Need to VENT (and maybe a hug)

Options
Last week was terrible.

On Monday, I was over my calories by 700 (that was the night with the macaroni & cheese abundance). And then 2 or 3 days more I was over. My AVERAGE was over my 1200 allowed calories.

In the middle of the week, I got the 30 Day Shred videos from the iTunes store, then tried to use it at home but had technical difficulties. I managed to do 1.5 days by watching the video on YouTube but stealing Wi-Fi is not very reliable, and of course the internet crapped out and I couldn't complete Day 2.

Then last night some friends invited my boyfriend and I to a BBQ, when we went to the grocery store to get steaks, I caved and bought 2 boxes of freshly-made cookies. Chocolate ones.

So this morning I was up 2 lbs.

I know, 2 pounds is not a big deal, but I've only lost about 11 lbs in total and I've been consistently losing every day. 190.1… 189.4… 188.9… 187.. etc. So to see this 2 lb gain after having such a bad week, it BLOWS (I thought about the possibility of ganing 2 lbs of muscle from 1 day of 30 day Shred, lol, I wish).

My boyfriend offers zero support. Any time I try to talk about this stuff he either argues with me and says that I'm doing it all wrong, OR he views it as me "complaining about being fat all the time".

Alas, with no one around me offering support or motivation (even someone de-motivating me…) I turn to you, My Fitness Pals (hahahaha!!) for these things. I know you're all in the same boat as me, some are doing much better and some are maybe doing much worse.

If you have some nice things to say, I would greatly appreciate it. Help me have a better Monday!

xo

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You're not up 2 lbs. of fat in one day. If you went to a BBQ last night, it's quite likely your sodium intake was very high and you're retaining water. Also, starting a new workout like 30 DS will cause your muscles to retain water for repair. Give it a few days and it will likely disappear.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It happens to the best of us. The trick is to pick yourself up and move on. Assuming you are aiming to lose 1 lb a week, remember that the first 500 calories over your limit will not actually cause you to gain weight, so you are not overeating as much as you think you are.

Be kind to yourself. :)
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You're not up 2 lbs. of fat in one day. If you went to a BBQ last night, it's quite likely your sodium intake was very high and you're retaining water. Also, starting a new workout like 30 DS will cause your muscles to retain water for repair. Give it a few days and it will likely disappear.

Holy crap you're so smart. Ha! If repairing muscles need water then no wonder. I've been aching for like 4 days. I hope you're right!
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This definately happened to me on saturday AND sunday! I just started over today!. and DID not go near the scal. Wah lah! Its like Magic. Now im back on track
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It happens to the best of us. The trick is to pick yourself up and move on. Assuming you are aiming to lose 1 lb a week, remember that the first 500 calories over your limit will not actually cause you to gain weight, so you are not overeating as much as you think you are.

Be kind to yourself. :)

^^^This!^^^ :flowerforyou:
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ok so if your weight was 187 yesterday and you're up 2 lbs today...that's not fat...that'll be possibly an excess of sodium at the BBQ leading to water retention today. I did the same last Sunday, weighed Monday, up 3lbs. Drank some water, went for a long walk (it was a holiday here in the UK), thankfully we went to a touristy spot for our walk and there are plenty of loo stops along the way because in the space of about an hour and a half I had to pee 4 times lol It's like my body was finally releasing all the extra water.

What I will say is that since changing my calorie allowance from 1200 to 1750 a day I feel waaaay better. I'm subscribed to the Eat More to Weigh Less group and once I read the stickies, many times I admit, it all began to make sense.

1200 was too too low. I worked out my BMR to be 1370, my TDEE (the calories my body uses throughout the day - my weekly exercise is included in this number) to be 2102. I then worked out my CUT number 2102 -15%. I eat that number each and every day to lose weight. It's a small deficit and it's certainly not a get thin fast method but I feel it's healthier and sustainable.

The sustainable part is the most important thing to me. I like knowing when I wake up what my calorie target is for the day and find it a much easier way to work eating out into my new lifestyle.

I've been doing the Shred DVDs too, 3 to 4 times a week together with some walking/elliptical/bike.

If you fancy working out your numbers and just getting a clearer idea of what I've said check out this page http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Good luck. It's a bummer when you're not surrounded by support in real life :flowerforyou:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Most likely it's your muscles holding on to water as they repair themselves, and given the previous night's BBQ, high sodium-intake water retention.

Stay the course, keep working hard and don't forget, you didn't put the weight on overnight so it's not going to come off overnight.
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Take heart my friend! Its not a sprint! This takes time...and weight will fluctuate! Surround yourself with positive people, and as hard as it often is, make sure you are your OWN best cheerleader! If you're not doing it for yourself, you're not doing it for the right reasons! You've got this!!!
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    *HUGHUGHUGHUGHUG*

As longas you enjoyed those cookies and macaroni cheese then thats fine, forget about it and move on. You need to stop dwelling on what you've done and just start fresh, drink a load of water and get yourself back on track as quickly as possible. It happens to everyone! :) xx
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options

^^^^^TOTALLY THIS!!!^^^^ For the most part you seem to be doing well...everyone has issues, but the best thing to do is keep on trying!!!
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Options
    You might also be bloated from some of the unhealthier foods. Try to eat some good old fiber in the form of salad or fresh veggies, and stay away from the sodium for a day or two. Drink water! If sodas are your vice, abstain for a couple of days...I'm a recovered Diet Coke fiend! This will give that water retention the one two punch! And smile! But don't ever give up!
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options

^^^ This
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It happens! but it doesn't mean the end! You can do it! And for your boyfriend.... The first time he mentions how great you look , say , Oh I must have been doing something right after all huh? :P Do this for yourself dear :) And know that one bad day or even a bad weekend does not have to be the end. get your walking shoes on and walk a block further or push yourself an extra 5 mins at the gym, you will feel so much better xoxoxo
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

this and also being over your calories isn't the end of the world. You are logging your food so at least you have a better idea of what you are eating.

Having treats is not a punishable offense! Enjoy life still and carry on. Eating healthily and exercising more is the best you can do and is setting you on the right course.

Good luck, I know you can do this!
  • gaveruz
    gaveruz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's why after days like that (for me it was yesterday too) I don't step on the scale at all! I learned my lesson and I allow a few days to elapse before weighing myself. I feel devastated myself for yesterday, but more so because I do it every weekend not only yesterday. You'll be fine in a couple of days!
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the majority here, it's most definitely/probably water retention :) Damn Sodium is a *****!!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It's just bloating. I'm sure you realize that :) but it is still hard to see, I understand!!!!

((hug))
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You might also be bloated from some of the unhealthier foods. Try to eat some good old fiber in the form of salad or fresh veggies, and stay away from the sodium for a day or two. Drink water! If sodas are your vice, abstain for a couple of days...I'm a recovered Diet Coke fiend! This will give that water retention the one two punch! And smile! But don't ever give up!

I quit drinking sodas when I was about 13, but I recently discovered diet sodas have ZERO calories! But they have aspartame and I am prone to migraines so not a good mix. I bought a case of diet 7up and diet pepsi because it fills me up, maybe it's just making me bloated and not satisfied in my belly. I will leave them in the fridge and let someone else drink them!

:smile:
  • heartofdorkness
    Options
    Holy crap you're so smart. Ha! If repairing muscles need water then no wonder. I've been aching for like 4 days. I hope you're right!
    Make sure you drink plenty of water before, after, and occasionally during your workout. My legs were stiff and I hurt all over after my first day of working out. I thought it was just because I was horribly out of shape, but it was actually because I had barely had any water. Once I started staying hydrated, I felt much better and I've never gotten sore since. (Well, there's been some muscle soreness, but not to the point where I have to literally crawl up stairs!)

Just remember that your weight will fluctuate for a variety of reasons, usually water retention. The scale might say you gained 2 pounds, but I'm sure you didn't eat 7,000 calories at that BBQ, and I'm very certain no one force-fed you them in your sleep. ;)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I agree. I regularly lose 2-4 pounds every monday from the crap that I've eaten over the weekend. Dinner with friends, eating out, and eating my kids' leftovers adds up from Friday through Sunday.