Physical Activity List (Brainstorming Session)

Options
I truly believe the best way to lose weight / get healthy is to find 1 to 5 physical activities you ACTUALLY enjoy. If you enjoy it, you'll lose track of time, and burn / firm / trim like crazy without realizing it.

If you hate it, you'll stop doing it.

For example... I love to fight (martial arts), spar, work the heavy bag, shadow box, etc... I can do that stuff for hours, and completely lose track of time in the process.

On the other hand, if you put me on a treadmill, I'm ready to throw myself under a bus within 5 minutes.

I'd like to hear what unique activities people enjoy, that burn fat and get your heart rate up...

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Wii Zumba
    Running
    Playing with the kids (biking, scooters, playground)
    Wii Fit
    Country Dance
    Weight lifting
  • CoCoBean14
    CoCoBean14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My little sister and I played on the cargo net playground at SeaWorld. It was a load of fun and I was exhausted by the end! I'll have to go with my HRM one day

And I agree with the country dance. :)
  • TheSlimWithin
    Options
    Swimming
    Freestyle dancing
    Elliptical trainer
    Zumba aerobics
    Wii Fit

:drinker:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Find a group of friends to enjoy an activity with... In my case, I run with and coach a group who keeps me coming out.

Volunteering to coach and participate in a sport you enjoy keeps you engaged. When you have a schedule to keep for other people, you are more likely to do it for yourself.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Country dancing?

Nothing good can come from country dancing.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I love swimming! And I really enjoy Walk Away the Pounds Videos. I know a lot of people thing they are annoying, but they work for me! I especially love the Walk and Kick one where they do kick boxing moves. I enjoy biking soooo much (both indoors and outdoors) and I love pretty much any kind of workout with my friends! :)
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Boxing
    Soccer
    Kayaking
    Sprints
    Circuit training
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Trail hiking
    golf
    bike riding
    golf
    heavy bag
    golf
    lifting
    golf

Not in that order! :laugh:
  • DrGeriK
    DrGeriK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love:

1) Zumba
    2) BodyPump
    3) Tae Bo
    4) Bike riding

I'm starting to take up running, but I'm not sure I like it or not. Even with doing Zumba and Tae Bo, I am getting winded.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, if you put me on a treadmill, I'm ready to throw myself under a bus within 5 minutes.

Love it! I always say I'd rather just shoot myself in the head than spend half an hour on a treadmill.

Rollerblading
    Dancing
    Rough housing with my dogs
    Trampoline with my kids
    Volleyball
    Hiking
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Elliptical machine
    Tae Bo
    Biking
    Walks
    :)
  • SunshineDieter
    Options
    Spinning, vibe cycle and body combat :)

I also love boxing (just punching pads) but my boyfriend encouraged me to start MMA, but I quit after a few weeks to his utter disappointment. It was fun, just not for me!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Country dancing?

If you dance backwards you can get your wife back, your car back, your dog back.... :wink:
  • niallse
    niallse Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi

Running,
    Swimming
    Cycling
    Walking
    Wii :-)
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Lifting
    bike riding
    gardening-lawn work
    bootcamps-ropes-trx-tires
    volleyball
    hiking
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1. Figure Skating
    2. Hockey
    3. Zumba

I know it's June....I think my Canadian is showing...summertime is the BEST time for ice sports!
  • gchutson
    Options

Love it! I always say I'd rather just shoot myself in the head than spend half an hour on a treadmill.

Rollerblading
    Dancing
    Rough housing with my dogs
    Trampoline with my kids
    Volleyball
    Hiking

Treadmills are used to extract information from terrorists. They're just wrong.
  • CoCoBean14
    CoCoBean14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Country dancing?

If you dance backwards you can get your wife back, your car back, your dog back.... :wink:

ahhaaha too true.
    I've done line dancing which is actually really fun. And I don't even like country music
  • bakay138
    bakay138 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Running with my running class. (we do different workouts each week and it alleaviates the tedium I feel when running).
    Zumba (my new fav!)
    Biking
    Ocean swimming
    Cleaning house vigorously. (as least you have a clean house at the end and yes, it is a work out the way I do it, lifting furniture, running a vacuum up and down the flight of stairs, jumping to clean the top window, etc).
  • gchutson
    Options
    Elliptical machine
    Tae Bo
    Biking
    Walks
    :)

Elliptical machines are evil.