Running

Options

Replies

• Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else here - totally C25K! Awesome programme, I used it and am still running :) Have fun!!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    I finished C25K yesterday, while running the course for the 5k I am signed up to run on June 23d. This program rocks, and it WORKS! C25K and some really good, fitted shoes, and you're good to go.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    What speed on the treadmill should you use for gentle running?

Probably a 4.5, that's a really easy jogging pace for beginners. If you need to, walk 5 minutes, jog 2 minutes, repeat until you can slowly increase jogging time. Good luck!!
  • buhller
    buhller Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ditto on Couch to 5k. When I started (at 215 lbs), I actually couldn't even jog the 60 sec intervals in the first level -- I had to do 30 secs, and build myself up. Within a couple of months I had worked through the plan, and ran a half marathon last fall, and now training for #2. It really does work wonders!

Intervals are great (compared to the same time period of just walking) because you're getting your heart rate up over a long enough period to get some good aerobic exercise, and to burn the calories you're needing to.

Also second on the shoes -- I tried starting out in my 4 year old shoes, and started dealing with things like tendinitis. The shoes are definitely cheaper than trips to the doc, and make the whole thing way more fun!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    1st stop go to a running store and get good shoes! Then I would suggest either the C25K or intervals. 3 min walking 30 sec jogging at a comfotable speed. Slowely adjust the walking time down and running time up. Good luck!
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    c25K program is wonderful! the bridge they do to a 10k is also spot on and helps you get passed the 3 mile distance. take your time, go slow. start with jogging. the more miles you put on the better. quickness comes in time. remember to stretch both before and after going for a run. stay hydrated. listen to your body, take rest days. YOU CAN DO IT.
  • mami2threeboys
    Options
    yes yes definately c25k
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I weigh 250 lbs and I want to start running. What is the best way to start for me?

17233086.png

Your best way to start running is actually by walking and keep walking until you can walk long distances without getting out of breath then move to jogging and then to running. Good Luck
  • faffajane
    faffajane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Zest have a book out called 'Running made Easy' It has some really good tips in it on how to start,, a week by week programme to get you building up your runs in the same way as C25K. I found it really helpful and when I started was about the same weight as you as well. Trust me that first week was a killer, I thought I was going to die, but managed to get there in the end until an old injury reared it's ugly head. I would advise getting your gait analysed at a good shop so that you buy the right trainers for you though to prevent injury. The book can be purchased on Amazon.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    also just start walking and then another day walk a little further. when you feel like you can jog for a little jog, push yourself to your limits but don't hurt yourself. do whatever you feel your body can handle. one day you'll look back and realize how far you've come and be amazed, this is what i did.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

I started out running (or well it's more like jogging) at 4.5. I found that if I tried going faster, my endurance was zilch at first. Build up the endurance, then work on the speed (if you want).
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    c25k...i did it when i weighed more than 250. i still run now and its amazing how much easier it has become :) good luck!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5K definitely. I have an app on my Android called RunDouble and am on week 3. I never thought I'd be running at 3 minute intervals for about 30 minutes, but so far this program is as good as everyone says.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Probably a 4.5, that's a really easy jogging pace for beginners. If you need to, walk 5 minutes, jog 2 minutes, repeat until you can slowly increase jogging time. Good luck!!

I started at 4.0!

I agree with everyone.. couch 2 5k.. and if that feels too hard, what my group does is each week twice..
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K yesterday and it is a great program, great socks and great running shoes. And some good music on an I-pod helps! Feel free to add me if you like.
  • heatherallen1020
    Options
    I was wonder the same thing? I am also 250 and 5'7..I try to run but my front shin starts to hurt after 2-3 mins.. So i just give up is that normal for my size?
  • hollyhurr
    hollyhurr Posts: 1
    Options
    I got up early this morning for my first ever crack at C25k. Not gunna lie, I couldn't do it and nearly threw up. It wasn't too awful though, I'm definitely going to try it again tomorrow morning, just jog VERY slowly on the running bits. Good luck!
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I started C25K about 3 months ago and loved it! I ran my first 5k right after finishing the program and now I'm up to 5 miles! I'd never ran before in my life and now I'm running 5k's and working towards a 10k! Awesome program!
  • AngieBil
    AngieBil Posts: 28
    Options
    Couch to 5K worked for me. I LOVED it! I always wanted to run but had zero endurance. This app helped me go from 30 seconds to running my first 5k race last weekend. I ran 30 minutes straight. It really works. All you have to do is dedicate 3 time per week... Good luck! You can do it!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I am doing a running program that is very similar to Couch to 5K and just finished day 3 this morning. I'm loving it so far. The way it combines walking with jogging/running is very effective in making sure you can get through the whole workout. It makes the whole program seem doable.

I've never been a runner. I really don't like running, or I didn't. But I thought it might help me lose weight. I also had arthroscopic knee surgery 2 years ago so I was concerned with running but so far my knee hasn't bothered me at all.

I was afraid to start at first but now that I have, I'm definitely going to complete the entire program. I might be addicted.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--9397-2-1X5-3,00.html - 8-week Beginning Runner's Training Program