what are some good tasting protein bars and shakes?

Options

Replies

• nstratton_1
    nstratton_1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My favorite bars are BNRG Power Crunch bars - great for a meal replacement...no artificial sugars, about 200-210 calories depending on which of the 6 flavors you get. Nice taste, sweetness and crunch. 14g Protein, 5g sugar, 1g fiber, 10g carbs, 12g fat. No soy - uses whey protein. Favorite flavors: peanut butter, vanilla creme, triple chocolate...other flavors - chocolate peanut butter, cookies & creme, berry. I can find favorite flavors at Wal-Mart...but for other flavors, I order from netrition.com.

As for shakes - I prefer whey protein...and like Jillian Michael's chocolate - its got more fiber than alot of other whey protein shake mixes.

Currently I'm on a meal replacement food plan, that has shakes, soups, bars, etc. so I'm not doing over the counter bars and shakes right now.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    im trying to get into the bars and shakes, but i cant find any that taste half way decent. any suggestions?

feel free to add me as well :)

What a way to add friends...Only 19 OK i'll send you a creeper FR right away..lol

I'm using Body Fortress Whey Protein Vanilla 1 scoop 140 cal 26g protein
    I started with vanilla so I could have more option for diff blends.
    Good luck
  • lmocha
    lmocha Posts: 16
    Options
    I 've just starterd buying these in the past month..so far, my faves include Luna (Chocolate peppermint), Elevate Me (cocoa coconut cluster) and Lara (Coconut cream). Luna has the lowest calories and Elevate Me, the highest protein.
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    :noway:

Don't buy protein bars... Filled with sugars and processed garbage; you can make your own for WAY cheaper that will taste better and be a lot better for your health and goals...
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Clif Bars! The mint chocolate chip is my favorite. However,they're a little high in sugar

Started on them...didn't like the sugar crash...that's just me
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    Quest Bars... period
  • Altoidsman
    Altoidsman Posts: 11
    Options
    Don't buy protein bars... Filled with sugars and processed garbage; you can make your own for WAY cheaper that will taste better and be a lot better for your health and goals...

I don't know about making your own but YES most of these things have suguar.

I'm buying Premier Protein Drink with 30 Grams Protein and 160 Calories.
    Also Detour Lower Sugar bars are awesome with 15 Grams Protein and 1 G sugar.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I don't do the protein bars too much. Although I do have them in a pinch just in case I can't have a meal or something on the go. I use Muscletech chocolate whey protein shakes with PB2..they are delicious with an unsweet almond mild or with water.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I have been trying several different brands. I can't buy them locally, so I have bought a bunch but haven't been able to try them all yet. Of course, flavors and taste are such an individual preference.

Luna Bars- good, but I want more protein
    Nutz over Chocolate, Smores and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut are my favorite.
    Lemon Zest and Peanut Butter Cookie - I wouldn't buy again.

Luna Protein Bars
    Chocolate Peanut Butter -I would buy again
    Cookie Dough - haven't tried it yet

Detour Lean Muscle
    Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch - very good, my daughter said it taste like a candy bar. Actually the bar is chewy and not crunchy.

Pure Protein
    Chocolate Deluxe - ok, but wouldn't buy again
    Chocolate Peanut Butter - I would buy again
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Think Thin Bars are fairly decent tasting and not too bad for carbs. I usually find them at Trader Joe's.

I also like Premiere Protein Double Chocolate Crunch bars.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I have been trying several different brands. I can't buy them locally, so I have bought a bunch but haven't been able to try them all yet. Of course, flavors and taste are such an individual preference.

Luna Bars- good, but I want more protein
    Nutz over Chocolate, Smores and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut are my favorite.
    Lemon Zest and Peanut Butter Cookie - I wouldn't buy again.

Luna Protein Bars
    Chocolate Peanut Butter -I would buy again
    Cookie Dough - haven't tried it yet

Detour Lean Muscle
    Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch - very good, my daughter said it taste like a candy bar. Actually the bar is chewy and not crunchy.

Pure Protein
    Chocolate Deluxe - ok, but wouldn't buy again
    Chocolate Peanut Butter - I would buy again

Hit enter too soon.

Pure Protein
    Revolution Chocolate Peanut Caramel -(Snicker bar) -can't wait to try
    Blueberry Crumb Cake - haven't tried yet
    Chewy Chocolate Chip- haven't tried yet
    Peanut Marshmallow Eclipse - haven't tried yet

Met Rx. Protein Plus
    Mud Pie Fusion - wouldn't buy again
    Chocolate Chocolate Chunk - I would buy this again
    Chocolate Roasted Peanut - not bad, I would probably buy again
    Chocolate Fudge Deluxe - haven't tried yet
    Creamy Peanut Butter Crisp- haven't tried yet
    Creamy Cookie Crisp - haven't tried yet

Zone Perfect
    Dark Chocolate Caramel Pecan - haven't tried yet

Lara Bars- Good but I am looking for more protein
    Peanut Butter and Jelly - would buy again
    Chocolate Chip - not bad
    Cherry Pie - not bad
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If you like the Girl Scouts Thin Mint cookies, the ZONE chocolate mint protein bar is good. I am just now trying the different ones.

Love the zone bars...like the strawberry yogurt, blueberry pomegranate, fudge graham.....and the chocolate mint goes without saying! Luna bars are ok too...different. Blueberry and chocolate peppermint...
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Think Thin are my fav. And I love Optimum Nutrition Chocolate...:-)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    The best bar I ever had tastes like a candy bar! lol It's one of the Special K meal replacement protein bars! mmmm!!!

Protein shakes...go to GNC get the wheybolic ones.... i LOVE the chocolate, I have it every morning mixed with a cup of skim milk & it tastes just like chocolate milk. (as a female I only use one scoop)

LOVE the Special K bars, especially the chocolate peanut butter!
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    From COSTCO: Premier High Protein Chocolate Shake. 160 cals, 30 grams of Protein. They are about $24 for 18 individual containers. My only complaint is they are a bit wasteful as they are individually packaged but the taste great. I have half at a time.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    unprocessed foods are best, blah blah, i know but sometimes you just don't want a slab of meat! haha. i love zone perfect protein bars and i also use gaspari myofusion protein powder for shakes on workout days :)
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Like a previous poster, I also get the Premier drink from Costco (very reasonably priced). They are good compared to other drinks I've tried. Just make sure they are super cold when you drink them :)

Costco also carries the Muscle Milk drink which is tasty but you don't get as much protein as the Premier brand drink.
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    Options
    I've been using Muscletech Nitrotech for the last couple of months and I found it to be initially very sweet. However I am coming from an all natural protein shake, which had no sweetners in it and my pallet had become used to no sweetners. That was very bland but I soon got used to it. When I initially moved to Muscletech's shake I thought it was far too sweet but I think it was because I wasn't used to it. I also made the mistake of using two scoops of Muscletech at the beginning making it even sweeter (the packaging says you can use two or even three scoops) but now I stick with just one scoop and with milk it tastes really good and now I am used to it I really like it. With very cold milk it is delicious. I may buy it again as it seems to have had good results with me.
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options

I don't know about making your own but YES most of these things have suguar.

I'm buying Premier Protein Drink with 30 Grams Protein and 160 Calories.
    Also Detour Lower Sugar bars are awesome with 15 Grams Protein and 1 G sugar.

Making your own protein bars is one of the most simple things you can do...

As far as the macros for that protein bar goes, that's great, but how much processed garbage is in them?
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I have only had two RTD protein drinks before. The Atkins protein drink wasn't bad at all, creamy and very pleasant tasting.

I just had my first Pure Protein shake, Frosty Chocolate and it is sickenly sweet. I bought a 4 pack, so I have 3 left, I wonder if Wal-Mart would take it back? I might try adding some cocoa powder to the one I have opened to see if that helps any.