Water question...

Options
Do you think you lose weight easier when you drink lots of water because water fills you up so you don't eat as much? Or does water have some metabolic effect that helps weight loss?

I know it's probably a dumb question, but I was curious as to your opinions.

Replies

• terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have no idea...i just feel like it fills me up. :smile:
  • super_jade
    super_jade Posts: 72
    Options
    bump
  • kfogle0120
    kfogle0120 Posts: 15
    Options
    It has some metabolic significance as well.....continually drinking water keeps your metabolism going
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It helps flush all the impurities from you body like sodium and so-forth. It does also helps curb your appetite and keeps your metabolism going as well. I usually have 8 ounces before and after my snacks and meals which I eat about 5x days so that takes care of the minimum suggested.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    makes me feel full so I tend to eat less which equals weight loss:)
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I've heard that drinking ice cold water helps your metabolism because your body has to try and warm itself up. But apart from keeping you full, it helps you pee out bad or excess things like sodium. Also, when you workout, your muscles store water so drinking more water helps flush that out as well. It is basically the best purifier you can give to your body.
  • CarrieMyPhilos
    CarrieMyPhilos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Water definitely helps to fill you up, and a lot of time, being thirsty can feel like being hungry. So if you drink first and you're satisfied, then you skipped food you didn't need to eat. As for what it does in your body - I think flushes things out? And since most of your body is made of water, having the right amount of it in your system helps everything flow more efficiently and effectively. Just my thoughts, I'm not a professional or anything. :)
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Water helps flush the food (especially fiber) through your system and it helps to hydrate you. I think when consumed before or with meals it can help to fill you up. However, I usually get much more hungry when I drink a lot of water between meals... If I drink tea or coffee (decaf) or milk between meals - I feel full longer.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    IT helps keep u full.....and flushes stuff out....it also makes u lose ur water weight.....ur body holds onto water and when u drink more water it sees ur gonna keep it coming so it lets go of the water tat is being stored.... so more water=less water weight. lol
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Water can be good and bad.

I drink 1.5 gallons per day (yes, I pee a lot). Lots of water will actually make you look thinner. When your body "senses" that you are becoming dehydrated, it stores water within your body tissue... thus, it makes you look "puffy."

Bodybuilders (aka "meatheads" and "gym rats") drink gallons of water daily to get "ripped." (I can make fun of meatheads, as i am one.)

All that said, there is a rumor that drinking large amounts of water with meals is "bad," as it dilutes your digestive system and hampers nutrient absorption.

I'm not sure if that's true, however I do avoid lots of water at meal times, and drink buckets before/during workouts.

Just my two-cents.