HELP! I have no social life.

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
My divorce was finalized last month.

My son is on vacation with my parents for the next three weeks.

I got pregnant at 17 so... 11 years later... I have *NO* idea what single adults without a child in the house do with their free time.
I don't really have a lot of friends to do stuff with, either. So I guess I need ideas that don't require a group of people I already know...

Obviously, I will get to the gym and exercise; however, what else can I do with my time while I am responsibility-free?

HELP!

Replies

• Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Bump because I need ideas too.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think I would take a trip somewhere.
  • Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Options
    Take a cheap class. Like cooking or pottery....?
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Are you ready to date? Maybe join a dating site. See if there is group in your area for divorced people to meet.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    You might want to look in to meetup.com if you are ok with meeting new people. There are tons of groups and I'm sure you can find groups doing stuff in your area that you are interested in.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Heck if I know; I had my child at 17 too and now that he is mid-twenties, I really need to figure this out:) I am trying Meetup.com. It is a good way to find hiking groups or bookclubs.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    HA! I'm in the same boat. I usually read when I have the chance, go to the library, clean out the box of "junk stuff" I keep in there all semester...or sleep when I can. Since I'm taking classes this summer I think I'll just be working out and studying/homework. Yes, I'm extremely boring and have no life at all. Hopefully that will change when I get a "real" job with other grown ups :laugh:

ETA: And since I'll have my kids almost the whole summer this year instead of them going to their dad's that'll keep me busy too. But I sure do need to figure out how to get, and enjoy, adult time
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I don't want to date.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    go to the bar!
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    my absolute favourite thing to do is sit outside in the warm air at night with a friend and chat (this does not take a group, just one more person :)) Reading is fun. If you can afford it, redecorate a room (this does not always have to cost a fortune, get some crafty ideas online). I love going to the library. You could go to a museum, they are so fun! .... man, I sound like a HUGE NERD!
  • barblcurry
    barblcurry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How about a "staycation" in your own city? Become a tourist and walk around the shops, the streets, have a coffee on a patio somewhere. Or join a women's bootcamp and meet some new friends with same interests and hobbies. Just something I would do..
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    What about hobbies? Why not indulge yourself in those while your son is away?

It's okay to sit at home sometimes and read or watch TV. You don't need to fill up every spare second with activities just because you're "free" for awhile. It's okay to just relax.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you live in or near a big city, www.meetup.com is awesome.
    I just made a bunch of cool friends there recently :smile:
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Take a community class in a subject that interests you. Look in the local paper for free events that you can attend whether its a festival in a park or museum. I also like to go out geocaching.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Play video games...or is that just me?
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Write down all the things you have ever wanted to do/start/see/try and take the plunge to try tick one of the list every week, month, whichever is appropriate. You'll meet new people and maybe gain a new passion or new interest

Wishing you luck, you can do it!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Things that I do:

- Join meetup.com in your city. You can join (free) and do anything from skydiving to a book club. Whatever your heart desires.

- If you drink, even a little - join a wine tasting group in your area. This a great way to meet people and you do not have to worry about anyone getting drunk.

-Go to a Farmer's Market on Saturday. Fantastic way to meet men and women. People love to talk to people at a market.

- Volunteer at something you believe in. Easy way to meet people.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    What have you done that makes you smile and that you really enjoy? Do you like to travel? I'm in the same situation. I have made a choice to change what needs to be done in my life. Do something that really makes me smile and happy for once in my life. I'm here if want to talk.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Another vote for meetup.com. Lots of really good people that you can meet who are active and enjoy the same hobbies.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    A lot of people recommend meetup.com- you can search for events near you that center around things you are interested in. And maybe instead of just hitting the gym, try finding classes you might enjoy that involve being active. A lot of swing/ballroom dance classes have you change partners constantly since the point of a lot of them is to be able to dance with anyone you want when you're out and about (then you can go out and about, and meet people that way)! Volunteering for a cause you care about is never a bad option either.