Replies

• dahvishont02
    dahvishont02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Delta Sigma Theta!!!!!!!!! Mu chapter. Putting some color on the board. LOL
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    Kappa Kappa Gamma alum from U of Missouri. Greek love!

Kappas in the house! I'm a Kappa too.
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Chi Omega - Sigma Beta Chapter @ Montana State University!! Ill be looking for your group!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Here is a definition:

A sorority if a fraternal organization for college aged women. Traditionally, they were formed as a "sister organization" to a men's collegiate franternity, but not all sororities were founded that way. They are part of a larger governing body called the Nationall Panallenic Council, which sets forth guiding prinicples for all memebr organizations (sororites and fraternities) to follow. Most take thier names from a combination of Greek letters.

Sororites and fraternities are "members only" type organizations, with membership requirments and rituals that are hundreds of years old in some cases. In addition to social activites, they have high academic standards and community service requirements for their members.

Upon graduation, members become part of their respctive group's alumi associations, and can remain active in this group throughout thier lifetime. Almuni groups offer adults an outlet for socialization and community service.

Thanks - i'm still not totally sure what they 'do' as such, but thanks for the definition :smile:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Here is a definition:

A sorority if a fraternal organization for college aged women. Traditionally, they were formed as a "sister organization" to a men's collegiate franternity, but not all sororities were founded that way. They are part of a larger governing body called the Nationall Panallenic Council, which sets forth guiding prinicples for all memebr organizations (sororites and fraternities) to follow. Most take thier names from a combination of Greek letters.

Sororites and fraternities are "members only" type organizations, with membership requirments and rituals that are hundreds of years old in some cases. In addition to social activites, they have high academic standards and community service requirements for their members.

Upon graduation, members become part of their respctive group's alumi associations, and can remain active in this group throughout thier lifetime. Almuni groups offer adults an outlet for socialization and community service.

Thanks - i'm still not totally sure what they 'do' as such, but thanks for the definition :smile:

It's like a social club on college campus (and for alums after). There's a formal recruitment period, dues, initiation rituals. They are "secret" societies with histories, traditions, and rituals known only to initiated members. They are a way to get involved on campus, get to know like-minded women, and make friends. They sponsor philanthropy events, throw lots of parties, and wear a lot of matching outfits.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    ZTA Alum (Susquehanna University) that graduated more years ago than I want to admit ;)
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It's like a social club on college campus (and for alums after). There's a formal recruitment period, dues, initiation rituals. They are "secret" societies with histories, traditions, and rituals known only to initiated members. They are a way to get involved on campus, get to know like-minded women, and make friends. They sponsor philanthropy events, throw lots of parties, and wear a lot of matching outfits.

Ahhhh I seeeee! Thank you for the description :bigsmile:
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Mu chapter @ Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OHIO!! Pledged 1993! TFJ!!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options

Ahhhh I seeeee! Thank you for the description :bigsmile:

You're welcome! There are lots of stereotypes about sorority girls in the states - positive and negative. Personally, I went from a small town high school to a huge state university, but rushing a sorority (aka a "house") immediately introduced me to a group of girls my age that I could go to class with, eat meals with, go to parties with, study with, etc. We also did a ton of events with fraternities (the male version), including buying blocks of tickets for sporting events (which is how I met Mr Cheesefries). :drinker: There was always something to do, and I loved it. Now that college is over (and has been longer than i care to admit) I can still network and socialize through alumni connections.

There are also Greek-letter honor and service fraternities, but they have a slightly different emphasis.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I just wanted it to snow.....

127687_o.gif
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Behind that preposition.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Behind that preposition.

:laugh: :heart:
  • kmmicco
    kmmicco Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Mu chapter @ Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OHIO!! Pledged 1993! TFJ!!

TFJ sista!!
  • peachlow
    peachlow Posts: 91
    Options
    lol...its a group of females belonging to the same social group of like interest...some are college based while there are also community based sororities also...there are many...the major one's here in America are termed "Divine 9's" while there are others that were formed for their own particular interests...most have a common goal, share ideas, and perform community services, etc...
    What is a sorority girl?

It's ok, I don't get it either - but that's because it doesn't apply to the UK, we don't have sororities :smile:

Well, I think it's some sort of secret society, because nobody seems to want to explain what it actually means! So far, the horse picture is all I have to go on! Oh, and that it happens in groups of 3 or more... :laugh:
  • peachlow
    peachlow Posts: 91
    Options
    LOL...think we are the only 2 posted....
  • kmmicco
    kmmicco Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    LOL...think we are the only 2 posted....

Hey ladies! There's a women on here..a few posts back, that sai she wanted to be a Delta so bad but was nervous about it. Maybe you can let her know how awesome being greek really is!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Alpha Sigma Alpha alumna here. Our mission statement is to create women of Poise and Purpose. We are based on Christian values, but we welcome all. All sisters did 50+ hours of community service a year in addition to raising money for our charities (Special Olympics and the S. June Smith Center for sick children). Our academic requirement was to keep a 3.0 average, which is much higher than is required for any other group on campus.

We also knew how to have fun. We had two formals a year (think prom but with alcohol lol). Had parties and socials, attended sporting events in a group. We didn't have a house due to campus rules, but we roomed in 2s and 3s. There was always a party somewhere.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Alpha Omega Epsilon is a professional and social sorority composed of female engineering and technical science students and alumnae. Our objective is to further the advancement of women in engineering and other technical science fields. We do this by raising money for scholarships, participating in career expos, and participating in other engineering and professional organizations. We also do everything you expect a social sorority to do: recruit new members, host formals, participate in philanthropic events, have study hours, participate in Homecoming floats, Greek Week events, and are members of local Panhellenic Councils.

It was one of the best decisions I made for myself when I started college. I graduated 9 years ago and my fellow alum are some of my closest friends to this day. It is too bad the media has demonized greek organizations. My experience was positive and rewarding. I hope others get a chance to experience greek life during college!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It was one of the best decisions I made for myself when I started college. I graduated 9 years ago and my fellow alum are some of my closest friends to this day. It is too bad the media has demonized greek organizations. My experience was positive and rewarding. I hope others get a chance to experience greek life during college!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Unfortunately, the media only covers the "bad" parts of Greek life and rarely does anything on the "good". :)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Bump...just to see if there are others out there. :)