cardio help

Options
I did a 17 minute high intensity interval training video today and i weigh 260 lbs, anyone know about how many calories i burned? Or a way to find out?
Thanks!

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    you need to get a heart rate monitor
  • venture420
    venture420 Posts: 14
    Options
    well.. i dont have one and im broke at the moment.. so what should i do about my net calories?
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    I would say use the estimate here until you can afford a HRM. Better to do it and 'credit' some calories, than not do it at all because you aren't sure. You're moving, you're trying, that's the important thing for now. Don't go crazy with eating back calories as a reward, just eat something relatively healthy if you feel hungry.
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    U burn 20-25 calories per min just by jogging slow and walking 12
  • icrant
    icrant Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    well.. i dont have one and im broke at the moment.. so what should i do about my net calories?

I would say 200-250cal!!! This is assuming that you run @ 6mph for approx. 17min. This is an educated guess, based on your personal info and data gathered with an HRM while running on a treadmill @ 3% incline. If you did something different, please adjust accordingly! There are various formulas out there. I've found out that in many cases these formulas overestimates the calories burned by approx. 50%. Hope this helps!
  • jfa002
    jfa002 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try to keep track of your heart rate every 5 minutes or whatever you choose by checking your pulse. Then at the end of your workout, take those numbers (make sure that their written down) and add them, then divide it by how many times you checked. to get your average For example:

1) 3 min - 150 bpm
    2) 3 min - 162 bpm
    3) 3 min - 146 bpm
    4) 3 min - 154pm
    5) 3 min - 166 bpm

150+162+146+154+166 = 778

778/5 = 155.6 (round up)
    So, the average heart rate is 156.

To find your THR (target heart rate), check out my blog that I just recently posted. Then after you read that, check out this website that gives you a heart rate based calorie burn and calculates how many calories you burned by your average bpm in a workout:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Good luck and make it fun!! :bigsmile: