Do you lie about studying?

2»

Replies

• ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    I'm the person who works their butt off and revises for exams but still comes out with mediocore marks :( I go blank in exams.
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    #1, I study my butt off and usually make a great test grade. Though, there have been times where I wasn't able to study and I still did relatively well, on the flip side, during a physical science course I took I did not have time to study and I got a 64 on the 4th exam :( Usually, time and kids permitting, I am the person who make flash cards and study's every night for 3 or 4 days before the test :)
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    In high school, I was always the never study type but I would admit I hadn't... and then I'd get top marks. I cruised through my high school certificate and even first year of University with no study but completing all the work. However, 2nd year of University (i'm doing chemical engineering), shock of my life - showing up to lectures was no longer enough. Content was too hard to learn by just listening once.... I now have to go over things a lot and practice LOADS of questions just to get a solid grasp on everything... sigh!
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    I was always a lazy person that never did anything at school. I sat there, more or less absorbed the teachers' ramblings and did well in tests. Now that I'm at university that's no longer an option. I try hard to study every day, but still manage to screw up sometimes. I blame 1/3 ADD; 1/3 laziness; and 1/3 on the difficulty of the subject I study.

There's no point in lying about how much you study. I really admire people that study a lot, I envy those that don't have to lift a finger and still get good grades, and I can relate to the people studying as much as I do.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    I never really studied, and wrote the majority of my papers the night before they were due. LOL Graduated cum laude so I must have done something right.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    As a professor, I can say that, in the end, it doesn't really matter what you say you did, but how you performed. Not sure why students lie about studying either way ... in the end, it ends up being about being able to perform.
  • HeatherLeahxx
    HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
    As a professor, I can say that, in the end, it doesn't really matter what you say you did, but how you performed. Not sure why students lie about studying either way ... in the end, it ends up being about being able to perform.

As a student , I have noticed there is A LOT of competition. Some students feel the need to lie about studying. By doing this, other students get the idea into their head that if their best friend isn't studying, then they don't feel the need to study either. I've witnessed friends do it to each other just so they could get ahead. It's sad and quite pathetic.
  • missball
    missball Posts: 21 Member
    I'm a 1.
    I study, and it's got me pretty far qualifications wise.
    Not studying but still doing well may work in school, but it certainly won't once you hit Uni.
    I don't understand 2 - why would studying be something to hide? Sure it's a sign of taking pride in yourself and your future.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member

As a student , I have noticed there is A LOT of competition. Some students feel the need to lie about studying. By doing this, other students get the idea into their head that if their best friend isn't studying, then they don't feel the need to study either. I've witnessed friends do it to each other just so they could get ahead. It's sad and quite pathetic.

Ultimately the student has learned two valuable lessons in that instance ... 1) success is driven by your own efforts and not by what others around you might be doing or might not be doing with regard to their own success and 2) be very, very careful in picking your friends.
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Depended on the subject (like Genetics) but most of the time number 1. there were some subjects I never studied and I still did AWESOME (most basic courses, especially math).
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Number 1 some of the time, number 2 more often. Though I wouldn't call it closet studier. I don't study at all, serious. I just pay attention in class and do the assignments and usually that is enough for me. Though with trigonometry I had to study more than I imagined, do twice as many practice assignments, and just barely squeaked by with a 90%.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    I'm the number one type.