adding a recipe into database HELP!

Options
anawhatsme
anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
is there a better way?
when i try to enter my ingredient measurements, i only have certain ones to chose from.
2/3 of a cup is non existent.
i hope i'm missing something because this will not work for me.

help??

Replies

• chellebelle315
    Options
    I have to adjust most of my measurements to decimals and I look for measurements in cups or ounces. (Preferably ones that have at least a couple of member confirmations. For example-- 2/3 of a cup is .67 of a cup, or 5.34 ounces.

Hope this helps! I use the recipe builder all the time, you kind of get used to it.

I used to use a measurement calculator a lot -- there are 16 tablespoons in a cup, for example. I also use a lot of the whole food measurements (.5 of a medium apple, or .5 of a medium onion, 1 medium carrot, etc.) It isn't super exact but it's close, and I make sure I'm exact on higher calorie foods like meat, nuts, oils, and dairy.

I was SO SO SO happy when MFP added a recipe bulder, but before they did I used the one at sparkpeople a lot and then just entered nutritional information here as a new food. We're not supposed to post links to competing sites, but if you google "recipe c alculator it comes right up. I think there are more measurement options in the sparkpeople database, but I think it's a little clunkier and there are fewer ingredients in it. (But it's still a good alternative if you want to play around with other options.)
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    wow - you're helpful.
    thanks a lot!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    And a handy hint when you are searching for ingredients - look for foods with no * in front.
    These have been entered by MFP, not users, and mostly have a range of measurements including cups, oz, 100g etc.
    Then you can choose .66 of a cup (for 2/3 cup) or .38 of 100g (for 38g) etc.

If there isn't one of these entries, you sometimes have to check a few items to find the measurements you like - I usually skip over the ones in ounces for example and look for an entry iin grams. But, if I can't find it I'll do a quick calculation - 1oz = 28g, but I usually multiply by 30g because I can do that in my head!

I also find it helpful to add the word "raw" to a veggie name (carrot raw) for example. This is more likely to give you the MFP entry and you don't have to wade through pages of carrot soup and carrot salad.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I try and weigh everything in grams if possible, or convert to cups or tablespoons, teaspoons, oz's, stuff like that. It is a pain in the butt at first but you get used to it and start getting good at fractions. I keep a sticky note always open with common conversions that are helpful. Like 4 TBS in a 1/4 cup, or 1 tsp = 0.33 tbs and so forth. After a while it becomes 2nd nature and you will be a math genius. What I hate sometimes is figuring out how many servings it actually makes.
  • Pebble321
    Options
    I agree, the servings can be tricky. My solution is to make an estimate (or if I'm using a recipe to enter what they say) and then once I've served it out, I'll go back and adjust if needed.
    For example, yesterday I made soup. I guessed 6 serves, but when I started to portion it out for my work lunches, it made 7 serves. So, I changed it in my recipe and went back and deleted and re-entered it in my food diary (when you change an recipe it doesn't automatically change the amount in your diary or your recent foods list).

And I often enter a "4 serving" recipe as 5 serves because my husband eats a bigger portion than I do - that allows 1 serve for me and 1.5 for him over 2 meals.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    add the ingredient if u can, to the database. if u do not kno, look up on line and u can find it to add to database. use a code or initials when u add to database so ull know its urs.. good luck sweets
  • Pebble321
    Options
    add the ingredient if u can, to the database. if u do not kno, look up on line and u can find it to add to database. use a code or initials when u add to database so ull know its urs.. good luck sweets

But only add it if it isn't already there..... the database already has so many duplicates, it doesn't help to add yet another "canned tomato" entry because you want a serving size of 93.5g.
  • chellebelle315
    Options

But only add it if it isn't already there..... the database already has so many duplicates, it doesn't help to add yet another "canned tomato" entry because you want a serving size of 93.5g.

Yep. I always try to use what is there first, and I always look for the original MFP entries especially for whole foods. For brand name stuff like canned tomatoes, beans, stock, etc. I check what has already been entered against label information. One of the things I like about MFP is how much user generated content there is in the database, however I wish there was some moderating going on or a way to report really inaccurate entries so that they can be corrected or deleted. I never enter my recipes or meals into the main database...I figure no one needs or wants to wade through the calorie count of my green smoothie, but if I use an ingredient that I can't find-- like a store brand of bread or a brand of frozen spinach I add those to the database with as detailed nutrition information as possible.