Went from a size 10 to 14 in one day!

Options
2»

Replies

• Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    can't we have measures in inches like men

That wouldn't work either as the sizes are not always accurate either.

I buy pants that fit, not based on what the tag says.
  • tuppencehapenny
    Options
    So-called "vanity" sizing is to blame for the fact that a size 16 in the 1940s is equivalent to a size 10 or even an 8 today (in the UK; vanity sizing in the US is even faster moving - that 1940s 16 is now about a size 6 US).

A blogging friend of mine is actually running a campaign for clearer sizing http://www.retrochick.co.uk/2011/05/25/campaign-for-clearer-sizing/ - it's so hard to shop in the high street these days. I do most of my shopping online - I wear vintage clothing so go purely by the measurements, not the label. So when I come to shopping on the high street I haven't the first idea what size to get. As recently as the 1980s some clothes were labelled [size 14 - to fit bust 36" hips 38"] or whatever - I don't see why they can't bring that back.
  • biddypat
    biddypat Posts: 12
    Options
    Vanity sizing has us all upside down. I wish they could just pick a bloody size and leave it at that. I hate that from one shop to another you have to try everything on. I hate trying clothes on in shops, too warm, and the fitting room is usually too small with a que outside, aaaaaaargh, I have three pairs of Primark,( pennys we call it here) in my wardrobe all fit , size 10 , size 12, and size 14, madness. Picked up a pair of jeans last week size 10 and they won't pass my knees, Go figure. Next seem fairly true to size, they don't fluctuate between jeans anyway.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Even more fun when you're from out of the country!
    I'm from Germany where I'm a size 40-42 (just the regular Large area), but in some stores I can fit into M-sized clothes while in other stores I feel like a gigantic hippo when I can't even fit into their XL versions...
    when I shop on holiday in the UK, I am everything from a 10 to a 16! I even have some S-size shirts that fit me? It is so strange.
    I ordered a dress from the US once, got it in XL for fear of a too tight waist, and it was wayy to big...
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    Size really doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, I love fitting into smaller clothes, but what the label says doesn't determine how I feel.

Buy clothes to fit your body, to flatter the hard work you do; don't try to fit someone else's standard.
  • Moxylein
    Moxylein Posts: 52
    Options
    Easy to say, if some stores don't even have sizes "that big". I'm usually fitting in some 42 (german sizing), but in some stores the clothes are just that tiny, that you don't stand a chance even with the biggest size...
    I'm really hoping that will change for me soon *sigh*
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do numbers matter all that much? If they fit, they fit. Sounds like you missed out on a nice pair of pants.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Im afriad to say that primarks cloth are crap, Ive long since notice that one pair of say a 14 is not the same as the next. I can buy a 14 in there and it might be tight, or very close fitting but if i go to a good shop its loose lol. Best not to buy in there even if it is cheap lol.
  • toomuchlatte
    Options
    I love this reply xx
  • jacqui250
    jacqui250 Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks guys I'm thinking about starting a new group "let's boycott primark till they get a grip" lol :-))))
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I remember a few months back, my husband came home and threw a pair of three-quarter length jeans on the bed "I found these in that new shop in the high-street"

"Ahh lovely" thinks I, until I tried them on and they wouldn't go anywhere near me.

Taking them off I got the tape-measure and measured the hips on this item. Instead of the 40" hips, which they were supposed to be, which is what I was at the time, they actually measured 34"!!!!

The size label in the garment showed "size 14" (UK), 34" hips is actually an 8 (UK).

Anyhow I kept the item and periodically try it on, just for the crack. I can get into it now and do them up, but they are a tad tight pmsl.

Sizing needs to be universal IMO, too much disparity in all the different stores.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Currently I am wearing sizes UK 12 14 16 (all from the same store funnily enough)
    Aghhhh!
    Why can't be have standard sizing!?!
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Matalan too - i wnet for some new yoga trousers, in one type I couldn't get my hips into a 14..the ones I bought are a 12 and they are loose round the waist...

I know it doesn't matter what the size says but it means you can never buy anything without taking at least 3 sizes into the changing room and trying them on, which is a pain..
  • allie316
    allie316 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You all do realize that none of you ARE the number on the label of your clothes, right? You are all wonderful, intelligent, beautiful women. Some of you happen to wear clothes with different abstract symbols used to identify them...those symbols are not you and you are not those symbols.

positive attitudes make such a difference! such a lovely thing to see posted!