cardio or weights first?

Options
Hey all, does it matter if you do cardio or weights first? Are you suppose to warm up your muscles with cardio before doing weights???

Replies

• chrisrollins1
    Options
    Cardio needs to be done after weight training for the best results. Yes, you can do some cardio as a warm-up, but limit that to 5-10 minutes, and do the bulk of your cardio afterwards.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Weights then a bit of cardio...

If you do cardio first you will fatigue your muscles for weights...

I do about 6-8 minutes of dynamic stretches, then weights, then finish it off with about 20 minutes of HIIT elliptical (do ~ 4.5 - 5 MPH for 3-4 minutes then do 6+ MPH for 60-90 seconds - keep zig zagging for about 20 minutes)

I don't do cardio specific so if you do things like running and such you may want to separate out the days you do full cardio vs days you do weights.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I agree- 5/10 minutes cardio warm up then weights last cardio again if ya need it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do Cardio and Weights on separate days.

Main reason being, I do total body weight training.. and when I strength train, I go till failure. By the time I'm done, there is no way in hell that I am dragging my butt over to the treadmill section at my gym and hopping on for another 20 to 30 minutes.