Couch to 5K, is it possible?

Options
Admittedly the title is a little misleading, I am sure it is possible to go from couch to running 5k. My issue is that I am 275lbs and haven't run even the shortest of distances in the last half of my 36 years. I recently joined and gym and, to my utter surprise, I am finding myself enjoying the time I am spending there, even through the aches and tiredness that inevitably follow. I tend to stick to the treadmill and walk at about 4mph for around 35-45 minutes, this leaves me sweaty, tired and invigorated at the end of it and now I would like to take this further by working some goals into my exercise.

Is this something I could undertake at my current weight and fitness level or is it just a recipe for injury and failure until I have lost more of my weight?

Any advice on this matter is welcome and appreciated.

Replies

• Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Hi! I am 36 and overweight!

I started couch to 5k a while ago, it's been stop/start for a little while but I am now enjoying every run. Very possible, fairly easy and extremely enjoyable! Just take it slow, you'll be absolutely fine. I am a big fan of the program!
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I got the app for my phone and did the trainings to prepare for my first 5K. Granted I wasn't running the full amount of time that the app wanted me to run at the end of the training. However, during the actual race I alternated between jogging and running and sprinted at the end. I also felt like I could have kept going. Oh, and I did the race a few months ago when I was 35 and 300lbs. 36 now and feel better than I did 10 years ago.
  • cinemafromage
    Options
    Definitely possible! I'm 38, just weighed in at 301 and completed C25k week 4, Day 1 yesterday! Was it hard? Most definitely! It's very doable though! As Elizadolots said, just take it slow and you'll be fine. The key is, you set your own pace, as long as you run the times they've laid out. You don't have to go fast, just find the pace you're comfortable with! My speed is usually right around 4.5 , so not much faster than what you're doing on the treadmill anyways!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It is totally possible.

I am 43, started C25K in January when I weighed 307 pounds... now its about 4.5 months later and I'm down to 254 pounds, am running 18-20 miles a week and next monday I start a half marathon training plan to get ready for my first HM in September.

I'm not saying you will have the same results that I have, just that it IS possible to start C25K when you weigh that much and succeed at it.

Give it a try if you are interested.

Make sure you have good running shoes and pay attention to small aches and pains BEFORE they turn into big injuries.

Ted
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You should be fine with c25k if your doc's cleared you for vigorous exercise. 4mph is already a fast walk pace. I'd start on the dreadmill though since it is what you are used to. I'm on wk 6 and it is a great program, though I do find it really challenging from week 4 on. Congrats on coming this far, and have fun with the running.
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Work your way up to fitness walking on a threadmill (inclines, speed etc). Move on to the C25K once your weight is below 200. At your weight fitness walking will get your heartrate up enough to get a good burn and cardio benefits.
  • Nigelmouse
    Nigelmouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did C25k when I was about 240lbs (I was 38 at the time). I don't see why you can't have a go.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It is possible and you can do it!

Some recommendations though...

1) Take it slow. Running is not about beating a number for pace or speed (unless you are racing a 5k, of course). Don't try to run too fast. Run at a speed that you can breathe fairly easy and could talk if necessary. Running slower and longer is better for your weight loss journey than fast and short.

2) Take it slow. If you have trouble with a week, repeat it. Everyone is different in how their bodies react to running. It takes time to build and train your muscles, ligaments and cardiovascular system to support your running habit. Your body will tell you when you are ready for the next step.

3) Aches and pains will come and go when you run. Almost every run, something will hurt. From all I have read and experienced, you need to take care of the aches that don't go away after a few minutes. For example: I'll be running and my knee starts to hurt. I'll run another 5 minutes and if the pain is still there, I'll slow down or stop. Most times, it goes away and something else will start to feel uncomfortable later. This, in my opinion is normal, especially the longer distance you run.

Good luck on your running! It is an excellent way to burn calories - I've lost almost 70 pounds so far!

Also- look up 'mid sole running' on google for some good information on proper running form. It should help from hurting your knees and hips!
  • samanthabeever1610
    samanthabeever1610 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    yes!!! im 300+lbs and have been following the c25k program admittedly im not very fast but im managing it and every time i do it i get faster and recover quicker :) yes it hurts and yes the first time i did it i thought i was going to die and then next day couldn't move much lol. but the other day i went to a local lake with my husband and children , the idea was he was going to walk round with our youngest son and i would do the c25k with my eldest son, thinking that i wouldn't really be that far in front of him as i was only going to do week one how ever after we had finished c2k no husband in sight lol 45 mins later he catches up!!! and says u just ran off lol never ever ever did i think that someone could say those words to me at this size!! give it a go u having nothing to lose expect lbs :P
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    no reason why walking can't offer you the same increase in aerobic fitness and in fact put you in a better place to run later and help reduce the risk of injury. Try to walk for longer or introduce some incline to get you working a little harder. i am sure you could run at your weight right now but you dont need to in order to get where you want to be.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do my c25k on an elliptical. I just put it on light resistance, and go as hard as I can for the run segment. Using the elliptical means there is no impact from hitting the ground, once I'm good on the elliptical, I'll move to actual running
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I just finished it in 9 weeks and I am now down to 272... so YES YOU CAN!!!
  • boldonbiglad
    boldonbiglad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes it works and I got to week four but had some major issues with my Asthma and had to stop. But in thoose four weeks it worked and I was running as far as I was supposed to. Might give it another go..
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you mean well and I agree that walking does provide great benefits - I did months of walking before I even considered running just a little - but if I waited until I was under 200 pounds to start running, I never would have done my first (or second) 5k. As it is, I'm still well above 200 pounds and I can go out and run 5 miles when I feel like it. The amazing thing is that I feel like it quite often. Granted, I'm not the most fleet of foot guy out there (my run is sometimes more of a quick lumber), but I can do it relatively comfortably and without injury. By the end of September, I plan to have completed another three 5k's and one 10k and odds are I will still be well above 200.

That said, I believe in doing a lot of walking before you consider running. Get your legs used to moving your weight around. Throw in some cycling to keep up the cardio without pounding your legs if you can. The more you do beforehand, the easier it will be when you do start to run. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself. That would be a shame as I've found that running is the nastiest, ugliest way to wind up feeling pretty great. Some days, it just sucks. But you do the miles and sweat the sweat and, afterwards, you feel so much better. Good luck.
    Work your way up to fitness walking on a threadmill (inclines, speed etc). Move on to the C25K once your weight is below 200. At your weight fitness walking will get your heartrate up enough to get a good burn and cardio benefits.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I adore this program, it's really easy to get into running! I've been doing it for months now (not consistently I must admit as I run outdoors and in London the weather has been horrid) but I've just restarted week 6 once again (third time now? LOL!)

I really love c25k, you should definitely give it a try as it's free!
  • jessimom
    jessimom Posts: 29
    Options
    Yes, do it! I am half way through and was really out of shape since I couldn't do anything but walk a little while pregnant due to heart stuff ... Started after I recovered fully from my c section. If one day or week is too much, just stay with the one below it for a while ... You can still walk afterwards to get a full workout. Right now I am running at 4.5 mph and plan on picking up speed once I can do this for 30 mins.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I got the app for my phone and did the trainings to prepare for my first 5K.

What is the name of the app? I have the FitnessPal app.
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do this as well...I am terrified of running on the treadmill...lol...What's the app?
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Never mind, I found it! Good luck