weight gain due to stress?

Options
Recently I've been under a lot of stress with my college exams and I put on quite a lot of weight. Not because I've been eating more than usual or less healthy foods. It was simply what the stress did to my body. I'm still really far behind on my work and quite stressed. But this has really got me down, because it set back all the progress I had made. And it feels like it's not even something I can control, it's something that my body did to itself, and I don't really know how to fight it. I've gained weight especially on my belly, around my bellybutton, and I've been researching and it seems that this can, in fact, be due to elevated levels of stress. Apparently, when you get really stressed, your body releases the hormone cortisol, which causes your body to release sugar into the bloodstream to fuel the 'fight of flight' response caused by stress. Since you aren't really running from danger, the body stores that sugar as fat. And if it's released repeatedly through stress, it has a tendency to accumulate around your belly.

Does anyone have any advice? Anything I can do to help this, or reduce stress? Any special exercises or foods I should be eating? Does anyone else struggle with this? I feel so alone, and helpless, because it's not even that I've been eating more or worse, it's my body doing its own thing, and my belly is my biggest insecurity :c anyone have any views on this? Thanks a lot to those who take the time to reply, I really appreciate it <3

Replies

• gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There are ways to reduce stress. Hopefully your exams are now over or are almost over if you're on quarters, so that should help a little. In terms of ways to actually reduce stress, I've never tried any of these but I've heard yoga and meditation can help. Exercise also helps a lot. The longer you exercise, the more endorphins are released, so I'd suggest making sure you keep your exercise up. Stress also has a way of decreasing your desire to exercise. Clearly, the easiest way to decrease stress is to remove or reduce stressors, but that may not be possible. All of these are all easier said than done when you are busy. It may also be a good idea to talk to someone about how you're feeling (a close friend, or even one of your professors if you have a good relationship with them). I feel a little hypocritical saying that because that would be pretty difficult for me, but I do know it can help some people, so that is another option.

In terms of losing weight, I think mental health definitely plays a critical role and stress can do a lot of damage to your body, but you may also be unintentionally and without noticing eating more or reducing your exercise levels. It's a good idea to do what you can to reduce stress, but I think it can also be used as an excuse for gaining weight.

I believe that the best way to lose weight or stop gaining weight or whatever your goal is is to change the things that you have the most control over. It's way easier for you to exercise an extra 20 minutes a day than to worry about how to reduce your stress especially when the stress is related to something you have no control over (it's not like you can just forget about the exams).
  • Joyounette
    Joyounette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I've been there. I've gained a lot of weight due to stress, most of it coming from very stressful exams. Chances are you are eating more without even realizing it, I know that every time I'm stuck at home studying I end up nibbling at something.
    What I've learned from my experience is that whenever I try to focus on both exams and weight loss it's a total disaster on both levels. Maybe it's just me but my body getting out of control and my intelligence being challenged are two of the most stressful thing I've dealt with and they both lead to very low self-esteem and very weak will-power. So you're not alone in this.
    What has worked for me is to just stop thinking about my weight until my exams are over. Just accept that you are going to be a little overweight for a while. You are putting so much effort into studying that it's okay if you let your body go for a while. We are not wonderwoman and there is only so much we can focus our attention on in a given amount of time.
    Once you're done with your exams focus on weight loss and try to get in a daily exercise routine. I've finished my exams a little more than a month ago and I've already lost ten pounds since then.
    Good luck
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Prolonged stress is a significant factor in increasing the amount of cortisol your body produces, so scientifically speaking, prolonged exposure to high amounts of cortisol because of stress can lead to your thyroid being suppressed and this is significantly related to weight gain, because your thyroid is responsible in controlling how your body utilizes energy. Also a blood sugar imbalance is pre eminent with too much cortisol, this can cause an irregular secretion of insulin, which again, is also a significant factor in weight control as insulin controls how fat and carbohydrates are metabolized in the body.

In conclusion, to answer your question. Yes, stress can lead to weight gain.