Iron Rich Foods.

Options
I'm always finding it a bit difficult to reach my Iron goal set on MFP. Any suggestions for Iron Rich Foods? Not a fan of taking supplements, I take enough pills. Heh.

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Spinach, peas, most leafy greens.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    almonds
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Google has a ton of links to some great articles.

Red meat of course is a great source of iron, so are egg yolks, dried apricots, raisins, spinach.....

Also, if you eat your iron with Vitamin C, it is absorbed better. And animal iron is easier for the body to absorb than non animal iron, but it is still possible to get plenty of iron through a vegetarian diet if meat is not an option for you.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what these guys said, cinamon is another I didnt expect - use instead of sugar/sweetner xx
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what these guys said, cinamon is another I didnt expect - use instead of sugar/sweetner xx

Thank you guys!
    Wow, I didn't expect that either.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    Options
    Sun dried tomatoes, too.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Multigrain Cheerios has a lot of iron and is still low in calories. I had my daughter eat it daily for awhile because her iron was low :)
  • shutterbug282
    Options
    Multigrain Cheerios has a lot of iron and is still low in calories. I had my daughter eat it daily for awhile because her iron was low :)

Thanks, I forgot about cereals since I never really seem to eat them.
    I'll get some in next time I go shopping, thank you. :D
  • SAMSON25
    SAMSON25 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1 cup of Cheerios (original) will get you 45% of your DV
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I eat Multi grain cheerios and cinnamon often to get iron.
    Luna Bars have a bunch, too, but I am trying to go a little less processed.
    Multi grain cream of wheat is another good source.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Raw spinach is an easy one to add. I put it on sandwiches instead of lettuce. The flavor & texture is pretty similar to lettuce, but with way more nutritional value. I've also been known to chop it up and put it in omelets, quesadillas, tacos - any place I can tuck it in.

Oh, and it makes great salads :-) I especially like to throw in some grated asiago, seasonal fruit (pear, apple, strawberries...), almond or walnut pieces, and some sort of protein (usually leftover chicken, turkey or steak, chopped up), with a nice viniagrette. Filling, delicious and great for you!
  • shutterbug282
    Options
    Raw spinach is an easy one to add. I put it on sandwiches instead of lettuce. The flavor & texture is pretty similar to lettuce, but with way more nutritional value. I've also been known to chop it up and put it in omelets, quesadillas, tacos - any place I can tuck it in.

Oh, and it makes great salads :-) I especially like to throw in some grated asiago, seasonal fruit (pear, apple, strawberries...), almond or walnut pieces, and some sort of protein (usually leftover chicken, turkey or steak, chopped up), with a nice viniagrette. Filling, delicious and great for you!

That's a great tip thanks! :)
  • onedayillbeamilf
    Options
    Oh, muscle milk has 25% DV as well.
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I always add my nickel to these iron posts...
    -eat iron rich foods with vitamin c rich foods, the C helps your body absorb the iron
    -don't eat iron rich foods with caffeine, tannins, or calcium. All keep your body from absorbing iron
    -cook in a cast iron skillet
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has a lot of iron too!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I always add my nickel to these iron posts...
    -eat iron rich foods with vitamin c rich foods, the C helps your body absorb the iron
    -don't eat iron rich foods with caffeine, tannins, or calcium. All keep your body from absorbing iron
    -cook in a cast iron skillet

When you cook in a cast iron skillet, it will leach more iron out of the cast iron if it is an acidic food - like tomato based chili.
    I made a tomato/lentil/spinach/sausage stew in cast iron that had a TON of iron. It was also a huge batch of stew .... so I froze it. The joke around the house was that it was TOM soup - so as soon as I starting grumping with PMS, my husband would start making soup jokes, which made me more angry.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options