The scale :(

Options
So I joined about two weeks ago and I've been doing pretty good. I weighed myself when I started and I weighed 175. I am eating so much healthier and I've been getting at least 30 minutes of cardio in a day. That's a lot for me, after being sedate for so long. This morning I woke up and weighed myself, and to my shock, I weighed 188. I feel so discouraged and disgusted. I know that being at this weight it's going to take some time to get it off, and I should be patient. But gaining that much weight in two weeks isn't good. Can anyone offer my any advice on staying motivated, and maybe something that I could try that would at least help me maintain my weight and not gain anymore? Thanks, Lo

Replies

• danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your scale may be off a bit. That's a lot of weight to gain in 2 weeks ESPECIALLY when you've been eating healthy and exercising. I would give it another day or 2, then weigh yourself again. Don't be glum, it WILL come off! I promise! :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess...I would say you're probably not up 13 pounds in 2 weeks. It would take an extra 45500 calories to gain 13 pounds...that's an extra 3250 calories/ day over the last 2 weeks. Are you sure your scales aren't a bit wonky?
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    what exactly have you been eating?

It may be that you are either eating too many calories OR too few calories and your body is in "starvation mode" and holding on to the fat to "sustain" itself.

good job on the cardio! :drinker:

without knowing exactly how you eat, all i can say is DO NOT give up! we all get discouraged but that is the nature of this weight loss beast! keep your head up and stay on the track to your goal:flowerforyou:
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have you been irregular, bloated, or retaining water? I found that when I started to eat a lot of great raw veggies, they didnt digest well, and I had a lot of weight gain and got bloaty and retained a lot of water. A changed in diet, even when it's good foods, can be hard on your system and take awhile to work itself out. I've been doing this for months, and I still have days where I'm 8 lbs more than the day before... Just keep on truckin'! You're doing the right thing!
  • braggda
    Options
    Muscle waighs more than fat maybe the cardio gained muscle
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    13 pounds in 2 weeks could also be explained by a gain in muscle mass. You say you were sedated for a long time, what do you mean by that? If you had a lot of muscle atrophy and have been working out a lot in the past 2 weeks, your muscles did build up. You have to remember that muscle mass is heavier than fat mass. How do you feel in your clothes? Are they loser? If so, listen to what your clothes have to say!!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    13 pounds in 2 weeks,,, wow. No way, something's wrong.

Gym rat here - and I gotta say it's almost impossible to gain more than maybe a pound of lean muscle a week even with massive nutrition and exercise - plus maybe a ton of testosterone,,, and some steroids. It takes bodybuilders DECADES to build what you see on stage.

And - as Brenda said, it take about a jillion calories to pack on that much fatty weight. The Cincinnati Bengals don't eat that much.

Something's wrong. Same scale? Were you naked and dehydrated last time and wearing football pads this time? No way that's all you. That's almost a pound a day. :noway:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself at teh same time of day as last time? The best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning, after peeing and stark naked. If you use that as your start point and always weigh at the same time, you will see the true difference
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    please don't get discouraged.

For one thing, there is no possible way for someone to gain 13 pounds of muscle in two weeks without massive amounts of steroids, specially if you're just now starting an exercise regiment.

if you were completely sedentary, this can happen. You're body is not used to the exercise so it will retain more water. also, depending on how many calories you were eating before you started this site, your body can be confused by the sudden decrease (or increase). it will take some time, but as this new lifestyle becomes standard, you're weight will return to normal, and then you will begin to lose.

don't give up!
    :heart: aisha

ps like others have said, it could be as simple as a faulty scale.
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I would be suspicious and check the calibration on the scale. Earlier today I checked my scale and I was 12 pounds lighter than I thought all because it was off by a whole lot.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Also get on and off the scale a few times during a weigh in. That way you can see if it is giving you the same reading each time. My mom has an older scale that I can gain or lose just by stepping off the back on again.:grumble:
  • winky_gurl
    Options
    i hate scales for this reason. Faulty scales, irregular readings, muscle gain, and for us women...bloating, etc...(although i know men can too)....I only use my chest, waist, and hips measurements....granted if I go to the doctors and get my wieght i will plug it in here. BUT i have a goal waist size not a weight...(but i entered one in here anyways...we'll see if the weight matches the goal inches in waist..)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, thats a scale issue. I can tell you with absolute certainty that it's not muscle, even 1 lb of muscle in 2 weeks is a TREMENDOUS feat. And you generally don't gain a ton of muscle mass doing cardio anyway. You might make very light gains over months, but never, ever, have I heard of anyone putting on more than 10 lbs of muscle (or fat for that matter) in two weeks, it would take a concerted effort to even come close to that.