Sick of Thick Thighs? Me too! (pear-shaped women)

Options
agbaeb
agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
Ok, so I'm beyond the looking ok in clothes point. I workout for me, to be a good steward of the body God has given me, and to please my wonderful husband by offering him a wife who cares about satisfying him.

I get the skinny jokes. I'm the "don't the turn sideways or you'll disappear skinny". I'm the "you must way 100 lbs" (I DON'T) BUT... if I wear shorts or if I'm in a bikini.... my thighs are massive!

I'm not talking "big to me". I'm not talking "I'm anorexic and just self-conscious". I'm saying they're noticably large. My husband recognizes it. My family recognizes it, and I'm kind of self-conscious about it. I've got a bony upper body and legs that are way too large for my body. I know people call that pear shaped and I know that's a part of life genetically.

My question is:
If I weight-lifting, am I going to build bulky muscles on my lower half? I got these huge legs 1) horseback riding 2) just benig a pear and I'm afraid of them gaining in size as I work out. I know cardio is supposed to help, but I run about 20 miles/week (just ran 12 miles on Saturday training for a 20k).

Any help would be wonderful. I know I can't "spot treat" but what have you found successful?

Replies

• kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I too am pear shaped. I've had large butt & thighs at 104lbs and even larger butt & thighs at 204lbs. It is the way I am shaped, I have worn a size 6 on top and still need a 12 for my hips and tighs! I get your frustration. Three children and 20+ years of marriage only made it worse. That said, my weight loss goal was also to glorify God with the body He gave me, that other would see His Spirit in me and NOT my FAT!

Your question, what has helped? I have only recently had great success with 'spot treating'. I walk longer distances as opposed to running. I do Pilates stretches to lengthen the muscles. I have been having regular (monthly) massages to stimulate and move toxins (cellulite) from that area. And I have added compression shorts to help blood flow in that area.

For the first time in my life my hips & thighs are begginning to look 'normal.' I'm not there yet, but they are not nearly as out of proportion as they have been. I have also used weight training to build muscle on my upper half to even out my overall appearance.

I do hope this helps, I'll be interested to see other's solutions!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I do Pilates stretches to lengthen the muscles.

This is not possible. Your muscles are one length and this cannot be changed, no matter how much we wish it to be so.

I wish I could offer more help. Since I started weight lifting my calves have become awesome but my thighs don't appear to have changed at all. I still have a lot to lose, so I'm hoping it goes, but as a lifttime softball player I'm not hopeful. I'm trying to learn to love them.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I started lifting about 4 months ago, and I lift heavy (to become stronger and build more muscle). I'm losing weight, and my pants, around the waist, are huge. But they are actually tighter in my thigh area now.

I spoke with a trainer, and he said to lift light. Stop trying to build muscle mass and work on sculpting. He said to go ridiculously light, and then do no more than 4-5 sets with 10-15 reps per set. So I've been doing that.

I also do lunges as well as walking and biking.

I really don't think there is much we can do in regards to having a larger lower half. I'm a size 6 in my waist, and a 10 in my butt and thighs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been dealing with this issue my whole life. Even when I was tiny (size 2 tiny), I STILL had a big butt.

God made each of of differently and unique. I think as long as you are eating healthy and exercising, maybe you should give up the dream of the "perfect" body (because really, what is that?). I have chosen to love my shape. Yeah, I wish I could look like a Victoria's Secret model. But I don't, and I get tired of feeling guilty because I don't.

At least you know you are not alone in the "Sisterhood of the big booty." ;-)
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I also have a skinny upper body and big legs. It bugs me. But: are your legs thick but firm? Because I don't think that looks bad at all. I can see that, even through I don't have any weight to lose from my head to my waist, there's still fat in my legs. If they were firm and muscular, I think I'd be at peace with them. Thick ankles and all.

Anyway, I run about 20 miles a week, too, and my legs look better than before. But FAR from great.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No - I have never found the "magic bullet" for thin thighs (I'm 50+). Even at my lowest weight 106 lbs (5'5") I still had big thighs. I exercise for my health .... and tell myself it has to be enough.

As far as getting bulky, that is not the "norm" for women .... but there are exceptions (Mary Lou Retton).

Some women swear by THIS exercise..... other women swear by THAT exercise ..... you would think if THAT really was the "magic bullet" .... every woman would have the same answer. Answers vary .....so NO magic bullet (IMO).
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm beyond the looking ok in clothes point. I workout for me, to be a good steward of the body God has given me, and to please my wonderful husband by offering him a wife who cares about satisfying him.

I get the skinny jokes. I'm the "don't the turn sideways or you'll disappear skinny". I'm the "you must way 100 lbs" (I DON'T) BUT... if I wear shorts or if I'm in a bikini.... my thighs are massive!

I'm not talking "big to me". I'm not talking "I'm anorexic and just self-conscious". I'm saying they're noticably large. My husband recognizes it. My family recognizes it, and I'm kind of self-conscious about it. I've got a bony upper body and legs that are way too large for my body. I know people call that pear shaped and I know that's a part of life genetically.

My question is:
    If I weight-lifting, am I going to build bulky muscles on my lower half? I got these huge legs 1) horseback riding 2) just benig a pear and I'm afraid of them gaining in size as I work out. I know cardio is supposed to help, but I run about 20 miles/week (just ran 12 miles on Saturday training for a 20k).

Any help would be wonderful. I know I can't "spot treat" but what have you found successful?

What some people do not "get" is that BODY TYPE is an Immutable Characteristic. What does that mean>>>It is YOU, it is "GOD given like your skin color, eye color, hair color (you can tan, bleach or dye, but it is STILL the same naturally.) You can lose weight but your Body Type will remain, learn to accept it and enjoy it, there's nothing wrong with it.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would try 30 day shred. I did lose 2 inches of my thighs and about 3 inches off my butt and 3 inches off my waist. I going for round 2. Its intense but it does work.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    try pilates leg work out...tones really nicely without bulking up
  • amcarad
    amcarad Posts: 2
    Options
    IKR! Being built like this sucks. I used to weightlift before I had kids and my thighs just got out of shape and stayed huge.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You have 33" hips and 19" thighs. I don't see anything unproportionate about that.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

My question is:

What some people do not "get" is that BODY TYPE is an Immutable Characteristic. What does that mean>>>It is YOU, it is "GOD given like your skin color, eye color, hair color (you can tan, bleach or dye, but it is STILL the same naturally.) You can lose weight but your Body Type will remain, learn to accept it and enjoy it, there's nothing wrong with it.

Yes, embrace it!!!! A-line A-line A-line. Dresses, skirts etc. not much you can do wearing shorts, but for the nights out or anything else you can "dress' for. A-line is the most flattering for pears :) I get frustrated too, but I was a fat pear and now want to be a skinny pear....but I'm always going to be a pear :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i also have thick thighs and although my midsection is slimming down nicely, my thighs are slower to respond.

just keep in mind if you're pear shaped, genetics wants you to always be a pear shape so you will always be a pear shape. that means that you'll notice your weight loss is much slower on those areas. not saying you cant slim them down, but it'll take some time

anyway, what's been working for me is just generally eating below my TDEE and consistent exercise. i lift heavy weights and am the type who gains muscle and strength easily but i'm not getting "bulky" because i'm not overeating. bulk has more to do with the amount of fat over your muscles than the actual size of the muscle itself
  • amcarad
    amcarad Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a problem with exercising because I have a bad back. I also have problems with both of my arms and if I push them I can't even lift my 2 year old. There are more things I can't do than I can. I'm 205 at 5'1 right now. I'm trying to eat healthier but I only have so much money to spend on food for me and 3 kids. (The older 2 won't eat most of the healthy stuff I fix)
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I guess I can't complain too much. God does make our bodies special and unique and we're not all VS models (I'm not sure they are either... ever seen those videos about photo shop??) lol

I guess I'm having the hardest time b/c I've had the thighs I wanted at one point....
    When I was at GW the first time; I was exercising less, but I had the thighs I want...
    Today I'm healthier for sure (overall) but I am having a hard time getting rid of these last 6-10 lbs that are ... lol...stuck in my thighs!
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    just stick with it. at least you know where those last 10 pounds are :laugh:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The point of this thread (I believe) is that for some of us .... this is where the 10 pounds will FOREVER be. Some people don't get it. It's like telling a really busty woman "with diet & exercise she can achieve an average figure."

As stated before, I have weighed 106lbs (I'm 5'5") and had fat legs. The logic of your statment .... If I weigh 96 pounds, I would then have thin thighs? I get where anorexia comes from.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

The point of this thread (I believe) is that for some of us .... this is where the 10 pounds will FOREVER be. Some people don't get it. It's like telling a really busty woman "with diet & exercise she can achieve an average figure."

As stated before, I have weighed 106lbs (I'm 5'5") and had fat legs. The logic of your statment .... If I weigh 96 pounds, I would then have thin thighs? I get where anorexia comes from.

wow you fail and you completely misunderstood me, obviously didnt read what i wrote previously about once a pear shape always a pear shape.

i didnt say you're thighs would be thin, just that they would be slimmer. i'd never use the work "thin" because thin is relative so what i consider thin might not be considered thin by someone else. you will almost always have the same shape, but that shape will be slimmer.

besides that you seem to not understand that weight has very little to do with your body composition. if you have "fat" thighs and are underweight then you obviously need to work on developing some muscle. plus if the issue looking imbalanced then exercise can also help with that (ie weight training to develop shoulder and more of a v shape to your back)

and gee i had no idea i had that much power to make people develop anorexia :noway:
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I like my pear shape. Gives me a round bum and strong legs.
    It will be nicer once I am not overweight and more healthy.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    While I do complain about my thick thighs at times, I am proud to be a pear shaped woman. My husband loves my ample booty and hips. But the more weight I gain, the more out of control it gets to me. I have a magic weight/size and when I'm there my body is as close to proportional as ever. That is around 6 or 4. At that size, I can go to a store and buy a size 6 suit for work and both pieces fit, now I'm about an 8 at the top and 12 or 14 at the bottom.

Even though I have thick thighs they are pretty muscular, I think the important thing is to avoid exercises that will bulk. Running is great for leaning. Also embrace what you have, most men find butt and thighs very attractive
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's Killer Buns and Thighs! I have a large lower half as well and this has made a noticeable difference!!