Grocery Recommendations?

Options
kpforyou
kpforyou Posts: 56 Member
I have somewhat of a weird life situation that doesn't give me much opportunity to eat extremely healthy, so I need recommendations.

I live in a basement and I don't have a kitchen or any means of cooking anything other than in a microwave. I do have a refrigerator and a freezer and a small pantry-like area. I almost never have time to "prepare" anything or go grocery shopping on any kind of a regular basis.

My question is... what kind of food should I be getting to be smarter about what I'm eating? It can't be enough to just count calories, right? And sometimes I'm still so hungry after reaching the calories the website says I should eat.

I've figured out breakfasts fine enough between certain yogurts and cereal with skim milk, and I'm most often at work during my lunches. For lunch, I try to do one of those Marie Callender's Fresh Mixers things and similar things, which seems fine enough. What I'm looking for mostly are snack things (middle of the day type things) and dinner things that are good and filling and healthy. And I'm always open to cereal recommendations.

Also, I'm allergic to most fresh fruits and vegetables. Yes, this is true. No, I'm not just making this up because I don't like them.

So... thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• tangoa24
    tangoa24 Posts: 27
    Options
    i would say try amy's organic frozen food, but it's all vegetarian, which i'm guessing could be an issue if you're allergic. be sure to read labels very carefully. if you have a grocery store with a good organic section (like wegman's or whole foods) just walk up and down those aisles...try kashi bars or baked chips. other than that not sure how you can really prepare healthy meals without a working kitchen. maybe try googling microwave recipes? i know on marthastewart.com i've come across a couple meals that are prepared in the microwave for those extra busy days. a little research could probably go a long way.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You could always buy a rotisserie chicken (if you eat chicken). Its pre cooked so you don't have to worry about that, and you can easily shred it to make warps, sandwiches, add it to soups etc.
  • Starqueg
    Starqueg Posts: 39
    Options
    Could you use a crock pot? I know you said you don't go shopping regularly, but with a crock pot you could cook once a week and have plenty of dinners waiting in your fridge or freezer.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Could you use a crock pot? I know you said you don't go shopping regularly, but with a crock pot you could cook once a week and have plenty of dinners waiting in your fridge or freezer.

This is a great Idea, that way you can freeze the food you don't eat and can warm it up when you do not feel like cooking.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Crock pot or get an electric skillet or both. Wala, instant mini kitchen for 30 bucks.
  • lastaack
    lastaack Posts: 4
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. Just because you might be under your calorie goal, look at everything else too - sugar and sodium. For snacks I generally do granola (I'm into bear naked fruit and nut right now, but they have other kinds).. I also like honey vanilla 2x protein greek yogurt.

Rotisserie chicken and wraps, etc are a good idea!!!
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    A wee idea. Raw food. I'm a part time raw foodie. Also try Grazebox.com.
    A tribest best blender. I get beg fruit not really action but maybe raw food can sort that. Plenty of websites and support groups. Even better to pay for one session with a rawfood instructor. Hope it helps. x
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    A good alternative to yogurt is low-fat cottage cheese, which gives plenty of protein without the sugar or bitterness.
    If you only have a microwave, you can cook sweet potatoes (wrap them in plastic wrap and poke some holes with a fork).
    For a snack, you could try low-fat string cheese sticks. To make it a meal, microwave some steam-in-bag mixed vegetables.

Otherwise, you're very limited without a stovetop.
  • soshuman
    soshuman Posts: 2
    Options
    Campbell's condensed soups. I am also in a unique situation where cooking is limited (extended trip away from my family). I hit up the soup aisle one day and bought a bunch of these little cans for about $1.25 to $1.50 per can. Even though serving size is small (each can is 2.5 servings), with the servings being 60-70 calories, you are still looking at a 175 calorie can of food. A little more filling can be accomplished with crackers - saltines are 70 calories for 5 crackers. Grand total: 245 for a whole can of soup and a few crackers. Also, consider sandwiches on those "sandwich thins" (bread section). I have a fondness for peanut butter and jelly (don't recommend it, but I love it), and the typical serving is 2 tbsp peanut butter and 1 tbsp jelly (Goober Grape calls for 3 tbsp) - anyway, 3 tbsp is a lot of gunk on bread. I usually count myself at the .75 % of a serving when I make my sandwiches.

NOTE: I am not a nutritionist so please check all the other stuff before doing just this. I also throw in fruit and stuff to supplement, which you probably can't do.
  • cstar1982
    cstar1982 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions when I go out with friends or want to have a drink with dinner what is the most recommended alcoholic beverage with not too many calories? Thanks
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    One word: CROCKPOT Buy one and some crock pot recipe books. Let the pure awesomeness begin.
  • kpforyou
    kpforyou Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    wow, thanks for all the great ideas, everyone! :-)