US immigration and the ridiculousness of it all

Options
CorrieV1976
CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
So a little background,
I was born in Buffalo New York, I lived in the USA from 1976 to 1984, my mom married a Canadian and we moved to Canada. I lived in Canada for most of my life, always wanted to return to the US but was too young to move on my own. Met my now Ex-husband in highschool had a child at 18 then another at 20. We then moved to South Carolina (a week after my second was born) I went to the US Consulate and applied for my oldest son to have US boran abroad status. It cost 10 bucks a Day at the consulate and we were on our way. My second son was not born yet when I applied for my oldest so I couldnt ever apply. mind you a week after he was born we crossed the border in to the US with only a dr note stating that I gave birth to a baby boy a week prior. No problems at all.

My ex decided he was home sick so we moved back to Canada, (insert: if I knew now what I wish I knew then) I would have stayed in SC but we moved back to Canada.

I stayed there(canada), basically because my children needed to see their father , once they were old enough I decided to move back to the US (a couple years ago) I enrolled my children in school (remember at this point only one child has a legal claim to american citizenship)

Yesterday:
I went to the US Consulate to apply for legal US status for my youngest son - afterall he has a legal right as he is my child, I have custody.....

This is what I was told:
THe immigration laws have now changed, although he does lay claim to US Citizenship I can not pass it to him, ME HIS BIOLOGICAL MOTHER can not pass citizenship to my son....but guess who can....MY PARENTS.... HIS GRANDPARENTS can pass citizenship to him....ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME???? Oh and its gonna cost $600 to do it......

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY ILLEGAL PEOPLE ARE IN THIS COUNTRY, DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY UNPRODUCTIVE LOW LIVES ARE IN THIS COUNTRY??????? that I work and I pay taxes and I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN BUT I CAN NOT PASS CITIZENSHIP TO A CHILD THAT I GAVE BIRTH TO???

I AM SO MAD!!!

that is all...Thanks for reading my rant!

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I wish the US government can read your post. No wonder why there are so many who are crossing the border illegally. Personally I feel for these people because I know how difficult it is to get a US visa. For non-citizens like us, we have to pass thru a needle hole just to get one, so sad but true :(

EDIT: I forgot to add that we need to have big bucks for that which unfortunately the majority of us don't have.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    There is nothing that the US cannot make overly legalistic. Heck, the Declaration of Independence was essentially an attempt to make the revolution overly legalistic.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Damn dude! Sorry to hear and yeah you're a hard working mom and shiz I would be totes P.Oed too! Wow!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    all countries have immigration hassles like that. costs hundreds of dollars to get a visa anywhere. sorry that happened - but that's just what they feel like they have to do to get a control on illegal immigration
  • Phoenix1401
    Options
    all countries have immigration hassles like that. costs hundreds of dollars to get a visa anywhere. sorry that happened - but that's just what they feel like they have to do to get a control on illegal immigration
    yeeaaah but its not really controlling Illegal immigration though...I live in Texas and I know some people who came into this country illegally just by going through Mexico. My friend from Germany tried going through the Canadian border but no luck because of her mom felony charge. So they went to Mexico lay low for 2 months and finally I think she went through the river..not sure because its been while since she told me this.
    Now she's in the US working and getting her Green Card
  • theinnerme
    theinnerme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wait, what?.

Both of my kids have US Passports...I am a US citizen, my husband is not. We did not have this issue. thawing because your kids were not born in the US?
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    THat may be how they feel, but being a landed immigrant of Canada and ALWAYS working in both country and paying my due taxes it is plain BS (sorry I am so mad I cant even attempt to sound intelligent) I can tell you immigrating to Canada is NOT as ridiculous as trying to legal lay claim to US Born abroad status.

Little known fact.....
    A US Citizen can NOT be denied into the US. Passport requirements are that of the US alone...So basically if you are a US CITIZEN and you want to go to Canada, Canada does NOT require that you have a passport, only that you have ID, a license or some form of picture ID, getting back to the US is the reason you need the passport. Because Canada respects US Laws they may refuse entry without a passport, but I have yet to see that happen. I know several US CITIZENS that enter Canada without a passport and return to the US with only a birth certificate to prove they are US Citizens, yes CBP (Customs and Border Protection give them a hard time) but legally can not deny them entry....

I get that after 9-11 they are more weary and in some cases 100% should be, but for every day US Citizens...come on!!!!!
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    Wait, what?.

Both of my kids have US Passports...I am a US citizen, my husband is not. We did not have this issue. thawing because your kids were not born in the US?
    They were both born in Canada but both lay claim to US Citizenship because I am a US Citizen, MY oldest son had no problem at all receiving his status...
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    yeeaaah but its not really controlling Illegal immigration though...I live in Texas and I know some people who came into this country illegally just by going through Mexico. My friend from Germany tried going through the Canadian border but no luck because of her mom felony charge. So they went to Mexico lay low for 2 months and finally I think she went through the river..not sure because its been while since she told me this.

why couldn't she just go through the proper channels? seems like it would have saved her some time and money really. if she was in immediate danger or something she could have applied for asylum.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

why couldn't she just go through the proper channels? seems like it would have saved her some time and money really. if she was in immediate danger or something she could have applied for asylum.

Hang on ... she wasn't allowed in the US because her MUM had a felony charge??
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    But the good news is they are Canadians, and who wouldn't want to be that? :smile:

With all due respect to my many American friends, your government has its panties in a knot over immigration, and even visiting. Canadians now have to carry a passport to enter the US, even for the millions of day trips we take a year to go shopping in border town malls.

Sorry..clicked before I was done!

It's too bad the rules are so twisted to just get the proper citizenship for your kids. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!
  • CorrieV1976
    Options

I have a friend who's dad tried to cross into the US for business....he was to stay in Chicago for a few months (US LAW IS A CANADIAN CAN BE IN THE US FOR A PERIOD OF 6 Months legally with no US Status. When he arrived at the border they refused him entry because he had too many suitcases.....ARE YOU KIDDING...too many suitcases?? How do you determine how much is too many for a few months....keep in mind im not talking out my *kitten*....I work with Customs everyday crossing freight into the US. I know the laws for personal effects crossing into the US. Refusing him entry was the most unbelievable thing I heard, especially with what I see that actually gets across the border....
  • Phoenix1401
    Options

Oops my bad I meant Canada...her mom couldnt enter Canada because she had a felony charge.
    Their plan was to enter Canada stay there for a few months and enter the US.
  • CorrieV1976
    Options

That was my thought too....Unless her mom was in the car with her....
  • naomi8888
    Options

Oops my bad I meant Canada...her mom couldnt enter Canada because she had a felony charge.
    Their plan was to enter Canada stay there for a few months and enter the US.

LOL - I was like "wow they are thorough in letting people in the States".
  • Phoenix1401
    Options
    Her mom is a pimp now and she delivers drugs to people last time I heard.
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    Not sure if I mentioned that if I had lived in the US for 7 years total (which I did) but 2 of those years were after the age of 14 and prior to my sons birth, he would have US Citizenship now....
  • wendangi
    wendangi Posts: 7
    Options
    Okay, you got bad info, try calling the USCIS help center 1-800-375- 5283 and talk to at least 2 other officers or talking to an immigration Attorney. Why wont the embassy issue a "report of birth abroad" certificate? Honestly, this sounds more like a Dept of State issue verse Immigration.

But if the State Department cant help you then: How old is your son now? If he was under the age of 18 prior to February of 2001 the Child Citizen Act says a child needs only to have 1 american parent to dirive citizenship from that american parent as long as that parent has custody in which case you need to fill out a form N600, costs about $400, with USCIS. The other thing you could do is just apply for a US passport for your child, give them your birth certificate and your child's birth certificate. Viola, done.
  • naomi8888
    Options
    Her mom is a pimp now and she delivers drugs to people last time I heard.

OK I can understand not letting the mum in. First read I thought your friend wasn't allowed in because her mum had charges.
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    Okay, you got bad info, try calling the USCIS help center 1-800-375- 5283 and talk to at least 2 other officers or talking to an immigration Attorney. Why wont the embassy issue a "report of birth abroad" certificate? Honestly, this sounds more like a Dept of State issue verse Immigration.

But if the State Department cant help you then: How old is your son now? If he was under the age of 18 prior to February of 2001 the Child Citizen Act says a child needs only to have 1 american parent to dirive citizenship from that american parent as long as that parent has custody in which case you need to fill out a form N600, costs about $400, with USCIS. The other thing you could do is just apply for a US passport for your child, give them your birth certificate and your child's birth certificate. Viola, done.
    Yes he can get US status via his grandparents with the N600 form. and total cost is 600 as opposed to the FS-240 (might be wrong on the form number) Born abroad Certificate that cost only 100 and I can pass to him not my parents.