skipping breakfast..can't help it. Can you help me?

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency

Not sharing because I wrote it, I'm sharing because I've referenced external sites with research indicating that meal frequency isn't going to effect diet induced thermogenesis.

In short, breakfast or frequent feeding isn't revving up anything.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Most important meal of the day, especially for petites. Revs your metabolism, sets the tone for the day etc etc and blah blah blah, I know better, yet I'm not doing better.

old myths die hard
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Did you know the true meaning of breakfast? It is "break-the-fast" and it IS the most important mean of the day. If you are not hungry in the morning (which can happen) then eat something like a banana and I bet that in an hour or so you will be hungry. I also think you have to train your body to want breakfast as I used to HATE breakfast and skipped too. Then I started one day making it a habit and now I could not survive without!!! Good luck..........

But there is no reason to train your body to eat at any time of the day. The first meal you have after en extended period of fasting is important, but if an individual is not hungry or otherwise predisposed to eat in the morning, forcing themselves to eat is not beneficial. Going a few extra hours without eating is not harmful and there is a lot of literature out there showing that extending the daily fasting period has a positive effect on body composition.

Exactly! How is it any different than people who sleep late and don't eat until 10 or 11am? Why does breakfast HAVE to occur between 5am an 9am? Granted, breakfast usually occurs first thing in the morning, but, technically, Breakfast (or Breaking Fast) is the FIRST meal AFTER fasting...period. If you're not hungry until a couple of hours after you wake up, don't eat right away. However, keep in mind that there is a difference between "not really hungry" and "I don't feel like eating". Maybe have a glass of juice or a small smoothie when first waking, then have some solids a couple hours after that.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. Eating at a certain time of day or eating a number of times a day does not have any effect on your metabolism. These are both huge urban legends that get perpetuated ad infinitum.
  • 4cstadler
    4cstadler Posts: 9
    Options
    I am also a person who can not eat until 9:00 in the morning. Food just does not agree with me. It is the way we are made. When you eat your first meal of the day no matter what time it is, it's still technically breakfast. I think along those lines and it works great for me. I have a fiber one bar around 9:00 a.m. then have my lunch at 11:30 a.m. Super is at 6:00 p.m. I eat fruits or vegs as snacks if I need them. I hope this helps you.
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't eat.
    I'm with you, I hate breakfast and have to force myself to eat it because I'm not hungry. But if I don't eat within two hours of getting up my energy level is low for the entire day.
    So unless eating/not eating is going to have the same effect on you then don't worry about it.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am skipping breakfast :blushing:
    Most important meal of the day, especially for petites. Revs your metabolism, sets the tone for the day etc etc and blah blah blah, I know better, yet I'm not doing better.
    I'm just not hungry till about 11:00. (post workout, post shower, post posting online lol)
    I don't eat late at night, I should be hungry when I wake up, but I'm not, I just want my americano and my decor mag to browse while I shift into the pace of the day. I actually look forward to that ritual, so if you say "nix the americano" because it's an appetite suppressant, I may have to curl in the fetal position and cry in the corner.

:noway: There's got to be a better way!

eat breakfast. when I'm at my peak fitness and meals, I'm never hungry. But I know my body needs food
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to be hungry at breakfast time, you could wake up earlier in the morning...Now that I wake up before 5, I am hungry by 9 or so...

As long as you are getting your calories, you are fine.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I'm just not hungry till about 11:00. (post workout, post shower, post posting online lol)

So have breakfast at 11:00...what's wrong with that. I do it all the time. :)
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Ummm I skip breakfast everyday as I am doing leangains, so I don't eat my first meal until 10 or 11 and I stop eating around 6-7. It has done wonders for my weight loss, I've dropped 7.5 in the last 3 weeks so I don't think skipping breakfast is that big of a deal.
  • rrhennen
    rrhennen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Interesting info! I go back and forth myself which I've always understood to not be good. Generally, I'm not big on bfast and eat because I think I "have" to. But some days I am overhungry when I get up in the morning and can't wait to get something in my tummy! Then there is today...I didn't feel like getting anything to eat until about 9 which is three hours after I got up for the day.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    If you're hungry after 11am then eat then. Don't worry about the metabolism crap, eat whenever you want and as little or as many times as you want. It's irrelevant to fat loss.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I had to force myself to eat breakfast in the morning. Still do most days. I'm just not hungry until 4ish hours into my day.

HOWEVER, if you are getting up and jumping straight into your routine without eating breakfast, your body will start pulling calories from your muscles and not your fat stores. Even if you burn more than what you eat, if you have food in you, your body will pull it from fat stores instead.

So yes, you can start your day and not eat breakfast and work out and everything, and yes, you can lose weight that way, but your body is going to go to your muscle before it goes to the fat stores.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Make some yummy stuff beforehand and freeze it so you can just pop it in the microwave while you are reading. works for me and I've come to really enjoy breakfast!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    HOWEVER, if you are getting up and jumping straight into your routine without eating breakfast, your body will start pulling calories from your muscles and not your fat stores.

What makes you think this?

Even if you burn more than what you eat, if you have food in you, your body will pull it from fat stores instead.

And this?
  • godsoon
    godsoon Posts: 19
    Options
    skipping breakfast bad for you? Just a missconception perpetrated vy the reay to eat breakfast ceral industry.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry.

The 'most important meal' idea is definitely a myth
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-skipping-breakfast-bad-for-you.aspx

It was probably perpetuated by the following:
    1) clever marketing by manufacturers of breakfast foods
    2) the fact that skipping breakfast can cause some people to binge later on in the day, causing weight gain

There's a lot of research being done on the effects of fasting on health/fitness. If you look up 'intermittent fasting' it pretty much flies in the face of the conventional "EAT BREAKFAST!" wisdom
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with those saying "eat when you're hungry and don't when you're not"

Sometimes I wake up hungry, so I eat, sometimes I'm not so I wait to eat until I'm hungry. I don't listen to people or programs telling me how much to eat and when, I listen to my body.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I don't usually like breakfast either.. I started trying smoothies =) So yummy. It makes my stomach hurt when I make myself eat something..smoothies don't do that. =)
  • avavin_ac
    avavin_ac Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree. I was the same way as well. I hating the "you have to eat breakfast".....finally I just started slow with an Atkins breakfast shake and a banana and I can definitely see the change. Now I have fruit and oatmeal or something and it is almost ALWAYS on the way to work.