Can I ask a gross question? (re: body odor....)

Options
;0
Sorry! Ok, I've been losing weight over the past 2 years. I worked out during that time but not consistently or if consistently not very much.
For the past 6 weeks, I've been working out 5-6 days a week and really sweating which is course great;)

Here's my gross question-- I feel like my body is always smelly now--even if I'm clean. Does exercise change my body chemistry that much? Am I majorly detoxing? What do you think? Or perhaps I'm loony ;)

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I found what works for me is to do a quick rinse before I exercise, put on deorderant, put on clean gym clothes, work out hard, then immediately come home and take a shower - washing head to toe and scrubbing real good.
  • Miss_E_
    Miss_E_ Posts: 45
    Options
    Also when i started working out a switched to a new deodorant that came out - sure maximum protection cream deodorant - not sure were you live or if its available but this stuff really works, i don't sweat under my arms anymore and still smell fresh after a workout :)
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    Mabye it's the deodrant isn't working. I feel like I "smell" ALL the time though--even when I have on clean clothing and have recently showered.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I use exfoliating soap or a body scrub instead of regular body wash, it makes me feel much cleaner.
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Could it be you are not cooled down before you shower and still sweating ?
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I always shower before I work out and after, and I always apply deodorant before I workout and after....also to stay dry (if need to) use powder. Also most deodorants with the word "clinical" on it is better...Pretty expensive but worth it and it lasts a long time..I use Degree Clinical and every since I switched and started using it about 5 years ago (because I was worried about odor issues as a teenager and playing sports), people and doctors recommended I switched to that, and every since it works so perfect for me. Hope this helps :)
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One thing that happened to me was our washer was a side loader, and the lady that used it before us used "essential oils" in it. I would wash a load of clothes, throw em in the dryer and they smelled clean. Later after wearing them for a little while or working up a sweat they would smell like dirty rotten gym socks. It didn't matter what kind of soap, or anything like that, something was wrong with that washer, tried running bleach through it and everything. Eventually the washer broke, we got a new one, haven't had a problem since, even with same clothes.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi but I see people posting here about using deodorants that keep your dry. The way they do that is to use an aluminum derivative to stop you from sweating. There are multiple issues you may want to consider. One is the toxicity of the aluminum derivative. You skin is an absorbtive organ. Just how healthy do you think all that aluminum that is keeping dry is?

Secondly, you body is designed to sweat. It is natural and healty. Why would you short circuit this process? Sweat at the gym and use natural deodorant from companies like Tom's of Maine that do not have the toxic metals in them. Nothing wrong with a little sweat.
  • MalissaDC
    Options
    Actually, I rarely use "real" deodorant:) I use salt crystal.

I probably typed too quickly because I'm not sure my question made sense to you:).

I'm way happy to sweat and not trying to avoid sweat. My question is that it seems to me that my body smells "stinky" all the time even if I am clean or wearing clean clothing. This is new since I started exercising more, harder, and more often. I was just wondering if that is normal to have my body smells change or if I'm just off my rocker;)!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Actually, I rarely use "real" deodorant:) I use salt crystal.

I probably typed too quickly because I'm not sure my question made sense to you:).

I'm way happy to sweat and not trying to avoid sweat. My question is that it seems to me that my body smells "stinky" all the time even if I am clean or wearing clean clothing. This is new since I started exercising more, harder, and more often. I was just wondering if that is normal to have my body smells change or if I'm just off my rocker;)!

I think it's fairly normal and the result of hormonal activity caused by the workouts. Do the salt crystals help?

PS: You may be off your rocker but this question isn't. :flowerforyou:
  • MalissaDC
    Options
    Actually the salt crystal really does help--not with sweat though but that's because it's good to sweat.

Thanks for the info--didn't think about hormonal activity.

I'm pretty sure I am off my rocker lol but who wants to be normal right? ;)!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Can you try to drink more water? Something that will flush you out.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    also check your diet.

as for deodorant i use a baking soda based antiperspirant and it works really well.

if you want to use an antiperspirant, th best bet is to put it on on when your dry so that it has time to get into your pores. then you can put a bit more on before you work on. just watch for any skin irritation. antiperspirant as the tendency to dry you out
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Could it be you are not cooled down before you shower and still sweating ?

This is what I would ask. I know I get home from running, immediatly jump in the shower, and when I get out I'm still sweating for at least 10 minutes (I know... GROSS). I think that things would work better if I completly cooled down before I took a shower.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Have you also changed your diet along with the renewed working out?

I'm finding that as I get a little older (40's) and especially with sweating - that certain foods can do that to me. Onions for example. Or Asparagus. Certain veggies. Might just happen to coincide with your increase in workout and be something else entirely? Or a new medication of some kind?
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    you might just be releasing a lot of toxins from your body if you were eating a lot of junk and not working out until just recently. just try to drink lots of water and lemon tea O: wait a week and see if that helps. if not, maybe you need to try some different body washes/anti perspirations
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi but I see people posting here about using deodorants that keep your dry. The way they do that is to use an aluminum derivative to stop you from sweating. There are multiple issues you may want to consider. One is the toxicity of the aluminum derivative. You skin is an absorbtive organ. Just how healthy do you think all that aluminum that is keeping dry is?

Secondly, you body is designed to sweat. It is natural and healty. Why would you short circuit this process? Sweat at the gym and use natural deodorant from companies like Tom's of Maine that do not have the toxic metals in them. Nothing wrong with a little sweat.

This! Just scrub really well on the pits with a good cleanser/salt scrub! I use Tom's of Maine Odor Protection - anything w/calendula works great as well! :]
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    The problem with me (as I have a similar "issue") is the laundry soap. There is only ONE thing that gets the smell from my clothes (like the above person, they'll smell clean for a short time until I've had them on for a little while, then they start with an odd odor). If I use a tide stain release pack in my wash, that doesn't happen. And the only detergent I can use with it and not get that is the Purex sheets (that go from washer to dryer). If I use one and not the other, the smell happens... that combination is the only thing that works for me...
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I am unfortunate that I sweat a lot even when I sit at my desk and do nothing at all. Sometimes I have an odor issue and sometimes I don't. Eventually had to go to the doctor and get a prescription that I use two nights a week and wash off the next morning. It has helped so much! I feel like my professional image isn't doomed anymore. :) But what I did notice was not long after I first started using it, the previous odor got MUCH worse! I was pretty worried about it, but at the time my grandfather had just died and I was dealing with being upset over that, living out of a suitcase at a relative's home for a few days for the funeral and viewing, spending time at my mother's house where they were having a flea problem and using pesticides, and dealing with relatives I hadn't seen in years. Not to mention taking three classes, working full time, and a class member sending me rude e-mails that had me in tears. I was STRESSED to the max! After I dropped a class and had been home a while and got back into routine, the odor went away. So if you are physically or emotionally stressed, it will cause odor to flair up, sometimes very badly.

During the time I was having the odor, I used antibacterial soap (bar) morning and evening to scrub, and some baby powder. Did the trick while I needed it, thankfully.
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had this problem with some gym gear I'd just bought. No matter how much I washed them, they still smelt awful. I read something online about soaking them in vinegar and thought I'd try it. Guess what... it worked perfectly. Now I do it all the time and haven't had a problem since.

Put stinky gym clothes in a bucket and fill with water. Add a cup or two of regular white vinegar and leave to soak overnight. Throw into the washing machine and wash again as per usual and the smell should have gone. No need for expensive detergents!