Couch to 5K?

Options
2»

Replies

• shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i just searched couch to 5k on my ipod and downloaded the app. it just slowly builds your endurance by having you run short times with walking in between. the amount that you run increases slowly as you go through the program. i finished the whole thing and i wasnt a runner at all when i started. i think its a great app!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I have an android, not an iphone, so I can't use Iphone apps. Are there similar apps for the android smartphones?

Yup. Do a search for C25K. You'll find the app from coolrunning (about $2 and WELL worth it). There are also a couple of free ones.
  • Yogeros
    Yogeros Posts: 19
    Options
    I was reading up on this program as well and found it to be quite motivational. I have never ran any races in my life. After reading what the program entails, I figured I am making it one of my goals to run a 5K. Well, I just signed up for my first 5K run that will be held Sept. 23, 2012! The website is http://www.qcmarathon.org/
    I still can't believe I signed up, LOL! I have a lot of work to do, but I am thrilled to have made it a goal of mine!!

Me too! I signed up for a 5K for September 22 when I just started the app. I am optimistic. I am doing week 2 this week.

Fantastic! I just started with Week 1 Day 1 yesterday and realized how out of shape I am in. WE CAN do this!! Good luck on your training!!
  • tlavergne35
    tlavergne35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    it is in app on iphone or ipod it gradually gets you to get off the couch and works you up to doing a 5k run. It will start off by saying warm up for the first time like 15 min then it will tell you to run for like a minute and walk again - repeat until you are running full flow - it took me about 3 weeks I was doing good and then sprained my ankle really bad - havent' done it in a year - going to try next week hopefully. Hope that helps.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I completed couch 2 5k about two years ago. I was never a runner.
    I ran 7.5 miles last night, I had to stop because it was to dark out. After week 9, your going to wonder how day 1 week one was hard.

Do it, get the apps. Sign up for a 5k!
  • scadoodles
    scadoodles Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just finished this, I got the free app for the iphone! I loved it!!! :)
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was reading up on this program as well and found it to be quite motivational. I have never ran any races in my life. After reading what the program entails, I figured I am making it one of my goals to run a 5K. Well, I just signed up for my first 5K run that will be held Sept. 23, 2012! The website is http://www.qcmarathon.org/
    I still can't believe I signed up, LOL! I have a lot of work to do, but I am thrilled to have made it a goal of mine!!

You from the QC area? I'm in Burlington and have thought about signing up for the QC marathon as well!
  • Yogeros
    Yogeros Posts: 19
    Options

You from the QC area? I'm in Burlington and have thought about signing up for the QC marathon as well!

Hi there! Yes, I am from the QC. You should sign up. I signed up yesterday on a whim and still can't believe I did it. LOL! I have a lot of weight to lose and a lot of training to do before the race. I can't wait, I am excited! You should seriously think about it. Good luck!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Finished c25k in March! Ran my first 5k race on Memorial Day weekend and had a blast. Finished in under 30 minutes (a new record or me) and ran my fastest mile. I'm still running 3 days a week on average, anywhere from 2-4 miles. Last week I decided I needed a new goal, so I searched for a 10k app - completed my second day this morning. :smile:

I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs (I think they have a version for Droid phones too), and found their companion 10k app, also free, which picked up right where the 5k app left off.

It's a great program, no matter what app you use! Sign up for a 5k race - it makes a great goal for you to keep at the program!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have an android, not an iphone, so I can't use Iphone apps. Are there similar apps for the android smartphones?

I didn't pay for the C25K version of the app for my droid but I did download a free HIIT app which I use to set up my jogging sets for C25K.
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    It's a free app. Search C25K in the app store. I'm not sure if android has this app. I just started it last week. You train 3 days out of the week. It starts off slowly and trains you to run a 5k. It tells you when to warm up, walk, jog, and cool down.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm going to restart this plan on Monday (when we are out of this monsoon like weather as I have no indoor running equipment and shun gyms)

It really helped I was able to jog 5k for charity last time I did it and it felt OK considering I hate running. If anyone wants to add for support feel free :)