Meal Replacement Options

Options
I'm looking for a product which could essentially be used as a meal replacement. I see there are a lot of shakes and bars out there, however, there are SOOOO MANY! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Any reason in particular you are replacing meals? Most are jam packed full of rubbish, you're way better eating clean, balanced meals throughout the day
  • luvtank
    luvtank Posts: 4
    Options
    I work in a high pace environment, it's hard to sit and eat or have something beyond maybe a sandwich and that does not even happen. I figure I drink water all day, there has to be a good meal replacement in liquid form possibly.
  • nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Options
    Any reason in particular you are replacing meals? Most are jam packed full of rubbish, you're way better eating clean, balanced meals throughout the day

100% spot on.
  • luvtank
    Options
    Looks like I'm gonna skip the replacements and just eat regular good food! Thanks!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think you'll certainly get more nutrition this way, and save some money!
    What about some snacks that are easy to grab on the go - like a home made smoothie or soup, cut up veggies and fruit, nuts, wraps, home made savoury muffins or bars. This way you have food that is easy to eat on the run, isn't costing you a fortune and has lots of goodness to keep you going.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i'd try to make the sandwich the night before (i make my hubby's lunch every night). He's often really busy and we've discovered that the roll-up sandwiches are a bit more "portable" than standard bread ones. And then i give him cut-up veggies like on a party tray. and some crackers or a yogurt.

if you are determined to drink your lunch, just buy a few and taste test (after reading the label). I don't think any one will be more healthy than anything else. but i doubt you'll be satisfied. ask anyone who tried the original slim-fast diet (2 shakes and a "sensible dinner"). :)
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    I have made a smoothie with milk, a couple of different kinds of fruit and some protien powder when I am on the go and don't have the time for eating.
  • MrsSBean
    MrsSBean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Advocare products!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs are great and low fat cheese sticks with a piece of fruit; greek yogurt and fruit, no need for meal replacement at all. I also have trouble some days getting a regular meal on the go, so I always keep some of these healthy emergency foods with me.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Smoothies I guess...
    Fruit salads. Things that you can eat right out of containers...
    Museli bars, crackers.... Its all about thinking ahead.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

I am lovin me some rubbish but only the fresh kind. :laugh:
  • luvtank
    Options
    I love Advocare products!

Which product do you use? I've seen them.. so many!
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    I have used weight watcher smoothies and added fruits, milk, etc to them and I have used whey protein and added to them. They can be very filling.
  • ema_16
    ema_16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Zone bars are fantastic running out the door! The only one I have found that I absolutely love is the strawberry yogurt kind! I'm a RN and we have no time to sit and eat!
  • taylor_lynn
    Options
    Everyone is right about not cutting out meals; however there are still options that might work for your hectic schedule. My normal lunch is a smoothie, with some extras like walnuts. I use 1/4 C orange juice and 1/4 C Coconut Milk for the base and then I add 1/2 fresh banana, 1/2 scoop Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder (strawberry), a bunch of frozen fruit, I get the Dole Ready-Cut fruit that doesn't have any added sugar or preservatives; strawberries, pineapple, mango, & raspberries. I have tweaked the amounts so that I absolutely love the taste, and it's super healthy for you without all the added crap that "meal replacement" drinks have. Good luck! =)
  • mmurelli
    mmurelli Posts: 26
    Options
    Supreme peanut butter and jelly protein bars
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like MRM Chocolate Veggie protein powder. It has 130 calories and 23 grams of protein, and I mix it with 2 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (40 cals/cup) for a total of 210 calories. It's super yummy and filling.

I understand the meal on the go thing. I teach dance classes back to back sometimes and there are 15 minutes between class, but often that is filled up with answering questions from students leaving and greeting students who are coming in. I have just enough time to run to the potty and then grab my protein shake from the refrigerator in the staff room. Then I can sip it throughout class for some sustained energy. I am all for whole foods but you've got ta do what you've gotta do!