HRM Protocol

Options
Hi guys

I just wondered how do you operate your HRM?

Do you pause it when resting, if so how much rest?

Basically what is your HRM Protocol for recording calories burned?

Replies

• imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I stop mine when my heart rate has dropped back down most of the way.

In terms of logging i subtract my TDEE for that period of time from the HRM calories to get my total exercise calories burned
  • BoxingCoachMo
    BoxingCoachMo Posts: 420
    Options
    subtract tdee? How do you work that out though...
  • BoxingCoachMo
    BoxingCoachMo Posts: 420
    Options
    bump
  • Flamenquero
    Flamenquero Posts: 132
    Options
    I start at the beginning of the exercise session and stop at the end of the session. So if I am lifting weights for an hour, then it stays on for the whole hour. I don't pause it while resting between sets. Then the average heart rate at the end of the hour is what I use to calculate the calories burned.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    press start
    warm up (if applicable)
    exercise
    cool down (if applicable)
    press stop
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have 2400 calories of TDEE, that's 100 per hour. If you do a one hour workout for 800 cals, you would remove 100 from it, and that would be the "exercise calories" you just burnt, 700.
  • cubanita28
    cubanita28 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I normally just log exactly what my HRM says I burned during the particular workout. I am not eating back my calories because I am trying to lose weight but I am still curious. Thanks.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't start mine until after I am warmed up. If I am doing strength training I rest between sets until my heart rate drops out of my "zone" at 125, and then go another round. If I stop long enough to do something where my heart rate drops below that, then I pause and start back up once my heart rate is back in the zone again. I stop it when I am done working out (BEFORE my heart rate drops back down), before any cool down. I don't worry about subtracting my TDEE because I try not to eat back all my exercise cals, and plus my workouts are usually short and intense (therefore not awhole lot of TDEE time).

It doesn't matter awhole lot when you start and stop yours, as long as you aren't recording while your heart rate is near rest. Always err on the side of caution.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I start it after my warm up, when my heartrate is up, and end it when my heartrate is close to resting rate again. ideally, during a workout, I don't let my heartrate get back down to "resting" rate... so I count the entire time until I am warmed down.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    press start
    warm up (if applicable)
    exercise
    cool down (if applicable)
    press stop

Yup.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I press start and run it through warm up, the entire workout, and through cool down. I log the actual calories that the HRM records, and I eat most or all of my calories back most days. And I'm losing weight. :smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I normally just log exactly what my HRM says I burned during the particular workout. I am not eating back my calories because I am trying to lose weight but I am still curious. Thanks.

So when you did your profile on MFP, you selected a weight loss goal of Maintenance?

Or did you select a 1 or 2 lb goal weekly?

Check your Goals page, you already have a deficit likely, which means your exercise and your method of doing it is adding in even more unwise deficit.
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    I don't start mine until after I am warmed up. If I am doing strength training I rest between sets until my heart rate drops out of my "zone" at 125, and then go another round. If I stop long enough to do something where my heart rate drops below that, then I pause and start back up once my heart rate is back in the zone again. I stop it when I am done working out (BEFORE my heart rate drops back down), before any cool down. I don't worry about subtracting my TDEE because I try not to eat back all my exercise cals, and plus my workouts are usually short and intense (therefore not awhole lot of TDEE time).

It doesn't matter awhole lot when you start and stop yours, as long as you aren't recording while your heart rate is near rest. Always err on the side of caution.

How do you know what's your "zone'?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    How do you know what's your "zone'?

HRM tab of this spreadsheet, bottom section, you can calculate your zones. Well, right above this section is place for figuring out your maxHR which is needed as part of calc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE