Do you think its strict if I count calories on holiday?

Options
I didn't go abroad last year so I have 2 hols this year - woop! 23rd July for 1 week in Menorca and 12th Aug for 2 weeks in Thassos, Greece. My goal weight is really for the second holiday (130lbs) and I don't want to ruin it after that to get to my UGW (121lbs - I'm short!) sooo do I count calories on holiday? I don't want to go two steps forward 1 step back!

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I count calories every day no matter the occasion. It keeps me from thinking just because I am on vacation that I can eat what I want.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    If counting calories has become part of your daily existence, and part of your existence is going on holiday, then keep counting calories during your trip. Don't obsess over it or allow it to adversely affect your enjoyment of your time away. If your goals don't change with the change of your longitude and latitude, then you'll keep moving forward where ever you go!
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    keep an eye on them and if you over induldge just do a bit of exersice!! :):bigsmile:
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    While I may cut lose a little more, I count everyday. Times like this are a great exercise in making good food choices. The important thing is to enjoy yourself without being a glutton :drinker:
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I count on hoilday, but give myself a little lea way so if I want a treat I can have it.

And you're going to Greece. Think fill up on yummy greek salads ect.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I count every day.
    even if I'm on vacation at my mom's and get to eat whatever I want (I go only 3 times a year, so when I go I go nuts food wise)

If you feel like you need a break from counting - don't
    if you feel like not counting might be challenge - do
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you bite it, you write it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    By all means, count cals while you're away if you want to - but don't let it take over your holiday, and don't let it impact on anyone else's holiday either!
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    no, if you have a goal stick with it.We have to learn to eat right even on holidays.
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I counted mine when i was on holiday , but if i wanted a treat or went over a bit i didnt let it bother me ,you are on holiday and should be able to relax a little . This is a lifestyle change and it will allow you to see how you are in different situations , so yes count.x
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    How about going to maintenance calories and doing some exercise if you go over? That way you have some control of how bad the result of the holiday is!!
  • charliecat39
    Options
    How about going to maintenance calories and doing some exercise if you go over? That way you have some control of how bad the result of the holiday is!!

I was going to ask a similar question about holidays and perhaps staying at a maintenance calorie intake. How would I go about finding out the amount of calories to consume without gaining weight? That way I could continue loosing when I got back but not add any extra on?

I agree to keep counting as its amazing sometimes how shockingly high some foods are.
  • mrvisser76
    Options
    I went on holiday recently and was terrified that I would put on extra weight and struggle to get it off again. This spoiled my holiday a bit since I had to watch what i was eating all the time and get so depressed when I indulged a bit. When I got back, I had put on 3kg. I went straight back into calorie counting and I lost all the excess weight in 1-2 weeks! So, my advice is to enjoy your holiday, eat what you like and just get back on the 'wagon' when you are back! If you like counting calories while on holiday, then by all means do that but I feel holidays should be for relaxing and not stressing about weight.

13698903.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you bite it, you write it!

Haha love this!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think this is very individual.

In my opinion, if you've got a competition coming up, if you've got some serious health issues that are weight related, or if you're incapable of getting back on track after a "free day", then these would be good reasons to continue tracking on holidays.

But I also think that "taking a break" has value for some people for mental reasons.

Speaking just for myself, I don't track on holidays. I also take occasional days off as well -- again for mental reasons.
  • Tara_Janel
    Tara_Janel Posts: 48
    Options
    I would at least keep aware of how many calories you are eating each day. I am moving next month and we will be "homeless" IE: traveling and visiting for a month. It will be difficult but I plan on logging as much as possible!
  • wojewok
    wojewok Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm going on holiday for 11 days on Wednesday am I'm not taking my phone to be able to access MFP

My plan of attack is I've planned what I'll eat for breakfast and lunch each day, in the evenings I'll eat what I want without binging and will do exercise whenever I can.

Will let you low when I get back if it works!x
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a holiday booked for next August (2013). In fact its our honeymoon and I intend to treat my self royal style. We are going a Royal Carribean Cruise and I am working towards that date. It will be 2 weeks of solid eating and drinking what I want. When I get home I will continue then!

Have a break once in a while. As long it isn't all the time.

I should mention I haven't been anywhere for the last 3/4 years due to saving for houses and weddings and now honeymoons etc so I really am going to be treating myself!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I take frequent breaks from counting and logging. While I'm losing I take 1-2 days off each week. (Right now I'm not really logging. I'm breastfeeding and am not trying to lose.) I don't worry about parties and I probably wouldn't worry about a vacation. I'm not going to log every single day for the rest of my life, and I won't count calories forever. I'm using my time here to learn how to approximate proper portion sizes and how to estimate caloric content of foods.