Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard - Reviews

Options
I am wanting to try the ON Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein powder. I am open to different flavors, but I love dark chocolate (anything above 70%) so I am really interested in the Double Rich Chocolate flavor. I have some questions.

1. Does in easily mix without a blender ball cup? I hate to pull my blender out every time and would hope just stirring or shaking would blend with protein powder with my liquid just fine, without using anything extra.

2. I am eating more protein and less carbs, because I just feel better when I do. I usually eat eggs, cottage cheese, Fage Greek yogurt, meats, almonds, nuts, peanut butter and string cheese as my primary source of protein. I do like to have something else for variety once and awhile. I also keep a protein bar in my purse at all times for emergencies. I don't care for fast food, except for Chick Fil A.

3. I know this is an individual type question, but does this powder cause anyone bloating or any other stomach isssues?

4. The only other protein type drink I have ever had was the Atkins RTD shake in Dark Chocolate (I think it was). That was a one time deal. Yesterday, I just bought a 4 pack of RTD Pure Protein shakes to have if I need something quick that is portable and ready. I haven't tried it yet.

5. I have been reading about different protein powders- Designer Whey, Body Fortress and I am not really sure if more expensive is always better? I feel like with the ON Gold Standard, Designer Whey and Body Fortress, I am looking at a Gold, Silver and Bronze type powders. I may be wrong about that.

I do want something that mixes easily and taste decent. I am fully aware that I am not buying something that taste decadent, I am going for the protein, but I do want it to taste pleasant.

Thank you in advance for any replies or suggestions.

Replies

• UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It does mix well in a shaker. I use a shaker with it and don't see much difference with a blender. I don't use it that much anymore because of a little warning on the side of the bottle that talks about alcohol sugars and how they cause some lower GI issues. However, that is just me.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    1. It doesn't really blend that well without using the blender cup.

The double rich chocolate is very good. One of the best I have tried in fact.
    I have not had any stomach issues with it and I have a sensitive stomach.

I dont know much about other powders because I have really only used ON.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    ON is a good product if you want a great, almost pure protien source. You don't necessarily need a blender, but I recommend a shaker cup to mix any protein powder because nothing is worse than hitting a clump in an otherwise smooth drink. Some protien powders have caused me to have an upset stomach. I prefer Muscle Milk (most of the flavors are great to met) personally because it is not pure protein (32 g in two scoops) and it also has a few grams of fat and carbs, which I think may help my overall ability to digest and not get bloating. Also, the small amount of added fat makes it very thick and I have an easier time tricking myself into thinking it's more like a milkshake. Whole food protein sources are best, but personally I do recommend Muscle Milk in any of the chocolate flavors and the cake batter.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I currently use the ON- Mint Chocolate flavor. I have also had the Double Rich Chocolate as well. To answer your questions in order

1. Yes, it does mix really easily in a blender ball cup, or even with a spoon. You don't get chunky bits floating around, which is really nice.
    3. The only issue that I had was I would get nausea sometimes after drinking it- but that was only when I had 2 scoops of powder to one drink- I also do not normally take supplements or anything in pill/powder form, so things tend to effect me more than other people. I have other friends who have used the ON and have not had this issue.
    5. I don't know about the whole "is more expensive better"- I think most people look at the ingredients in the powders to make sure that they are using good, quality ingredients. Which, I guess you would pay more for.

As far as taste- I can drink my mint chocolate powder with just water and not have an issue. They aren't chalky or anything like that. Mix the powder with milk, or soy milk, and it almost tastes a little like a milk shake.

Hope I have helped- best of luck to you.
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is the protein that I use all the time. I like it the best of any that I have tried.

It does mix eh, ok with the blender ball. I would shake it for at least 20-30 seconds with that. I dont like the blender ball cups though even though I use them and mixing with a spoon is less than desirable. I prefer a shaker that has one of the "stars" that sits at the top of the cup. For me it just seems to mix it better. I've seen these type of shaker/mixers at the grocery store as well as walmart, etc.

I haven't had any bloating or stomach issues with this protein. If you are not lactose intolerant then you should be fine... with the cottage cheese, yogurt you are saying you eat, i'm thinking you'll be ok.

I'm not a fan of premade shakes. i just think they taste medicinal but then again I haven't tried many because I prefer to mix my own.

*Edit: I usually use the double rich chocolate. Used cookies and cream before. Not a fan. Vanilla ice cream is good. Mixing with vanilla coconut milk makes it quite delish.
  • giroux0518
    giroux0518 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Best protein I've had. My roommate at college was a former maui thai fighter and an army rotc cadet and had been using it for awhile. He got me addicted to it.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm using the 100% Whey, but the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor (think I'm going to switch it up next time, not sure to what, though). It mixes really easily for me in a shaker cup.

When I was trying to make my decision, I found this site. It has TONS of GREAT, detailed reviews on this and other supplements. http://supplementreviews.com/optimum/100-whey - many of the reviewers give detailed feedback of the Double Rich Chocolate flavor.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Regarding tasting decadent: If that is a concern, try either BSN Syntha 6 or Myofusion Probiotic Series. OH MY GOD ARE THEY GOOD. Gold Standard does taste good. The taste is great actually. The texture is what's unappealing.

To answer your questions about Gold Standard:

1. It mixes just fine without a blender. There is some mild clumping when yo just try to spoon stir it, but not much.

2. Okay?

3. People who take 3 or more servings a day (which I doubt you would) do complain about bloating or gastric issues commonly, yes. I personally have never experienced this but I also never consumed 3 or more servings a day.

4. RTD drinks are bleh. And full of extra crap that lowers the nutritional quality because they had to preserve it once the liquid was added.

5. They're totally different in quality. Gold Standard has a higher ratio of Isolate to Concentrate which means you get a lower amino acid profile (not good) BUT you get better absorbtion. With concentrate only about ~30% of it is actually absorbed into you and the rest is wasted. Isolate is pretty much all absorbed. I recommend you look into Muscle Gauge American Isolate. Same thing as Gold Standard but costs less.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to try the ON Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein powder. I am open to different flavors, but I love dark chocolate (anything above 70%) so I am really interested in the Double Rich Chocolate flavor. I have some questions.

1. Does in easily mix without a blender ball cup? I hate to pull my blender out every time and would hope just stirring or shaking would blend with protein powder with my liquid just fine, without using anything extra.

2. I am eating more protein and less carbs, because I just feel better when I do. I usually eat eggs, cottage cheese, Fage Greek yogurt, meats, almonds, nuts, peanut butter and string cheese as my primary source of protein. I do like to have something else for variety once and awhile. I also keep a protein bar in my purse at all times for emergencies. I don't care for fast food, except for Chick Fil A.

3. I know this is an individual type question, but does this powder cause anyone bloating or any other stomach isssues?

4. The only other protein type drink I have ever had was the Atkins RTD shake in Dark Chocolate (I think it was). That was a one time deal. Yesterday, I just bought a 4 pack of RTD Pure Protein shakes to have if I need something quick that is portable and ready. I haven't tried it yet.

5. I have been reading about different protein powders- Designer Whey, Body Fortress and I am not really sure if more expensive is always better? I feel like with the ON Gold Standard, Designer Whey and Body Fortress, I am looking at a Gold, Silver and Bronze type powders. I may be wrong about that.

I do want something that mixes easily and taste decent. I am fully aware that I am not buying something that taste decadent, I am going for the protein, but I do want it to taste pleasant.

Thank you in advance for any replies or suggestions.

Currently using up a 5lb container of the double rich chocolate, so here's what I have experienced:

1. I get chunks of powder with just using a shaker, and I shake it pretty hard...like 'shake weight' hard :noway: and still get the chunks. Haven't tried a blender ball or blender. Overall, I do think it's a really good product.
    2. I do the protein bar too, I like the zone perfect bars, a little high in sugar but it's better than anything in the snack machine.
    3. I haven't had any stomach problems or bloating feeling
    4. I have been trying a few different ones myself, my fav so far is Allmax ISOFLEX peanut butter chocolate - mixes very easily, high quality, and tastes good
    5. Don't know if expensive is always better but I typically looks for protein powders that have 'whey isolates' as the first ingredient and they tend to run a little higher
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    To answer your questions about Gold Standard:

2. Okay?

Sorry, I was just giving some information, on why I like protein bars or drinks on occasion.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Thank you for all the great replies, I appreciate it.

All the information on the different types of protein powders and what is best is so confusing! lol

GNC has the ON Gold Standard on sale for $26.99 "Hot Deal" item for the 2# container. I know I can possibly get it online cheaper, but my husband can pick this up for me on his way home from work. I am not sure how long the "Hot Item" sale will last, but I am calling when they open to ask if the sale is also available in their stores or online only.

I live in a small town, with not a lot of options for buying protein powders or bars. I have to go about 35-50 miles one way, to be able to buy these products in a store.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I'm using the 100% Whey, but the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor (think I'm going to switch it up next time, not sure to what, though). It mixes really easily for me in a shaker cup.

When I was trying to make my decision, I found this site. It has TONS of GREAT, detailed reviews on this and other supplements. http://supplementreviews.com/optimum/100-whey - many of the reviewers give detailed feedback of the Double Rich Chocolate flavor.

Thanks for the website, the page is loading up as I type this. I'm sure it will be a big help.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Some online sources to try are www.bodybuilding.com or www.dpsnutrition.com. I use both and never had any problems ordering and getting exactly what I like. The first one has been more helpful because it has more customer reviews and based upon my experience, most seem to be truthful because I have a similar good or bad experience with the product.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

All the information on the different types of protein powders and what is best is so confusing! lol

GNC has the ON Gold Standard on sale for $26.99 "Hot Deal" item for the 2# container. I know I can possibly get it online cheaper, but my husband can pick this up for me on his way home from work. I am not sure how long the "Hot Item" sale will last, but I am calling when they open to ask if the sale is also available in their stores or online only.

I live in a small town, with not a lot of options for buying protein powders or bars. I have to go about 35-50 miles one way, to be able to buy these products in a store.

Buying in anything less than 5# tub usually you get ripped off. bodybuilding.com has the 5# tub I believe for $50. The brand I use is $5 cheaper for a 5# tub. But that's not a BAD deal for a 2# tub. GNC's prices are usually ridiculously high.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options

Buying in anything less than 5# tub usually you get ripped off. bodybuilding.com has the 5# tub I believe for $50. The brand I use is $5 cheaper for a 5# tub. But that's not a BAD deal for a 2# tub. GNC's prices are usually ridiculously high.

I agree about GNC being ridicously high. I already contacted ON to see if they had sample or trail packs but they don't. I had the understanding that GNC would take the product back and give me a refund if I wasn't happy. I figured after 3 or 4 shakes I would know if I am happy or not. I also figured it would be harder, if at all possible, to return to any other place that sells it online.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I agree about GNC being ridicously high. I already contacted ON to see if they had sample or trail packs but they don't. I had the understanding that GNC would take the product back and give me a refund if I wasn't happy. I figured after 3 or 4 shakes I would know if I am happy or not. I also figured it would be harder, if at all possible, to return to any other place that sells it online.

Only thing to remember is NEVER EVER EVER get any sort of strawberry flavored protein shake mix. They always end up tasting like medicine.
  • cdcro
    cdcro Posts: 21 Member
    Options

This is what I did. Once I figured out I liked ON I started ordering 5# tubs from Amazon.com. Now that my wife is drinking it everyday too i'll be ordering a 10# bag next time.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Does a RTD Pure Protein Frosty Chocolate shake compare in taste at all to the ON Gold Standard? I just opened a can of the Pure Protein and it is sickenly sweet. I hope I can return the other 3 cans to Wal-Mart ( I still have my receipt) , I just bought them yesterday. The package says 1 gram of sugar, but list no sugar alchols, so I don't know where the sweet taste is coming from.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    In general RTD stuff always tastes overly sweet and I'm not sure why. Avoid RTD stuff like the plague.
  • vanvaq
    vanvaq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've hit a plateau in my weight loss and am now looking for advice on a protein and/or a meal replacement shake to help me shed the a few more lbs. A friend has recommended I try Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard™ Vanilla Ice Cream, but I'm not sure this is what I need. I'm just looking to shed about 5-8 lbs. (if I can get away with more that would be great too!). I am at a healthy weight, but I'd like to trim up just a little more before heading out to the beach. My biggest problem is my mid-section. I work out about 3-4 times a week for 45min-1hr (5 times on a good week). Some days I do cardio, others I’ll do a boot camp, insanity type class. Any suggestions on good meal replacement shakes or protein shakes that could help me would be appreciated!