I need help with my work lunch

Options
deedun
deedun Posts: 361 Member
Hey guys,

As the title suggests I need help with my lunch. I am not the most organised nor am I the most adventurous when it comes to food but I need healthy EASY options for food that I could bring into work each day.

Any ideas? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I find that bean salads work really well, because I can make a large one at the beginning of the week and then take single servings of it each day. It's a great way to get lots of vegetables in, and the beans are filling and keep me from feeling 'snacky' through the afternoon.

One of my favourites is a 'greek' bean salad - I basically make a greek salad and add black beans to it.

chopped peppers (red/orange/yellow) - whatever you like, I put a variety in
    chopped cucumber
    slivered red onion
    kalamata olives
    black beans (canned, drained, rinsed)
    a little crumbled feta
    balsamic vinegiarette

I sometimes chop up a feta stuffed jalapeno and add that instead of the plain feta - adds some zing. Add or leave out whatever flavours you prefer.

You can swap the ratio of beans/veggies - I sometimes use a mixture of chick peas and black beans, then add finely chopped peppers, cucumber, onion with the same dressing and flavours.

Hope this helps!
  • elabbe
    elabbe Posts: 1
    Options
    All natural peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread. whole wheat pasta with sauce on side, no cheese. maybe a tiny bit .tuna, no mayo. I have been bringing the lean cuisines or equivalents frozen lunches lately. Very easy to keep track of your intake and tasty too. Just stay away from white breads, white pasta, guac, sour cream and mayo. Hope that helps. Even if u cheat, stay away from those crazy toppings and it really wont be too bad.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I buy Progresso lite soups and micro-wave meals! They are both filling and low in calories!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I buy Progresso lite soups and micro-wave meals! They are both filling and low in calories!

this explains the progresso add at the top of my page:laugh:

I like pepperidge farms lite whole wheat bread. 40 cals a slice. Turkey, Roast Bf or Chicken deli meat and 1/2 slice of cheese.
    Carrots or celery as my crunchy side

I eat soups a lot.

Oh yea, I cook up chicken breasts and cut them into chunks on the weekend. Then I can get the bagged salad and throw 3 or 4 oz of chicken on top...yummy:flowerforyou:
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have a big prob remembering my lunch too,so we brought a little fridge to work and I bring turkey, sara lee 45 cal whole wheat bread, baked crackers and a bag of carrots at the begining of the week than only have to remember my apple every day. also stock soup, camplbells hand held are supper easy and not too high in cals.
  • vctkell
    vctkell Posts: 41
    Options
    Chicken of the Sea Tuna lunch kits. They come 2 or 3 to a pack and easy to keep in your desk drawer or bag. 210 cals per kit. Peanut butter on wheat with a banana. These are my 2 favorites. :tongue:
  • Boston01810
    Boston01810 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I made my lunches on Sundays. I make a big pot of : ground chicken cooked, add a bit of water.then a lot of freshe vegetables cooked (or you can add in one of the frozen mixed vegetables packets- ie broccoli, cauliflower, etc) , add one can of water chestnuts (this gives it crunch).and add either whole grain rice or cut up sweet potatoes. When cooked I divde the pot into 5-6 containers and each day I take one to work every day.. and just reheat it.
  • deedun
    Options
    :drinker: Thanks everyone some good ideas there ! Keep em coming!!

I probably should add that I live in Ireland so most of those brands I've never heard of :smile:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I prepare ahead of time, too.
    My hubby grills chicken breasts for me on the weekend, so I cut one up each day & add celery, red peppers, pea pods, any fresh vegetables handy.
    If you wanted to you could microwave the chicken, but I don't have much time so cold is fine for me.
    Once in a while I take salad & dressing instead of the veggies.
  • deedun
    Options
    I think my best option is making up a soup from scratch each sunday and bring a container of it in each day.. My only problem is I have never made soup (I'm really bad in the kitchen!)

Has anyone got any good recipes that are easy and universal (i.e. non branded produce)?
  • shalonda01
    shalonda01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Thanks everyone some good ideas there ! Keep em coming!!

I probably should add that I live in Ireland so most of those brands I've never heard of :smile:
  • shalonda01
    shalonda01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    HI, I bring special K cereal to work eat a bowl with fruit for breakfast and lunch.