Treadmill or out doors?

Options
nboot1
nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
I have always done the eliptical or treadmill at the gym. I wanted to change things up so I bought a GREAT pair of running shoes and I began to jog (5MPH) outside. Well my thighs were sooooo sore after a cuple of days I could hardly walk, it was a good kind of sore- not an injury...I was just wondering, am I getting a better work out when I jog outside? The eliptical claims to burn more calories but I have never felt so worked as I do after jogging.

p.s I took 2 days off because of the soreness, and got right back to it :)

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have always done the eliptical or treadmill at the gym. I wanted to change things up so I bought a GREAT pair of running shoes and I began to jog (5MPH) outside. Well my thighs were sooooo sore after a cuple of days I could hardly walk, it was a good kind of sore- not an injury...I was just wondering, am I getting a better work out when I jog outside? The eliptical claims to burn more calories but I have never felt so worked as I do after jogging.

Did you get fitted for the shoes at a specialty running store?

Running outside is a little different motion than running on the treadmill (the elliptical motion is not equivalent to running at all, don't even compare the two) and you are going to be effected by the impact on a harder surface. Unless you are running on chipped bark trails, the roads will always be firmer and therefore have a greater impact on your legs. Also, there is a tendency for runners to run faster when they first head outside because they don't have the machine to hold the pace down. So, you put in a harder workout which contributes to the soreness as well.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

outside >>>>> inside. Period. No matter what.
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    +1 for running outside. Few things bore me to tears faster than running on a treadmill. I'd rather run 20m outside than 5m on a treadmill.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is flat all the time. Even on an incline, it's a smooth, flat surface. Outside is more rugged (even on pavement) so you get more of a mix and you're probably working a little harder.

I HATE HATE HATE the treadmill. Outside is awesome.
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Which ever one gets you to do it is the best one. Personally I always run outdoors, regardless of the weather. Only ice keeps me off the roads.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I do both - mostly because I live where it is really hot and running outside just isn't practical in the middle of the day. I have read that both are very good for you - the fact that you are moving is the key. Outdoors you will get more wind resistance as well as whatever elevation changes - which will affect your effort as well. Personally, I think running outside is harder because of these reasons but the treadmill helps you to learn how to pace - which can benefit you if you are going for distance. I like both. Elliptical is great for cross training and is really easy on your joints - and you probably should give your body a break from running every now and then. I do 4 days running and 2 days cross training.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Did you get fitted for the shoes at a specialty running store?

Running outside is a little different motion than running on the treadmill (the elliptical motion is not equivalent to running at all, don't even compare the two) and you are going to be effected by the impact on a harder surface. Unless you are running on chipped bark trails, the roads will always be firmer and therefore have a greater impact on your legs. Also, there is a tendency for runners to run faster when they first head outside because they don't have the machine to hold the pace down. So, you put in a harder workout which contributes to the soreness as well.

This ^^ plus when you run outside you must use your own power to propel yourself foward, whereas the "ground" moves underneath you on a treadmill, so you will be using your leg muscles more outside.
  • RaeMe
    RaeMe Posts: 11
    Options
    According to the NYT "outdoor running burns about 5 percent more calories than treadmills do" http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/06/health/06real.html?_r=2&scp=2&sq=running&st=nyt&oref=slogin

One thing to take into consideration is how flat your path is outside. Even small inclines add up, which can make a big difference if you run on a treadmill with no incline.

In any case, keep up the good work!
  • nboot1
    nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes I did get fitted at a shoe store, they took video of me running on the treadmill plus all of my foot measurments, I tried shoes on that were best for my feet and stride- I will never buy running shoes again w/o doing this first!
    I knew the impact would be differant running outside (I run on a sidewalk) I just want to get the most out of my work out, thats why I want to know if it is a better work out....am overthinking it? Is it all the same?
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outdoors. Unless it is dangerously icy out and then the treadmill. Great job!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Definitely getting a better workout by going outside. Personally, I hate the elliptical because I don't feel like I can get myself moving as fast or get as good of a workout. And treadmills scare the bejeezus out of me. So I run exclusively outside and I love it. So many distractions! ;)
    Also I think running outside allows you to build more muscles because you have to use all of them whereas an elliptical gives some muscles groups a break (see: your thighs). It's a big change, so take it slow!
  • Epicmum54
    Epicmum54 Posts: 26
    Options
    Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to running outside!! Get out if you can and like the earlier poster said - get fitted properly for a pair of shoes - just because you spent a crapload on them, doesn't necesarily make them good for you! As well, if you can run on the road (asphalt over concrete), it's better on the joints, asphalt has a bit of cushion where concrete has none. Good luck and have fun!!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    +1 for running outside. Few things bore me to tears faster than running on a treadmill. I'd rather run 20m outside than 5m on a treadmill.

Hear Hear
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I started running on a treadmill...then I tried running outside, I loved it!! It is a harder workout, love the burn, the fresh air, and the change of scenery!
  • sarahdangar
    sarahdangar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Outside for me every time. Treadmill is dull and feels as if I'm just runing up and down, there is no distance to it. Outside you get smells and sounds too and the fresh air (watch those flies though). And make sure you have rest days to recover (rest from running not exercise generally). I started running a few months ago and got a 5K training progam from the BUPA website, it's a great starter program with interval training. Today I've just run my first 10K, literally in 3 months I have gone from nothing! All outside too!!
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    Running outside is more challenging because you generally have a constant change of elevation and obstacles. Running on a treadmill is easier because you have the motion of the belt underneath you pushing you along when outside you have nothing "helping" you. I am still fairly new to running and was on a half marathon training schedule. I was 8 weeks in and doing my runs outdoors. My shins started hurting and I didn't listen to my body and I kept running. I ended up getting a stress fracture in my foot and have had to sit out for 4-6 weeks. Running is a great way to stay in shape but if you are new to it, be sure listen to your body. If it is hurting or sore, give it a rest because running is one of the hardest exercises on your body.
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Personally I love outside for the scenery, fresh air and change in terrain. Treadmills are great for rainy days. As a side comment I prefer brisk walking only. Much easier on the body (knees and joints) and still gets decent results. That and swimming are supposed to be the gentler forms of excersise. Just my opinion.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5kms (just starting out, second week in) outdoors on pavement and a jogging track (spongier under foot).. and inside on the treadmill and eliptical... I found I burn more calories outside because I am not walking/jogging on a flat surface (up and down kerbs and different gradient levels).

At first I was wearing trainers that I didn't get properly fitted at a sports shop and would get bad pains in my feet and calf muscles, but as soon as I started wearing a pair of shoes that were properly fitted for my foot, I have found a huge difference (and so has my fitness partner because I have stopped complaining as much, lol).

All the best with your journey! :)
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I also prefer outdoors and I prefer trail to pavement. As for your thigh chaffing, I use compression shorts to keep things moving smoothly. You can also try body glide.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yes I did get fitted at a shoe store, they took video of me running on the treadmill plus all of my foot measurments, I tried shoes on that were best for my feet and stride- I will never buy running shoes again w/o doing this first!

Good! I wanted tor rule out the shoes as the culprit.
    I knew the impact would be differant running outside (I run on a sidewalk) I just want to get the most out of my work out, thats why I want to know if it is a better work out....am overthinking it? Is it all the same?

Sidewalks are the devil! Concrete is like a hundred times (maybe a slight exaggeration) than pavement. Try to run on the road if possible, facing traffic. I feel the difference from sidewalks the next day, usually in my quads.

Yeah, don't over think it. Do what you enjoy the most. Calories burned are calories burned. Fitness gained is fitness gained.