Why am I meant to be eating so many calories?

Options
So my calories were set to 1,200 which I thought was normal - but then I read a thread about not to go below your BMR? And a link to this fat2fit website which tells me according to my weight, fat percentage etc I should be eating over 2,000 calories.

So I've tried this, and by the time I get to about 1,500 I just want to be sick. It's so much food!!!!!

Can someone please explain why I need to eat 2,000 calories? Is it bad for me to eat less? I feel great, when I eat more calories I feel like I've actually eaten too much.

Currently at 1,200 if I exercise I try to eat back the calories, but some days I don't exercise at all like if I've been stuck at work for 13 hours and commuting 3 hours I just want to get in and sleep.

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Try increasing slowly and seeing how you feel and if it affects your weight loss. Start at 1300 for a couple weeks, then 1400 for a couple more, and so on. Don't jump all the way up at once.
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Is the 2000 so calories your TDEE? Did you subtract 15 or 20% from the TDEE?
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to read the rest of the thread that talked about netting above your BMR... the answer is probably in there..
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    It says

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight.

Activity Level -> Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1753
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2009
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2265
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2520
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2776

I'd say I was lightly active
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    So my calories were set to 1,200 which I thought was normal - but then I read a thread about not to go below your BMR? And a link to this fat2fit website which tells me according to my weight, fat percentage etc I should be eating over 2,000 calories.

So I've tried this, and by the time I get to about 1,500 I just want to be sick. It's so much food!!!!!

Can someone please explain why I need to eat 2,000 calories? Is it bad for me to eat less? I feel great, when I eat more calories I feel like I've actually eaten too much.

Currently at 1,200 if I exercise I try to eat back the calories, but some days I don't exercise at all like if I've been stuck at work for 13 hours and commuting 3 hours I just want to get in and sleep.

I've been eating 1200 calories a day for over a year and doing cardio. It was a huge mistake! Sure, I lost weight. But I also lost muscle mass and not a whole lot of actual body fat.
    After lots of research this weekend, I realize at 1200, I was practically starving myself. MFP calculated that for me so I thought it was right.

I think anywhere from 1500-1800 calories is fine. :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You don't need to take the advice of other dieters but you can. That's all the Fat2Fit guys and the talk here in the forums is. Why not take the advice of something with actual professionals behind it, like the goals this site sets for you?
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No offense meant to the OP...but this type of question always baffles me.

If you have a hard time consuming more than 1200 calories and you are here because you have weight to lose, I wonder how on earth did you put weight on in the first place?

Not that I'm proud of it but I could EASILY down 1200 for breakfast.

Having said that - if you can manage on 1200 calories and the scale is still moving for you, good on ya! Everyone has a different path - if this one works for you, why does it matter what anyone else says.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It says

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight.

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2776

If you go with lightly active I'm thinking you shouldn't eat back any exercise calories unless they are above and beyond the "light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk" .. you didn't say if you were or not...
  • chazsucks
    Options

If you have a hard time consuming more than 1200 calories and you are here because you have weight to lose, I wonder how on earth did you put weight on in the first place?

Having said that - if you can manage on 1200 calories and the scale is still moving for you, good on ya! Everyone has a different path - if this one works for you, why does it matter what anyone else says.

Don't worry, I can understand why that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense!

I used to eat around 4,000 calories per day, on a bad day probably a lot more. After weeks of eating 1,200 when I try and eat more it just makes me feel sick.

If it's better for me and this way is unhealthy I'll happily make myself eat more - I just didn't understand it.

Sorry I know this probably seems like a really stupid thread, I guess I'm just a bit slow with this whole thing
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    It says

That's your TDEE, not your BMR. Your BMR is closer to 1667. You probably want to be eating in the area of 1700 calories per day. But that's an end goal, increase calories slowly and monitor results.
  • tracer92
    tracer92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Agree :)
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It says

I did this, so this value has your exercise factored in so you will not need to eat back your exercise calories unless your net is below your BMR, I eat about 1970-2050 a day depending on my exercise and I'm still losing, as the above poster said you can ease into it or take the plunge. I upped right away and did gain 8lbs, but I stuck with it and a month later I have surpassed where I started (started 165, lost 5lbs on 1600cal diet, gained 8lbs on 2000cal diet then lost 9lbs )
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It says

That's your TDEE, not your BMR. Your BMR is closer to 1667. You probably want to be eating in the area of 1700 calories per day. But that's an end goal, increase calories slowly and monitor results.

That is not her TDEE, it says 'based on your goal weight' that is her TDEE minus the cut value she selected.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

1700 gross or net?
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I ran into the same issue, I am a cardio enthusiast and the machine says I burn 600-800 cals per hour workout. I also find that, even after using 800 cals, I am full. My tummy really doesn't want more than 1600, which puts me under the 2000 I should eat between my alloted 1200 and my used 800. I read ALL the threads on this topic as today was a slow day at work. Verdict seems to be that anything less that 1200 is pushing your body into starvation mode. This has been hard for me to adjust to as well but I have found a few helpful strategies:

Greek Yogurt is delicious and fairly high in cals for a 1/2 cup.
    Protein shakes! Great for upping your protein intake in a pinch and helping you maintain muscle while losing weight.
    Raw baby carrots dipped in light hummus - delicious and healthy. Hummus is 25 cals a tbsp so this is when you really need to add up.

I hope this helps a little!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Because your body needs fuel, especially if you are working out. I am really loving the idea that i can EAT and I am still losing weight.
  • chazsucks
    Options

Greek Yogurt is delicious and fairly high in cals for a 1/2 cup.
    Protein shakes! Great for upping your protein intake in a pinch and helping you maintain muscle while losing weight.
    Raw baby carrots dipped in light hummus - delicious and healthy. Hummus is 25 cals a tbsp so this is when you really need to add up.

I hope this helps a little!

Thank you for these suggestions :) x
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I kinda agree here. I think this too sometimes when i see those questions--only because I wish I had that problem of not being able to eat enough!

In all seriousness, I think upping your caloric intake should be more about the quality of foods you eat as opposed to eating more quantity. I haven't seen you diary so i don't know if this is the reason you have a hard time hitting your cals but i can say when I cut back severely on meat, chicken, fish and dairy in the beginning of the year, I noticed immediately that my veggie-based meals were so low in calories. But throw in more lean chicken, lean pork, avocado and nuts and you I more calories in the same sized meals. try to get more calories for your buck basically.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

1700 gross or net?

Gross, TDEE includes an activity factor, which SHOULD account for all of your workouts. If your routine changes then you may need to reassess your activity factor. MFP does not have that and instead you eat back your exercise cals. Both methods work, I personal prefer the activity factor because it requires less calculations.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I just upped my goals after reading New Rules of Lifting for Women, when eating so few calories you lose weight yes, but you also slow down your metabolism, and lose muscle mass as well. Also, the 2000 calorie number, its meant to be how many you eat daily, despite exercise, you don't need to eat back your exercise calories with that number, its not meant to be a net calorie number, the idea is that you would probably net around 1500 calories which would be a 500 calorie per day deficit from workout which would result in about a pound a week weight loss. I've read multiple studies that suggest that 500 is even too much and really you should only slash that number by about 300.

According to NROL4W, take your weight, divide it by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms then times that by 7.18 and add 795 to that. Thats your BMR. Then find your BMI. If your BMI is 18 to 24.9 and you are under 35 years times your BMR by 1.6 on a non workout day, and by 1.8 on a workout day. If your BMI is 25 or higher, times it by 1.4 on no workout days, and 1.6 on workout days. If you are over 35 and under 24.9, times by 1.5 for non-workout days, and by 1.7 on workout days, over 25 by 1.2 and 1.4. Set your macros to 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat). Granted this program is designed for recovery of the intense heavy weight lifting workout program, but you can at least get a general idea of what your BMR is and DO NOT eat below your BMR unless you want to slow down your metabolism and all that stuff. If you want to lose weight, they suggest cutting the number times 1.6 by 300 calories at the most, so you don't shock your system and lose muscle mass