Running

Options

Replies

• chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I was wonder the same thing? I am also 250 and 5'7..I try to run but my front shin starts to hurt after 2-3 mins.. So i just give up is that normal for my size?

Start slow. LOTS of stretching, and find better shoes.. I had this problem for years, and finally got some minimalist shoes by New Balance and the difference is so crazy. I also have to do yoga at least once a week.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    C25K!!!

I was 200lbs when I started MFP and probably like 190 when I started C25K and I'm down a total of 25lbs and just completed Week 7.

Take the time and spend the money to get a good pair of sneakers - they can make or break your run. Download an app that tracks your time, miles, estimated cals etc (I personally use Endomondo but there are lots of them out there) and some method for following the program. I use podcasts from Robert Ullrey that I download each week and swear by but depending on what kind of phone you have you may not have access to them. My understanding is there are tons of FREE apps that can guide you and let you listen to music while running.

Key tips - good shoes. take your time - you are not training for a marathon (yet), you are simply teaching your body how to run. If you are having trouble controlling your breathing then you need to slow it down a bit more. For me the first couple weeks were the hardest because I had to program my body how to move and I had to de-program my brain from sabotaging me. DO NOT GIVE UP on yourself. Some people find the program easy and for those of us who don't - it's hard. At some point though you will break through and it will be easier to keep going, easier to control your breathing and you will look forward to getting out there to get it in.

Please feel free to add me (anyone) if you want some C25K support. I adore this program and want as many people to take on the challenge as possible!!

:flowerforyou:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I might give it a try too.
  • AngieBil
    AngieBil Posts: 28
    Options
    I was wonder the same thing? I am also 250 and 5'7..I try to run but my front shin starts to hurt after 2-3 mins.. So i just give up is that normal for my size?

I don't think it has to do with your size... it could be that you are over-doing it to begin with.. or it could also be your sneakers. I've learned that a good sneaker makes all the difference in the world! * I note thought that I'm no expert on this topic.. I could be completely wrong :|
  • mhcrunner1
    mhcrunner1 Posts: 11
    Options
    First of all, you need to make sure you have good running shoes that you use only for running. If you try to run in old shoes, it will be too hard on your knees. Then start by walking for 2-3 minutes and then jogging for 30-45 seconds. You can gradually increase the length of time you are running and then gradually decrease the amount of time you spend walking until you reach your goals. Always start with a slow warm-up and finish with a cool-down and stretch. Stretching after you run will help you muscles recover and help reduce soreness.
  • mhcrunner1
    mhcrunner1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Make sure that your shoes are actually running shoes (not cross trainers) and that you only use them for running. If you have trouble with shin splints, make sure to stretch your calf muscles before and after you run. It may also help to ice your shins before and after you run. One exercise you can do on your off days to strengthen the shins and help prevent shin splints is to sit in a chair with a towel at your feet. Use your toes to scrunch the towel up.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've always been a 'casual' runner but have just started training more intensely. I've heard couch to 5k is excellent and would suggest starting there!
    My word of advice, don't do too much too quickly because it can really take a toll on your body. A foam roller is a great investment (a large foam tube that you roll over muscles to decrease soreness) and can really help you recover faster! :smile:
  • sschmidt928
    sschmidt928 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm on the C25K bandwagon too. I "hated" running - now I can't wait to get out there.
    Also - do not slack on your shoes. Go to a running store, have your feet measured, try on a bunch of pairs of shoes and talk to the salesperson until you feel you have the best fit. Spend the money - the right shoes will help keep injuries at bay.
    Good luck!
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    C25K is a good place to start, interval training will definitely get you running a good distance in a few weeks. As for form, being a little heavier you'll need to take care. I would say avoid the heel strike altogether, go for 180 foot strikes per minute and keep your landing foot under your center of gravity, landing mid to fore foot. A faster strike frequency with shorter stride with help with impact and it's generally considered a good way to run long term.

If you get tired, shorten your stride
    If you're ready for more lengthen your stride without sacrificing the mentioned form.

Breathe into your tummy, not your chest... your shoulders and arms are a lot of weight to move
    Keep your arms relaxed and swaying parallel, not crossing over your body. Hands soft like you're holding something fragile.
    Keep your head neutral, it's heavy!
    Don't try to leap forward, it's a sport of attrition that rewards efficiency

Best of luck to you, running is a very rewarding sport.
  • kerri76
    kerri76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program last night. I had used it last year and was running 5K's. I loved it. It felt amazing to be able to finish a 5k. Then I stopped. :( So I am restarting. Someone told me to only run 3 days a week. Can I do more?
  • bennieangel
    Options
    I tried C25K & didn't like it. I ended up using 3 Weeks to a 30-Minute Running Habit from About.com - they send you emails for what your running routine is for the day (or next day) & you just have to do what they say. From there they have other programs to build time or distance (all free).
  • Bigjohn312
    Options
    First... check w/ your physician to make sure you're ok for running. If you get a "go-ahead", then start with making sure you have "good" running shoes. That's a very important step. Many high profile and popular shoe makers "DO NOT" make running shoes rated for people over 200lbs. I had this problem. I was spending alot of money buying shoes and then having to stop using them after 2 or 3 weeks. I finally went to an athletic shoe store that specialized in runners footwear. They had a machine that you stood on and it measured my feet for pronation, arch, etc. Then they actually had me try on several pairs and do some "running" so they could see my stride. I'm not advocating any brand but some of the better brands for people who actually "run" (including jogging) are Asics, Saucony, Brooks, Mizumo, and Spiras. Bottom line... the feet are extremely important.

Next, start with a good warm-up and run for time. The amount of time is not important even if it's only 30 secs or 1 minute. The important part is to maintain good form and stop and walk when your breathing becomes labored. Form is more important than speed. Once your breathing has normalized, repeat. They key is to monitor your time. For example, if you do this for 30 minutes, you may have to walk for 25 and will have done 5 mins of running. As you progress you will see the walk -vs- run time change. Just make sure you have a good stretching and warm-up/cool down routine before and after. Also, there are several websites (runners world, runningintoshape, livestrong.com, etc) that have tutorials, advice and tips that are helpful. Do a little research and work out a routine that's good for you.

Have fun & don't hurt yourself ;- )
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k.... you can do it on a treadmill as well
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    There's a C25K group on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Come and join us!

I'm just on to week three. I never thought I would be able to run and today I ran for three minutes solid. Big achievement for me! Hoping to be able to do a 5k race in a few months time.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said! Couch 2 5K is awesome! 65 days ago I started walking, I was close to 330lbs and I could only jog for no more than 30 seconds without feelings like dying. I slowly worked on my fitness over the last 2 months. This week I am 313 lbs, I just completed Couch to 5K, Week 1, and I am actually able to jog at a slow pace for up to 3 minutes now. YOU CAN DO IT! Just get started! Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program last night. I had used it last year and was running 5K's. I loved it. It felt amazing to be able to finish a 5k. Then I stopped. :( So I am restarting. Someone told me to only run 3 days a week. Can I do more?

The 3x per week is a guideline that allows your body to recover after a run. Try adding in another day (especially since at the beginning your total running time isn't all that much) and pay close attention to your body. Everyone is a little different so you need to discover what your own body can and can't handle.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try running in a pool. Water sports are much easier on your joints and the chance of getting injured is much less. You possibly could burn more calories doing aquatic exercises because more heat will be lost in the water than in the air.

If you really insist on running on land, then you better have health insurance.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    LOL at the speeders here....I'm on week 6 of C25K and I only run (well, jog) at about 3.3! I feel REALLY slow now haha....I call it "turtling". I run outside the majority of the time but I have used the treadmill a few times due to weather. Try the C25K and don't worry about how fast you go! Work on your endurance and speed will come naturally later. I started at 248 pounds, and I did get shin pains at first but I pushed through and they went away after the first couple of weeks. I also am finding that each time I run, my heart rate doesn't shoot up nearly as high as it used to and I am able to control my breathing better. I love this program! Oh and I strongly agree you should get fitted for running shoes. Not sure if that had anything to do with my shin pain going away, I got my running shoes a couple weeks into the program.

Good luck, you can do this! I have found that this is more of a mental thing than physical. Try pushing yourself further and further each day. Take "I can't" out of your vocabulary. When I run, I think to myself "Okay now just make it to the next mailbox..." or "Focus on getting past that tree up ahead!" When on the treadmill I think "Okay only 30 seconds to go, give it all you got!" I just keep doing that over and over, it's like a mental game I play and it works. Friend me if you like!
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Definitely C25K! I am on my third week and I love it!! I haven't run in years and this program made it really easy to start again