hypothyroidism

Options
I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism :sad: which is good and bad at the same time. I felt like I was loosing my mind for such a long time, and now I know there is a reason for it, but am not sure what my dietary intake should look like now.

Can anyone who has the same condition tell me what they have experienced and how soon after diagnosis and medication did they feel normal again.:wink:

Replies

• blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for over 20 years, after the birth of my first baby :smile: . It was a relief for me when I was diagnosed as I thought I was going out of my mind. At first it was put down to post natal depression, adjusting to a new country and way of life :noway: . Thank God my husband was working as a hospital lab tech. He got my thyroid hormones tested and took the results to the Endo doct there.
    I've been on thyroxine ever since.
    Weight can be a big problem for a lot of suffers as it is a little harder to keep it off, even when your meds are at optimum.
    The formula for weight loss is a little higher than the normal pop as we are a bit more resistant. I'll see if I can find. Back in a bit.
  • blackiris49
    Options
    I'm back.

Try (thyroid.about.com) for info and advice. :happy:

Weight loss – found this, Thyroid Diet Secrets: Are You Eating Enough Calories to Lose Weight? By Mary J Shoman. It does not advocate going on a 1200cal diet or less as thyroid patients are particularly susceptible to the "hoard mode".

She takes the usual number of calories needed per kilogram to maintain weight as 30.
    From this take away 200cal for you thyroid condition.

TO LOSE WEIGHT take the number of calories needed per kilogram as 25.
    Again take from this 200cal for thyroid condition.

ie (current weight in pounds)/2.2 = (weight in kilograms) x 25 – 200 = calories per day.
    (This can be higher than the min 1200 cal on MFP)

Plus appropriate exercise – (doesn't state what this is).:huh:

I have been sticking to MPF, which for me is 1200 per day with normal activity, and eat most if not all my exercise cals. It seems to be working for me, but I don't have that much to lose.:bigsmile:

You and your doctor need to work out which is best for you. Medication can take a while to adjust and it may be a few weeks to months before the clouds lift, but you will feel a lot better. It's like playing with the timing on a car engine, tweaking the thyroxine until it's just right.

Try typing hypothyroidism etc in the search box at the top of the message boards, there are lots of members with the same condition.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking my medicine for about a year because it was interferring with my alcohol needs. (the stupidity of teenagers) When I started taking it again it didn't take long at all to start feeling better.

I still followed the suggested goals on here with my activity level + lbs you want to lose. Talk to your doctor and just make sure he approves your plans if you feel nervous.

I'm glad you got diagnosed! It does come as such a relief to people.

My psychology teacher was talking about thyroidism one day and said that people who are hypo and don't have it under control are often to compared to schizophrenics. (sp?) I thought, "Well that explains a little bit, lol.)
  • blackiris49
    Options
    My psychology teacher was talking about thyroidism one day and said that people who are hypo and don't have it under control are often to compared to schizophrenics. (sp?) I thought, "Well that explains a little bit, lol.)

I've been there :explode:

Actually, in extreme cases it can lead to mania, even death, if not treated.

My daughter nearly murdered my doctor when he suggested that I might try seeing how I would be without Thyroxine for a while.
    "You don't have to live with her," was her comment. :mad:
    Needless to say that idea was put out of his head quick time! :smile:
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Can you please tell me what symptoms you have? I think that I might have a thyroid issue or a sugar issue and I am not sure where to start. Thanks for your help!!:happy:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism :sad: which is good and bad at the same time. I felt like I was loosing my mind for such a long time, and now I know there is a reason for it, but am not sure what my dietary intake should look like now.

Can anyone who has the same condition tell me what they have experienced and how soon after diagnosis and medication did they feel normal again.:wink:

I guess I'm not like a lot of other people. I didn't have any problems (other than wondering why the heck I couldn't seem to lose weight!) when my Dr. told me I had hyperthyroidism. Once he did tell me, I thought my problem would be solved, and once I started taking the pills I'd start losing the weight. Didn't happen! :sad: I didn't start losing weight until I came to MFP. :love: I guess all I really needed was to see in print everything that I was putting into my mouth! WHAT an eye opener THAT was! :noway:
    I've been a "loser" ever since! :laugh: :smile:
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options

I've been there :explode:

Actually, in extreme cases it can lead to mania, even death, if not treated.

My daughter nearly murdered my doctor when he suggested that I might try seeing how I would be without Thyroxine for a while.
    "You don't have to live with her," was her comment. :mad:
    Needless to say that idea was put out of his head quick time! :smile:

:laugh: That's too funny.
  • jseward
    Options
    My symptoms are"
    Depression
    anxiety
    frustration
    sleep disorders
    fatigue, I wake up so tired I cry because I had to go to work, I am tired at work all day, and I go to bed tired but can't sleep.
    weight gain even though I was watching what I ate, and exercising daily
    headaches
    joint pain
    mental confusion
    trouble concentrating or focusing on anything
    I felt like I couldnt find words or would just feel like I was BLANK
    stuttering was a new thing too.
    crazy symptoms huh?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I just went to the doctor for symptoms of hypoglycemia, and he did some blood work and found out that my thyroid is "abnormal". Kind of strange- I'm 24 and have no family history of thyroid problems, so it was certainly shocking. I have been feeling a bit off lately, but thought it was due to the hypoglycemia symptoms. I have another appointment on Tuesday, where I'm hoping to learn more about what was found in the blood test. Not sure if my thyroid is over-active or under-active, but I have gained about 12 pounds in the last 2 months :grumble:
  • jseward
    Options
    Hi,
    If I understand it correctly, when your thyroid is underactive, you gain weight. Mine is underactive and I keep gaining.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    That's what I think too, but based on the way the doctor's assistant was talking over the phone, it sounded like the "levels were high". My dietitian said that "the levels are high" could go either way depending on what they were in reference to or something. I have an appointment on Tuesday to further discuss the results with my doctor, so hopefully I'll find out.
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    It's a little confusing, but high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels means you have a slow thyroid. It's really not a measure of hormone produced from your thyroid. Rather, it's the hypothalamus gland, then the pituitary gland sending huge signals to the thyroid to step it up! But the thyroid's not getting the message. The slower your thyroid is plodding along, the more the hypothalamus and then the pituitary are trying to get it to WAKE UP! Thyroid still replies: ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Thus the high levels of TSH.

Hope that helps. It threw me off at first, too.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    It's a little confusing, but high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels means you have a slow thyroid. It's really not a measure of hormone produced from your thyroid. Rather, it's the hypothalamus gland, then the pituitary gland sending huge signals to the thyroid to step it up! But the thyroid's not getting the message. The slower your thyroid is plodding along, the more the hypothalamus and then the pituitary are trying to get it to WAKE UP! Thyroid still replies: ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Thus the high levels of TSH.

That helps a lot! So, does that meant that it could cause me to gain or lose weight? If it's not getting the message, and is being sleepy and lazy, that means it could cause me to GAIN weight, right? I've certainly been gaining :sad:

Thank you SO much for your help. I'm hoping to clarify everything even more at my appointment tomorrow.
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how much this will help, but here goes with what I know... :bigsmile:
    I have been on thyroid meds for several years now and I have learned from one of my doctor's that women with hypothyroidism do tend to have or have a better chance of having hypoglycemia. (that was a few years ago I was told this I may not be wording that correctly) As long as I take my meds the same time every day and if my doseage is correct I feel pretty good. I can tell when my meds are alittle of because some of the symptoms start to come back.
    The meds definately help, but I have a few bad habits of my own that hinder my weight loss progress. But I guess I would not be here if I did not have bad habits.... :blushing:
    Kat
  • jseward
    Options
    Its funny that you mention that women with hypothyroidism may be diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I have had that for years but just found out about the hypothyroidism.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Well the interesting thing is that I went to the doctor for suspected hypoglycemia and stomach issues, and if you fast forward to now, I'm going again tomorrow for what has turned into possible (probable) Celiac's disease that I'll probably end up getting tested for very soon, and the "abnormal" thyroid. I've read though, that hypoglycemia can be associated with, or a symptom of, both Celiac's and hypothyroidism... and a bunch of other things I'm sure.

So, things are SUPER complicated right now (as you can see!). I'm hoping for some serious clarity tomorrow at my doctor's appointment- I'll be sure to let you know :wink:
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good Luck tomorrow!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks, Kat... that's sweet of you :flowerforyou:
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options

That helps a lot! So, does that meant that it could cause me to gain or lose weight? If it's not getting the message, and is being sleepy and lazy, that means it could cause me to GAIN weight, right? I've certainly been gaining :sad:

Thank you SO much for your help. I'm hoping to clarify everything even more at my appointment tomorrow.

Yes, with a hypo you gain weight since your metabolism is so slow. You really weren't just making metabolism excuses! After proper treatment, the weight doesn't magically melt off, but diet and exercise begin to be effective once again. Also, the moodiness disappears, you have more resolve, and more energy to get it done. Also, one dietary slip up day doesn't mean a huge gain, it just means you won't lose. You know, kinda like normal people. :smile:
    Let us know how your appointment goes.
    Susan
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying... I nearly cried when I got the call saying the levels were high and I googled it and thought that meant I should be LOSING weight :noway: . I guess I feel a little better now.

I was gaining because I was eating more- I had cravings like I've never had in my life. The only way I could describe it to my boyfriend is that it was like an "animal instinct" ABSOLUTE NEED to eat- like almost to the point where I would steal food from someone or do whatever it takes to get my hands on food, and strangely, the more I ate the hungrier I got, and the worse the cravings got. Hasn't been as bad lately, although I'm still far from my "normal" self. I'm really banking a log on this appointment tomorrow. I'll keep ya updated :wink:

I'm not expecting medication to "cure" me- I am a work-a-holic. I'll work my tail off to get this weight off, I just want the animal-like cravings for foods that I'm not even a big fan of (sugary stuff) to go away, that's all :ohwell: