for me. However I got to a point a few years ago (right around turning 40) where I would spend a whole week just trying to get back to the weight I'd been before the cheat day. So definitely not worth it to me. I will occasionally have a "free" meal or a treat but that's about it.
  • andydeluna
    Options
    i have cheat days but as long as you get right back to eating healthy again you'll be fine. your not going to be perfect all the time. what's important is that you realize it and you go back to healthy eating, there have been days where i screw up by eating pizza, a burger, or cookies, but i get started again with healthy meals and i still loose weight. the point is not to say oooh i cheated and you continue cheating.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I try to have a cheat day where I eat whatever I feel like as long as I am paying attention to portion control.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I call them "high calorie metabolism shock" days and no, you do not gain it back.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    First off I don't call it a cheat day, I call it a treat day. I worked so hard all week I deserve a treat. I don't treat myself all day long though, I treat myself to one thing I normally wouldn't and count it into my calories. I do have 1 day I will allow myself to go over if I do and not freak out about it. It's good to trick your metabolism once in awhile.

I agree :) we work so hard all week that it's ok to do so every now and then.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in a cheat day....but If I allow myself a treat like if I am at a party or something special, like once a month. I might have a little something.

I feel as if you waste all your hard work cheating and a whole day is crazy. You can rack up alot of calories in a whole day!
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    lol! I feel u...Its a mental thing. You feel like you wasted all the hard work you do. But keep in mind our bodies need a 'break' and its ok to manage your meals and still eat things you like. This is a lifestyle change and not just a 'diet'. In 'real life' we will have work luncheons, banquets, bday parties, etc and we cant shut down and not attend because 'life must go on'. We have to have self control and learn how to manage stress, life challenges, including our food choices :)

Remember also, its about caloric deficit for the weight loss. You need to have a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb of fat. So if you do have that 'cheat' meal-yes, that will make you a little further from hitting that deficit, but if you plan for it during the week, you can enjoy the foods you like. I may get in extra cardio during the week-especially if I know I have a party coming up or if I know I want my favorite breakfast on Sunday(Waffle) :) This way I still will reach my calorie deficit and I had to food I liked. But I plan for it. My nutritionist encouraged this as well! Helps you to have 'something to look forward too" and makes you stick to your plan during the week :)

Checkout these great video blogs: http://www.youtube.com/user/EatMore2WeighLess?feature=mhee Listen to the one about TDEE and I love her blogs too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN3DGdwQuWs&feature=relmfu

Have fun and it's ok to have a break and eat things you enjoy. Just dont over endulge. I try to 'eat out' when I have my endulge meal and just dont bring it home! :) I know me, if I bring home a box of donuts, I'll kill em! :)

Hope this helps! Happy journey! :)