veggie protein

cguhlke
cguhlke Posts: 12
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all-

I need to find a way to get more protein in my diet. Before I became a vegetarian it was easy, but since I don't like beans or lentils and soy "meat" and tofu make me sick to my stomach what are my options now? I'll never go back to eating meat, but I need to keep a balanced diet! Any suggestions?

Replies

• Hi all-

I need to find a way to get more protein in my diet. Before I became a vegetarian it was easy, but since I don't like beans or lentils and soy "meat" and tofu make me sick to my stomach what are my options now? I'll never go back to eating meat, but I need to keep a balanced diet! Any suggestions?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I have been following a high fiber diet loosly and I did check on what it says about that. According to this book "The Fiber 35 Diet" says " as long as you eat a wide variety of furits, vegetables, beans, nuts, and seeds, you are assured of getting all the necessary amino acids. You can get an adequate supply of protein if you don't eat meat; if you avoid fish as well, then you simply have to focus on other sources of quality protein, such as eggs, whey protein, and legumes." Two to three servings are best per day.

I am not sure of other items that would help you but I would check some books out for vegetarians. I am sure that they can give you some new ideas.

Eve:smile:
  • My husband and I are almost vegetarians. We do eat wild caught local salmon sometimes when we go out. Anyway, we eat a lot of other veggie stuff and try to get a good amount of protein. Some things that have a lot of protein are:
    Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah)
    Garbonzo Beans/Chick Peas (Hummus is made out of these)
    Nuts
    Brown Rice
    Eggs
    and almost any high fiber whole grain product.
    And we've found some okay fake meats:
    Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs
    Morningstar Farms Breakfast Patties (cooked on stove top not microwaved)
    Smartdog Hotdogs
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Great ideas, lilmia, and even though I'm not a vegetarian, I really like the taste of quinoa. If you look it up - it has a high protein content, is gluten free, a good source of dietary fibre and phosporus, and is high in magnesium and iron. You can use it like a rice or like a cereal in the morning with adding almonds and berries.
  • finkkm
    finkkm Posts: 27 Member
    I'm a vegetarian as well, and I love to eat almonds and hummus to get my protein, as well as lowfat yoghurt. So good! :) And may I add I think your decision to eat vegetarian cusine Is FABULOUS!!! :)
  • Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support!!
This discussion has been closed.