skipping breakfast..can't help it. Can you help me?

Options

Replies

• FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters if you dont eat breakfast like others have said it is all about calories in vs calories out.

However, I am the smallest I have EVER been and I eat breakfast whereas when I was 30lbs heavier I NEVER ate breakfast BUT they could be completely unrelated ;)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Not hungry at breakfast time, don't eat breakfast. Simple as that. Just make sure you're eating enough in the rest of the day.

Indeed.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    just take one scoop of protein powder in one cup of water. It takes ten seconds and it's all cakey and nasty but hey... it will stop your body lowering your metabolism... maybe.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    to Morrisonkm9, I don't think they are unrelated. I am forcing myself to eat something in the morning and I am losing much faster than ever before.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    to Morrisonkm9, I don't think they are unrelated. I am forcing myself to eat something in the morning and I am losing much faster than ever before.

whitebreadloaf.jpg
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    OMG! I ate that bread. I hung a bulletin in my gym looking for it!
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The earlier you eat in the day, the less will be on your stomach at night when you go to sleep. It is better to eat your heavier meals earlier in the morning than at night when you go to bed and all the food turns to fat. Hope this helps.

Not true. Just because you are not awake or active does not cause your food to turn to fat. Eating in excess of your caloric requirements makes you get fat. Timing makes no difference.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Don't eat if you're not hungry. That's how we all (for the most part) got fat in the first place.

^^^^^ This!!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Thie important thing about breakfast is that is starts your metabolism for the day. Medical studies have shown that people who eat breakfast lose more weight and are more successful keeping it off, so it is not a myth or a hoax.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

That being said, I too HATE eating first thing in the AM.

So, for about 2 months now, I have been juicing for breakfast. I bought a juicer, paid the whopping 99 cents for the Juice Rx app on my phone, and have been experimenting with the recipes. This has worked really well for me! When I juice, I am not hungry until lunch, my energy is improved, and my skin is the nicest it has been in years. I can make it the night before, so I gran and go in the AM.

Some tips however...
    *Don't juice broccoli. EVER. It will overcome everything, and not in a pleasant way. However, apples sweeten everything.
    *Until you are used to it, stay a convenient distance to the restroom. Let's just say I am WELL hydrated!
    *Some juices come out FUNKY colors. Wal-Mart has cups that you can put in the freezer which helps your juice stay cold. They also come in colors such as green and red, so I cannot see what color juice I am drinking!

Plus, my fruit & veg intake has improved drastically. Good luck!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thie important thing about breakfast is that is starts your metabolism for the day. Medical studies have shown that people who eat breakfast lose more weight and are more successful keeping it off, so it is not a myth or a hoax.

5382388872_e55d61a3f7_z.jpg
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

The studies showing this are not controlling net intake for the day. If skipping breakfast causes you to over-eat for the day then obviously this would cause weight gain and the individual would choose not to do this.

Given equal energy intake, it will not make any metabolic difference whether you eat breakfast or not.
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    The whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" thing is a myth. If you're not a breakfast-eater, there's no need to force yourself into it.

This. I don't eat until around 11-12 every day and stop eating by 7-8 pm.
  • rgriehs
    rgriehs Posts: 1
    Options
    Breakfast is very important! When they say "it is the most important meal of the day", it's for a reason. Try trying to drive your car without putting your foot on the gas pedal or putting gas in your car. You don't have anything to get it going. Same thing with eating breakfast. It helps "jump start" your metabolism to make you burn calories more efficiently. It also helps you be less hungry throughout the rest of the day.

Try having something with protein. This will help control your appetite. My suggestion would be Greek yogurt--flavored or unflavored. If get unflavored, try flavoring with 1 Tbsp sugar free jam of your choosing. Non-fat or 2% Greek yogurt along with a small piece of fruit is a great way to get your body going. You could also try Weight Control oatmeal. This has the protein and fiber to help you feel full and control your appetite.

Breakfast is extremely important! Make sure you don't skip it. Also, make sure you don't go too long without eating other meals. You should have something every 3-4 hours. This helps control your appetite and portions. Lean protein and fiber-rich foods are the key to keeping portions under control.

Just so you know, I am a registered dietitian and have been working in the weight management field for 10 years.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I vary rarely eat breakfast because I like to save my calories for later in the day. I am a recovering night time binge eater and I still feel the need for a small amount of healthy evening calories or I will be in trouble with my urges. During my 100 pound loss I have been drinking a 40 calorie cup of coffee for breakfast then having a substantial lunch around 11:30. I stop eating by 9:30 pm so my body has an intermittent fast of 14 hours every day. it has worked very well for me. Of course, if I am actually hungry in the morning or I know I will not be able to eat lunch until later, I will have a small breakfast like some whole grain hot cereal. I listen to my body and never force myself to eat.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It helps "jump start" your metabolism to make you burn calories more efficiently. It also helps you be less hungry throughout the rest of the day.

Since you're qualified to answer this, can you explain how diet induced thermogenesis is frequency based?
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i don't pay a lick of attention to Dr Oz. he changes what he supports daily. if you can't eat a full breakfast, what about a banana or another piece of fruit? could you manage to get 1 piece of fruit in the am? it would be better than nothing. i am a petite, but i have to eat SOMETHING for breakfast, even if it's not a "proper" breakfast.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think the question you have to answer is are you losing/maintaining the weight you want and if not, maybe mixing things up a bit concerning mealtimes is a good idea. No two people are the same, and you need to find what works for you. Eating breakfast works for me because I do better if I never get "stomach growling" hungry. When I do, I overeat and eat the wrong things.

I know what never works... feeling guilty about not eating the way Dr. Oz or anyone else says you should. If you are healthy (hope you are getting regular checkups) and feel good, stick with your routine.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The studies showing this are not controlling net intake for the day. If skipping breakfast causes you to over-eat for the day then obviously this would cause weight gain and the individual would choose not to do this.

You're absolutely right about the thermogenesis part. So the sentence you highlighted is really the crux of the argument. People should do whatever works for them.

The epidemiology regarding breakfast is probably filled with confounders. But since it's there, it's not a bad idea for a someone who both skips breakfast and struggles to control their appetite to experiment with eating breakfast. Obviously if you're not overweight, then keep doing what you're doing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is very important! When they say "it is the most important meal of the day", it's for a reason. Try trying to drive your car without putting your foot on the gas pedal or putting gas in your car. You don't have anything to get it going. Same thing with eating breakfast. It helps "jump start" your metabolism to make you burn calories more efficiently. It also helps you be less hungry throughout the rest of the day.

First, for some people, eating breakfast makes them more hungry rather than less.

Second, if I fill my car up on Saturday and have half a tank left when I park it for the night, it will start and run for many, many, many miles on Sunday morning without needing more gasoline.

All that fat and muscle that's on your body is stored fuel. That breakfast you eat when you wake up has to go through digestion before your body can even start to use it, so it isn't fueling you until hours after you eat it. And even then, you still have stored energy. If you had no stored energy, you would die.