FitBit,. thinking of buying one!

Options
Hiya. Does anyone have one of these? They look amazing
Do they really do everything it says? I'd be scared of losing it
At work (I'm a special needs TA). because it's so small and looks light
But I like everything it's about, would I need the internet. Only have a smart
Phone at the moment which I'm on now. Also can I be anyone friend? I've put 2
Threads and had no replies. But there looks to be a lot of lovely people on here
Thank you for reading? Gemma.
(ticker still not showing?) :-(

Replies

• 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    Someone please reply :-( so many users and I never get a reply.
  • MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You might want to do a search of groups for fitbit. There are a few on there and you might get a better response posting directly to the group. :)
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit and i love it. yes, it does everything it says it does. and yes, you need the interenet because you can sync it with mfp, but you don't have to. fitbit has it's own website with charts and graphs etc. that makes it a very motivating piece of equipment. i have the older model so there are some issues with having to remember the times you exercise but the newer model takes care of all that with a built in stop watch. i wear it on my bra and it stays secure.
  • jessylynn24
    Options
    Hi! I bought a fit bit a few months ago and LOVE mine. I wear it everyday, and love that I can sync it to myfitnesspal, in addition to the FITBIT webpage. That way, I do not have to reenter any data. I chose the fitbit over other options because I did not want to have to put it on my arm with a band. I just clip it to my skirt (waist band) and away I go. It is so easy to set up and use. I use it to challenge me week by week to improve from the last one. At the end of each week you get a weekly report sent to your email address to tell you all your totals, etc. I would highly recommend it. It gives lots of information including total stairs climbed, steps taken, and will even give you miles walked. You can wear it to bed and get sleep data as well. Hope this helps! Have a great day!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hello Gemma,

I previously had a BodyMedia Fit and recently switched to the fitbit because it is smaller and l don't have to wear it on my arm (which I wasn't looking forward to in the summer). :laugh:

I honestly think the BodyMedia was more accurate, but so far I have been loving the convenience of the Fitbit and honestly, have actually lost more weight using it. It really is an awesome tool and I find myself lost without it and really upset if I forget to put it on (like I did the other day and realized after climbing a bunch of stairs and cooking dinner and got no credit for it) Haha.

Having the Internet for it is nice since it synchs up with MFP and also because it synchs up with its own online program, but you can still get the information right on the fitbit itself. Do you have a computer with Internet access available at work or somewhere else? It really is good since the base station is what synchs things up and you can't connect that directly to your phone. So, even if you use the phone app, it won't synch it without the base station. My only gripe is that you can't purchase another base station as an accessory (I would like to have one at work too since that is where I spend most of my day).

Feel free to add me as a friend. :)

Tamara
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    Thank you! So basically it's no good without the net? Can it
    Be any kind of net? I have a dongle I could top up or does it have
    To be the proper internet? Sorry for sounding silly, just don't
    Want to buy one and not be able to use it.
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    Do you need to log in your daily food intake for it to tell
    You your calorie information. What's benefit of it being synced with
    Mfp? :-S
  • Ajmead
    Ajmead Posts: 56
    Options
    You should buy one, there great. You can link it with this app. :)
  • bimpski
    Options
    Do you need to log in your daily food intake for it to tell
    You your calorie information. What's benefit of it being synced with
    Mfp? :-S

if you sync your fitbit with mfp you only need to log your food into mfp. for me the benefit is that i don't have to log my exercise. the fitbit does it for me by counting the calories i have burned and it shows up on mfp exercise diary.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Options
    You can still use it without the Internet since the information is on the device itself, you just lose all the synching functionality if you don't have the base station hooked to a computer. You really do have to hook it to a computer though since it uses USB to connect (for the synching). If you just want to track the information yourself, you don't have to have the Internet.

The synching function with MFP is great, I prefer to use MFP for my food tracking and it automatically logs it in the FitBit site, same with excersise. With the BodyMedia I had to re-enter all the food data into their site. The other nice thing about synching is it gives you a guestimate of how many calories you will burn for the day and and also lets MFP know how many over normal you have burned, so you know how much more to eat.

I hate to say it, but having the ability to hook up the base station really makes this more useful. It's not useless without it, but you will get much more out of it if you can connect it to a computer. The other thing about not synching is you lose historical data, so if you forget to look at the device at the end of the day, you may not know how many calories you burned. You also can't track your sleep without synching.

Hope this helps.
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    Can it be any kind of internet??
  • bimpski
    Options
    Can it be any kind of internet??

i can't answer the question because i don't understand what you mean? if you are on mfp then i would think getting on fitbit.com will not be a problem.
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    What I mean is, internet like BT or Sky home broadband or
    Could I use a dongle?
  • bimpski
    Options
    like is said before, if you can access mfp with what you have why wouldn't you be able to access fitbit? i don't understand what the problem is?
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Options
    I don't think it matters how you connect to the Internet as long as you are able to connect the base station to the same device, in other words if the dongle on the computer allows you to get Internet access and you can connect the base station to the same computer (via USB) you are gold and it should be just fine. :)
  • theman49
    theman49 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I ordered one this previous thursday, should be getting it on Monday. Then i'll let you know.
    Seems like MFP + FitBit + HRM (for workouts) is a match made in heaven. I just got a sick HRM and ive been blown away at how great it is!