Gained 7 lbs Since Yesterday Following Gallbladder Surgery

Options
Wow, I knew it would be big, but not that big. I weighed in yesterday morning at 197, had gallbladder surgery, spent the night at the hospital and weighed in tonight (back home again) at 204. Not worried about it, but feel it's my body reacting to surgery, IV, pain meds, and such. My stomach feels (and looks) huge. Has anyone else had gallbladder surgery? Pain isn't as bad tonight. Hoping for a quiet weekend and easier movement in the next few days.

Replies

• sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    and they probably pumped you full of fluids! Don't worry about it, if it came on that fast it has to be fluids. It's impossible to really gain 7 real lbs overnight. It will go back down soon.

Hope your feeling better soon!
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!!:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I believe they do pump gas into the abdomen to help with the surgery.. Maybe that is the bloated feeling.. Also they have pumped you with fluid's, weigh yourself in a few days and see. Feel better and get well quick!!!
  • naturalShar
    Options
    hello! I'm a newbie :smile:
    i had gallbladder surgery in Dec.2009.My doctor told me that the bloating was natural after the surgery if you had the gas pumped into you. t slowly went down and I proceeded to lose 30 pounds after having it removed.:happy:
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    IV fluids do it everytime. Did you have a laparascopic procedure? If so, the gas buildup will give you the bloat for sure. Keep walking around...that will move it out. Hope you heal well!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    lke the one poster said it is fluids. sometimes i surgery your blood pressure drops and they use fluids to bring it back up. one bag is one Kg or 2.2 lbs. you should start to shift the fluids and pee it out. you didn't say if it was laproscopic or open. the recovery time is pretty quick if it wasn't open. take care and resume exercise when cleared by MD. and be very careful that your calorie count is good u ntil then. take care and a speedy recover to you, also congrats on the weight loss you already have good job.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am healthcare professional AND have had my gallbladder removed. You can even watch a lap chole done on youtube, if you are in to that sort of thing. IV fluids can cause weight gain, laying in bed for a period of time can cause weight gain due to where the fluid sits in your body (that will adjust after being up and about)... and they also pump your entire abd with gas so that they can manipulate the lap tools to remove the gallbladder without injury. Just focus on healing at this point and not the weight gain. :) It will drop off, don't worry. I sure hope you feel better soon and I wish you a speedy and healthy recovery!!!!
  • izybalizy
    izybalizy Posts: 19
    Options
    I have not had it, but my mom just went through the same thing in April. My moms doctor explained that when they do the surgery they pump your stomach full of air so that they can get in and move around without any problems, between that and IV fluids, pain meds you body is most likely retaining anything you put in it. Dont worry about it, within a few weeks my mom had lost 10lbs on top of her post surgery weight.
  • nikkieliivey
    nikkieliivey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i wi keep you in my prayers! i hope you have a quick and painless recovery!
  • jkstoysich
    jkstoysich Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, my procedure was laproscopic and I did watch watch the procedure on youtube (kinda gross, but I like to know what's going to happen). It's encouraging to hear from several who have lost weight following gall bladder surgery. I took a long walk the night before surgery, knowing I'd be down for a few days, but even today I am feeling so much better than yesterday, so I imagine it won't be long that me and my little dog will be out walking again. Thanks for all your replies!
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    I had gallbladder surgery 27 yrs ago the good ol' fashion open method. Be thankful, very thankful you had laproscopic. After giving birth naturally with no meds 3 times and several other abdominal surgeries (long stories) I can say that the gallbladder surgery was the most painful and longest recovery of ALL. But it was also the worst pain(the gall stones) so it figures.

Take care and have a quick recovery.
  • ccann
    ccann Posts: 2
    Options
    Okay, I had Gallbladder Surgery over a year ago, although I am remaining the same weight, I can't lose any weight. I had gallbladder surgery when my second child was 3 months old. So I have all the weight I gained during pregnancy. I am burning more callories then I consume, drinking my weight in water and running everyother day, with weight training... I should have lost 20 lbs by now at least.... anyone else experiencing the same thing???? I have done research on the internet and what I am experiencing sounds similar to the ones who gain 30lbs after surgery.. except, I am neither losing or gaining... and I need to lose.... I refuse to buy new clothes so I am always in a tee-shirt and althetic shorts/pants....and I have a family vacation in 6 weeks, that I have been trying to get in shape for for over 9months now.....
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pleased you feeling better today :flowerforyou:
  • ccaruso219
    ccaruso219 Posts: 92
    Options
    Jackie,

I had my gall bladder out 3 years ago. Remember that tehy pump you with air and the anesthia gives you bloat. Trust me you will be relieve your self of gas for a while. Also, word of caution, stay away from any fatty foods, you will expel them rapidly. I had an issue with tomatoes, cheese and espresso for 2 months after the surgery. I was back to work after 2 weeks, but it took a few months before I was 100%. Feel better, get alot of rest......
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had mine out a few years ago too and recovered quickly. Don't worry -- all that weight will come off. It's just lots and lots of fluid they pump you up with during/after surgery. Give it about a week and you'll be down plus some extra!
  • MadHatR5
    MadHatR5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that the doctor didn't maybe leave his 10 lb wallet in there?! ;)

I had mine taken out last year and it's the best decision I ever made. The previous 2 years, everytime I had an attack, they (and I) thought the chest pain was my heart. But thanks to my new (and brilliant) doctor, she was able to figure out what it was.

A little blurp about future eating habits after surgery to be aware of:
    "Experts at Intelihealth suggest that weight gain isn't caused by the function of the gallbladder, but because of the increased ability for people to eat fatty foods once again."

Rest up, eat smart, and keep up your fluid intake.
  • Pastornc
    Pastornc Posts: 1
    Options
    Yesterday I also had gb surgery and weighed myself and exactly 7 pds heavier...found these posts and was relieved this is do to surgery...
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    They pump your stomach full of air so they can work around those little organs. That's why you are feeling bloated and why your tummy feels bigger. I wouldn't even get on the scale for at least a week.

I had mine out last year. My only advice is to take it slow! I tried to do way too much too soon and it only led to more discomfort and a longer recovery time.
  • Gerry_Lane
    Gerry_Lane Posts: 27
    Options
    You have no idea how much fluid you receive during and after surgery....it is not anything to worry about, but you body needed it for the stress it was under...you will be fine.

Dr Gerry Lane
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I had this done in April. I "gained" about 10lbs afterward. In about 2 weeks it went down though. a lot of it is fluid from the IVs, etc. Your stomach is so "puffed out" because of the air they pumped into it. mine still doesnt look normal, it is still slightly puffed out above my navel. I wouldnt worry about it, your weight should get back to normal pretty soon. I hope you are feeling better soon!!! :flowerforyou: