Eating Dinner 1st or Exercising 1st

Options
Which is best to do first, have dinner or walk on my treadmill? I thought it would be walk first, but my husbamdsays I shouldhave dinner and then walk..... What to do?????

Replies

• Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise on a full tummy, so I always work out before I eat anything...for me, work out, and then eat breakfast
  • CoachSid
    CoachSid Posts: 13
    Options
    Walk first, it increases your metabolism and helps to burn more of the calories that you eat
  • thatblueyedchic
    thatblueyedchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've heard that walking within an hour after eating helps with digestion. Not sure though. I'd be curious to hear as well.
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I always eat first if it is just a walk, I feel that it helsp wih my digestion.

if I were going to exercise more vigorously, I would probably do it before, or at least wait a while after.

hope that helps
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner before I workout. I feel I need the energy to go through my workout. If I workout in the morning, I need at least a protein bar first. But that's just me. If you can push through without food in your belly, by all means go for it.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Either or...because you said walk...It's up to you..

but if you said run...I would say don't eat dinner "RIGHT" before.

I prefer to exercise before eating though...
  • Jelly6739
    Jelly6739 Posts: 8
    Options
    I knew I was right...!!!
  • kimmvpt
    kimmvpt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Depends on your schedule....I eat first then exercise for hour...
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Walk first, it increases your metabolism and helps to burn more of the calories that you eat

hrmm...
  • wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    depends on how long ago your snack was. if it's been a couple of hours, i would fuel up with dinner first, then walk. i prefer to eat, wait 1/2 hour- 45 min, then exercise.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    you need to find out what works best for you .... I do better working out on an almost empty stomach ... everyone is different.
  • BloSSom46
    BloSSom46 Posts: 2
    Options
    I really don't think it matters. I would eat my lunch and then walk. I think the important thing is to just exercise and burn those calories. I walk the dog and then have supper. It's the exercise that is important along with a sensible eating plan.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I do both, sometimes I get started while something is in the oven, then take a break to eat and finish off my treadmill work after dinner. I actually prefer to do my treadmill work after dinner. I never get cramps or feel lethargic when I do this.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter, but I can't workout with anything in my tummy. I get a little too queasy otherwise.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I like to eat an early dinner (between 3PM and 5PM), and go work out at about 7:00 in the evening. This works well for me.
  • Lidenbrock
    Lidenbrock Posts: 47
    Options
    My understanding is that after you eat you body should be concentrating on digesting not having to split itself between that and exercise - so walking off a meal is not what you're supposed to do. In other words exercise then eat - though not right away.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, neither way is "better."
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I always exercise before eating. I can't stand to do it on a full stomach.
  • bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always eat first if it is just a walk, I feel that it helsp wih my digestion.

if I were going to exercise more vigorously, I would probably do it before, or at least wait a while after.

hope that helps

this is what I do
  • jwh225
    jwh225 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If it's a walk, and not a run, I'd do dinner and the walk. That way you can burn off any sugar spikes you may have picked up from dinner.