skipping breakfast..can't help it. Can you help me?

Options
I am skipping breakfast :blushing:
Most important meal of the day, especially for petites. Revs your metabolism, sets the tone for the day etc etc and blah blah blah, I know better, yet I'm not doing better.
I'm just not hungry till about 11:00. (post workout, post shower, post posting online lol)
I don't eat late at night, I should be hungry when I wake up, but I'm not, I just want my americano and my decor mag to browse while I shift into the pace of the day. I actually look forward to that ritual, so if you say "nix the americano" because it's an appetite suppressant, I may have to curl in the fetal position and cry in the corner.

:noway: There's got to be a better way!

Replies

• torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Not hungry at breakfast time, don't eat breakfast. Simple as that. Just make sure you're eating enough in the rest of the day.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" thing is a myth. If you're not a breakfast-eater, there's no need to force yourself into it.
  • angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    diet myths....there sure are lot of them!
    not hungry. don't eat. lol
    duh. perhaps I'm overthinking things a tad.
    It's that fr*kn Dr. Oz. You gotta do THIS to lose the fat.....and you got to drink THAT to build muscle, and you got to pop this keytone or fry with this fat....blah blah.
    keep it simple. I like that.
    thanks for the reality check folks!
  • angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    just turned his show off. felt good.
  • chupal01
    chupal01 Posts: 12
    Options
    Here is a thought. Get a granola bar or a belvita or something to eat. You do need something when you first get up in the morning. Its call breakfast because your breaking your fast from the night before. It doesn't need to be something huge and complicated, but get something simple. I would not continue to skip breakfast....
  • acarter72
    acarter72 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Did you know the true meaning of breakfast? It is "break-the-fast" and it IS the most important mean of the day. If you are not hungry in the morning (which can happen) then eat something like a banana and I bet that in an hour or so you will be hungry. I also think you have to train your body to want breakfast as I used to HATE breakfast and skipped too. Then I started one day making it a habit and now I could not survive without!!! Good luck..........
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Don't eat if you're not hungry. That's how we all (for the most part) got fat in the first place.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Did you know the true meaning of breakfast? It is "break-the-fast" and it IS the most important mean of the day. If you are not hungry in the morning (which can happen) then eat something like a banana and I bet that in an hour or so you will be hungry. I also think you have to train your body to want breakfast as I used to HATE breakfast and skipped too. Then I started one day making it a habit and now I could not survive without!!! Good luck..........

But there is no reason to train your body to eat at any time of the day. The first meal you have after en extended period of fasting is important, but if an individual is not hungry or otherwise predisposed to eat in the morning, forcing themselves to eat is not beneficial. Going a few extra hours without eating is not harmful and there is a lot of literature out there showing that extending the daily fasting period has a positive effect on body composition.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought. Get a granola bar or a belvita or something to eat. You do need something when you first get up in the morning. Its call breakfast because your breaking your fast from the night before. It doesn't need to be something huge and complicated, but get something simple. I would not continue to skip breakfast....

You should first establish a duration at which fasting becomes necessary to break, if you're going to adamantly insist that the OP NEEDS to eat breakfast.

If for example, you're going to claim that 10 hours is the limit, what happens if the OP sleeps in for 2 hours? Is he or she suddenly doing metabolic damage or creating a nutrient deficiency?

The human body is FAR more adaptable and resilient than we give it credit for.

I wouldn't stress out over skipping breakfast and I'd actually say that if you DONT like eating breakfast, just don't eat breakfast. As long as you're not doing any multiple-day fasting and you're eating a reasonable amount of food (and mindful of nutrient intake), it's really not going to matter either way. You can do quite well with either method provided your total daily intake is appropriate.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

You should first establish a duration at which fasting becomes necessary to break, if you're going to adamantly insist that the OP NEEDS to eat breakfast.

If for example, you're going to claim that 10 hours is the limit, what happens if the OP sleeps in for 2 hours? Is he or she suddenly doing metabolic damage or creating a nutrient deficiency?

The human body is FAR more adaptable and resilient than we give it credit for.

I wouldn't stress out over skipping breakfast and I'd actually say that if you DONT like eating breakfast, just don't eat breakfast. As long as you're not doing any multiple-day fasting and you're eating a reasonable amount of food (and mindful of nutrient intake), it's really not going to matter either way. You can do quite well with either method provided your total daily intake is appropriate.

Correct on all fronts.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it if you don't want to. A lot of people do this on purpose. It's called "Intermittent Fasting".
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Not hungry at breakfast time, don't eat breakfast. Simple as that. Just make sure you're eating enough in the rest of the day.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    Im not much of a break fast or lunch eat myself. i usually have a yogurt or some fruit or a slim fast shake, something small in the morning for breakfast/ lunch. and i eat smaller snacks through out the day, plus my dinner. its up to you what you want to do. you don't have to eat a big breakfast if you don't want. your metabolism will be fine. just make sure your eating a little bit through out the day.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right. If your not hungry and your body is used to this eating pattern, it's fine. Don't force yourself if thats not what your body wants. FYI..... I'm not a breakfast kind of person either, just give me my 2 cups or coffee!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    If you are functional without it, more power to you... me in the other hand I have to have my breakfast - never used to but once I made myself have it and it became a habit, I noticed the changes -- being more alert, being more functional... and I am almost sure it did kickstart my metabolism...
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hunger is your bodies way of saying hey! I need food! If you are not hungry, then your body is doing OK. However, to rev up your metabolism you are 100% right you need to be eating several small meals a day. As for when you eat them, well that is up to you. I am guessing you are not hungry that often because your metabolism is already a bit sluggish so it takes a while to metabolize the food you do eat.

If you need some energy from carbs in the morning you can munch on some granola, or a nutrient dense snack bar. Because you do need to eat for energy, roughly 2 hours before a work out gets some complex carbs in there.
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue...I am not hungry until 10 or 11 and I get up at 4. I don't eat breakfast most days and I am losing weight the right way still. EveryBODY works differently. Find what works for you (as long as it is reasonable) and do it!!!
  • Jokester21
    Options
    I would skip breakfast all the time. There was the occasional granola bar here or peanut butter sandwich or bagel there. What I am doing now is I'm replacing breakfast with an Herbalife Healthy Meal shake in the morning and it keeps me going until lunch time and I take the supplement pills along with it and it helps curb your hunger. So I turned that 450+ calorie sausage mcmuffin into less than 100 calories for my breakfast! :) I've been at it for my 4th week now and I've been taking it every morning during the week and sometimes during the weekend too so it's become a good habit for me and I do feel a difference. And the shake takes like 1 minute to make so it's easy if you're always out the door so you can take it with you too :)
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think the expression "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" was thought up for those whose jobs may prevented them from eating lunch!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic. I have to eat breakfast now but I never did before, even when I was a kid. That being said, I actually do believe there is merit in eating a breakfast.

Ideas of what I've eaten in the past when I've known I had to eat (b-4 I was diabetic):
    Puffed wheat (eat like a snack)
    1/2 a granola or fiber one bar (don't smack me cause of the sugars please)
    1/4 or 1/2 cup fruit of any kind
    Coffee with 1/2 milk for cafe latte (caf or decaf)
    Apple
    Rice cake
    Piece of american cheese
    1/2 english muffin with sugar free jelly

Some sound funny but they start the day, kick start the metabolism or whatever, and they are consuming something.

Cheers
    :drinker: