Running + Stray Dogs

Options
Question for those animal-loving runners out there...how do you handle dogs that are barking and running up to you? Do you keep running and ignore or do you stop?

I love dogs and don't think I could carry a stick to fend a dog off, but I have felt threatened on more than one occassion and wanted to know if anyone had any tips.

Replies

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You can't simply "Dog Whisper" your way out of an altercation with a stray or loose dog. This is what has worked for me over the years.

1. If they're barking from a distance, and not approaching me, I just keep an eye on them and keep moving.
    2. If they are coming at me, I slow to a walk, then immediately pick up a few rocks just in case it comes down to throwing something.
    3. If after #2 they are still coming at me, I'll turn towards them, flare my arms out, and as I walk towards them, start barking the word "NO!". Most loose dogs are only bluffing, and don't want to actually engage a threatening person. If they are going to bite, it will likely be from behind as you run away (you triggered their prey drive).

I've never had to throw a rock, and have some dogs get within 20 feet of me when I called their bluff, before they start to back off.

I've also never changed my route because of that one dog that runs off the porch at me. In those cases, I just crossed the street ahead of that house to buy me more space between them.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    and as I walk towards them, start barking

TA barks at dogs? Why am I not surprised?
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: I don't like to use the word "shout". It doesn't convey the guttural tone I use when I say "No". So, instead, I say "bark". LOL
  • MrzBlessedLady
    MrzBlessedLady Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I usually just carry a stick(and a knife for perverts) if Im walking in my neighborhood and they wont bother me lol
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I stop. Running from a dog tends to make them worth. I can generally tell the difference between an excited dog, and a genuinely aggressive one. In my experience genuinely aggressive ones aren't bounding up barking, they're the leery ones that slink up behind you , they're more growly than barky.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You can't simply "Dog Whisper" your way out of an altercation with a stray or loose dog. This is what has worked for me over the years.

1. If they're barking from a distance, and not approaching me, I just keep an eye on them and keep moving.
    2. If they are coming at me, I slow to a walk, then immediately pick up a few rocks just in case it comes down to throwing something.
    3. If after #2 they are still coming at me, I'll turn towards them, flare my arms out, and as I walk towards them, start barking the word "NO!". Most loose dogs are only bluffing, and don't want to actually engage a threatening person. If they are going to bite, it will likely be from behind as you run away (you triggered their prey drive).

I've never had to throw a rock, and have some dogs get within 20 feet of me when I called their bluff, before they start to back off.

I've also never changed my route because of that one dog that runs off the porch at me. In those cases, I just crossed the street ahead of that house to buy me more space between them.

Thanks for the great advice!! I've had a run in last week with a large dog coming at me and it scared the crap outta me. I didn't let the dog see I was scared, though. I slowed to a walk, looked deliberately at the dog and he stopped about 2 feet in front of me. I kept walking like I didn't care and he went away. That really rattled me!!
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I see 2 possible ways of looking at this problem.

1) You could use this as motivation. Run faster so the dogs won't get you.

2) You could learn how to tame the rabid dogs. Learn the thing from the Crocodile Dundee movie, in the scene where he makes a water buffalo move. I think spending some time with aborigines is a good place to start.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    It depends on what the dog is actually doing. If they are just running with me, I just continue to run. If they are running straight towards me and barking, I will stop running and shout "Go Home", "Stop", or "No". They will usually back off at this point. Then, I continue walking until the dog is out of site. I haven't had a dog to go beyond this. But, I do carry Bear Pepper Spray so that I can spray them if they get too close.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I just ignore the dogs altogether unless they are coming after me,......then I run fast while yelling profanities :) haha I love dogs though so I would be that guy that stops to pet the dog
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

I have carried hair spray before and actually had to use it! I figured it was less toxic to use than pepper spray. LOL I think I made the dog more pissed off, eventhough he did run away. I just hate hurting animals.
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I usually slow down to a walk also. I use to carry a stick but I always felted off balance because it was a big stick. Now I carry peppers spray for the dogs and ther perv's.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    good tips... Haven't come across any stray yet on my runs but will keep it in mind for future if needed :)
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: I don't like to use the word "shout". It doesn't convey the guttural tone I use when I say "No". So, instead, I say "bark". LOL

I'll remember this next time I'm approached by a dog on my morning runs. And try not to laugh my *kitten* off :wink:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    You can probably just ignore most of them but the big scary ones that get too close can easily be persuaded to leave with a quick shot of pepper spray. It's totally harmless except for the temporary discomfort they feel. Takes all the fight out of a dog instantly. A small canister of pepper spray fits easily in your hand and wouldn't even be visible to anyone who saw you jog by. Doubt you'll even notice the weight.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I work in a dog training facility & have foster countless number of dogs. The best thing to do if they are very close to you is to slow down and stop running and act like a tree. DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT with the dog as that is a threat to them, do not bend over the top of them, allow them to smell you if they so choose but ignore them until they move on. Having something to put between you and the dog such as a tree or object will also be helpful. Once you know if the dog is going to be friendly you can start to walk away don't just start running again or they will play chase.

If you want to feel safer yes have a small stick that you can hold out for them to bite on, or carry some treats in your pocket and throw them away from you as if they are really a lost dog food is beneficial, however in most cases "Strays' or lost dogs rarely want human interaction as they are in flight or fight mode and by fight I don't mean run after a person for no reason.

My dogs will bark and run at anyone that comes into my driveway / yard but once they get a smell they lose interest unless it's my lab then he'll bring you his ball to throw for him.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Hose them down with dog repellent like Halt! or pepperspray in a pinch.

On my bike, I use my airhorn. It's worked amazingly so far.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Timely question...I must have encountered this situation at least 6 times today, but I was running with my chi. The more agressive of the dogs I just turned around before he saw us. He was playing rather roughly with other dogs and his owner had ZERO control over him. I figured I didn't want to take the chance.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Please please don't run faster as some people have suggested. It really is the worst thing you can do. You can't outrun a dog. They're quite a bit faster than the average human, and they *will* see your attempts to outrun them as provocation.
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I usually run with my dog, and he gets to them before they get to me. And then, all he wants to do is play ...play... play... play... play.

I usually have to yell at my dog, other dogs just end up very confused as they are immediately distracted by a giant hairy playful dog.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Damn It. I run through a pretty rough urban circuit and finish off at a country park.

Im sick of gangsters and strays pursuing me as If I am the last food source remaining on the planet.

Im going to go buy an M16 and go running with THAT.

Oh..and dear dog owner, just because your pit bull or doberman '' only wants to play'', it doesn't mean I have to play with it.