Game of Thrones

Options

Replies

• glengiles
    glengiles Posts: 147
    Options
    I've seen bits and pieces of both seasons but just started reading the books yesterday. I was hoping the books would be more cohesive and not plot jump like the series but that's not the case. I'm only on chapter 6 or so but there's not been two chapters that consecutively stick with the same character. I've read other books/series in this genre with this style and I find it confusing and annoying.
  • CiarraCA
    CiarraCA Posts: 56
    Options
    best book ever. just finished the first and now going to rent season 1!!!!! How could they kill Ned???
  • LeighAnnH75
    LeighAnnH75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is by far the best series I've seen on TV in a long time. Love it!! I'm almost done reading the first book and I'm sure I will have them all read before season 3 starts lol. As for the white walkers....I see Khaleesi burning all of them to the ground with her dragons. She is amazing...I love Arya too! Stick em with the pointy end!
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping for some more insight in to what was going in in the season finale,left me with more questions than answers but definitely can't wait for Season 3 to start. Can't wait to watch me some more Jon Snow!! O and really really hope Joffree get's what's coming to him,for a kid I really can't STAND him lol
  • LauraS2112
    Options
    They have condensed some story lines from the book. The bottom line is Winterfell is in ruin, Theon's luck has changed, and we shall meet The *kitten* of Bolton in S3.

The way it is in the book just would never have worked on screen.

Theon is one of the most interesting people in the books.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Best show since The Sopranos! Cannot wait for Season 3!
  • chrisms84
    chrisms84 Posts: 8
    Options
    SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN ALL OF S2 YET

I have not read the books but love the series.

During the final episode, am I the only one confused by what happened at Winterfell? One minute they were surrounded by an Army and they had knocked out Theon Greyjoy to take him home, the next thing the castle has been burnt to the ground and there is nobody to be seen. What happened to Greyjoy, did they get passed the northern army and if so how? Who burned the castle? Is this explained in the books, because the episode just seemed to skip over the entire thing!

There is a lot more detail in the book obviously and this is the way it happens. Theon takes Winterfell and releases Ramsay Snow who is the *kitten* of Roose Bolton, he (Roose) and Robb talk in an episode about flaying a man alive (the Flayed Man is teh House sigil of Roose Bolton). Winterfell gets surrounded by Rodriks men and Ramsay tells Theon he can get men to fight for him and Theon lets him leave to call his men to arms. Ramsay takes Rodriks men from the rear killing them, then once Theon opens the gates to Winterfell after the battle Ramsays men take over Winterfell (and its presumed kills Theon) then they burn it to the ground.

Im assuming theyll tell the story about Winterfell next season through someones recalling of the events but thats just speculation.
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm reading the first book at the moment and rewatched the last episode of Season 2 last night.

I love it!!! Daenerys and her dragons are the best!
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have only seen the odd episode since it started, but I have read the books and love them.
    If you enjoy the series you should definitely read the books as they are excellent. My brother is not a big reader at all, but he got through the 5 books in no time.

Book two was my favourite, so I'm betting season 2 was excellent. I'm going to wait and get the box set for Christmas.
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options

During the final episode, am I the only one confused by what happened at Winterfell? One minute they were surrounded by an Army and they had knocked out Theon Greyjoy to take him home, the next thing the castle has been burnt to the ground and there is nobody to be seen. What happened to Greyjoy, did they get passed the northern army and if so how? Who burned the castle? Is this explained in the books, because the episode just seemed to skip over the entire thing!

It's hard to say, since they've changed things from the books.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for bringing this up!

I love that show and im reading the book at the moment coz i cant wait that long for season 3 :D
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE this show. I have even starting reading the books.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the first book at the moment and rewatched the last episode of Season 2 last night.

I love it!!! Daenerys and her dragons are the best!

Shes my fave and Arya and Jon :D
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Ive read the books and I'm not going to spoil. The third book is the largest of the books and they are planning on splitting it up into seasons 3 and 4 on HBO. The third book in my opinion is the best in the series. There are some moments where I had to set the book down and just say, "Holy S#!t, no F-ing way!" and re-read it again to make sure what I read just really happened. The next couple of seasons should be fun.
  • Slynderize
    Slynderize Posts: 25
    Options
    I just bought the first book to help curb my withdrawals! I think they intentionally left the Winterfell situation ambiguous to be cleared up next season.

Here's a hilarious parody that helped be get through the season finale realization (spoilerish..so dont watch if you haven't seen thru season 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rapo0h-RDnk
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I purposely did NOT read the books....sometimes i do, only to find myself picking apart a movie or tv show, as the imagery will never match your imagination. I have all the episodes D/L'd....so will have to re-watch around thanksgiving...

Now time to catch up on the Borgias...haven't watched any of Season 2 yet...
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Mahjohn, that is how I thought I would feel. I love the books and am nearly always disappointed by book to film/tv translation.
    However, from what I have seen the show was really well cast and although it doesn't follow the books to the letter it's a very accurate depiction (considering the length of the books). The books of course have more detail and more information but I wasn't disappointed at all by season 1. I haven't really followed season 2 so I can't honestly say. I think the characters are great and the guy who plays Tyrion is excellent.

The books really are brilliant and it will give a whole new dimension to the story. I think the writers do a great job but they just can't get EVERYTHING in. With the books you get the fuller picture. I don't think reading the books will make you hate the series if you already love it.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have read the first book now onto to the second....

Having seen the second series, I thought it was up there with series one... Although I had a moment when I thought Tyrion had died :frown: Thank goodness not!

I did get a lump in my throat when Danerys was in the House of the Undying in Qarth (the greatest city that ever was or ever shall be) and she opened the door and Khal drogo was there with Rhaegar the baby....:ohwell:

I did understand that Greyjoy got a spear in the back at Winterfell..... But that was from the Thronecast programme we had after the last episode....
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Yeah I was kinda confused by that as well...
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

It's hard to say, since they've changed things from the books.

From what I assumd (havent read the books)
    was that theon made his speech and got knocked out by his own men to take him home.
    The northern army were just about to attack winterfell (because of that "bloody horn blower", and so theon and his twenty men left, and the northen army burnt winterfell to the ground?

Doesnt make sense as to why rob would burn his home down? He was too busy off getting married to realise his army burtn down him home?

Beats me but thats how i saw it