how do you get off sugar?

Options
So I have realized that I'm a total sugar person. I don't really know when this happened but lately all I want is candy etc. So here it is. I need to get off sugar for a week or longer. How do I do it? Did you go cold turkey? What about natural sugars from fruit? Help me please.

Please follow the rule if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your flipping mouth shut.,

Oh and what should I expect while giving it up in side effects?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think sugar is capable of "getting off"

And sugar is sugar
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    For me, cold turkey. Tapering down doesn't get rid of the cravings for. I've done it when I also went cold turkey from grains, so I can't say whether symptoms were from one, the other, or both. I was tired and a little grumpy but within a week, maybe even a few days felt great, no more cravings and no more afternoon crashes. I never cut out fruit.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugar from fruit because you get other benefits from it. Plus I found it useful to eat to stop eating candy (I was once a sour candy addict). I stopped eating it cold turkey and ate berries when I craved it. Now I'm at the point where I rarely crave sugar so I occasionally will have some. I find my tastes have adjusted so I don't over eat it. Just a taste and I'm happy.

It's really difficult (at least it was for me) so good luck! Try your best and don't get discouraged if you have trouble.

Initially, I found I was grumpy and I did get some headaches. Once I started replacing candy with fruit, I felt much better.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there is anything to get off of. Just stop eating it.
  • dahvishont02
    dahvishont02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have an ful time with sugar!! I love it and I found out that I am insulin resistant so I have had to cut waaaaay back on processed carbs in general. I have gone cold turkey for a month. I had withdrawals the first couple of days and after about a week or two your cravings for sugar begin to fade. The more you eat it, the more your body wants it. Odd that you bring this up, A couple nights ago, I saw a public service announcement while watching the Biggest Lose Extreme and they said to go cold turkey for a week as well. I will say it hurts for a bit. But after a while. it is not that bad.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey with things like soda and cakes and sweets in general. I'll still have a chocolate bar here and there, but only after I spent awhile without those things.

While sugar is sugar, I don't personally count fruit as a sugary treat, since I find it has nutritional benefits.

Try cutting up some fruit (lemon, lime, strawberry) and put it in a jug with water in the fridge - the water will be nice and cold with a nice sweet flavour. That could help with soda. In terms of other sugars...I find a sprinkling of cinnamon on some things (like my morning whole wheat toast with peanut butter) is delicious and adds a certain sweetness.

There are really a lot of options in terms of lowering your sugar intake.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    really the best way is not to eat it like others said. it will take time but you will get there! there may be frustrations so give yourself some time to time but i would say first cut the obvious offenders like soda, candy and go from there.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about fruit, just processed sugar. It's happened slowly and unintentionally for me, so I think slowly weaning yourself works well. I've been on MFP for almost 6 months and just from cutting back calories and trying to plan for nutritionally dense food I've cut back on sugar. The longer I go like this, the less I crave it. I still eat ice cream periodically, but nowhere near as much as I used to. I eat an almond nut mix, Bar Harbor Blend, that has dark chocolate covered almonds, craisins, and vanilla almonds. It gets my sweet tooth without too much sugar. I think changes like this have decreased my desire for candy and other things.
  • boys4girls1
    Options
    I would think that cold turkey is the best. Maybe you can try and have some fruit handy since it is naturally sweet you might be able to get by on that. Good luck. We are all here for you.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey and I've never felt better. ..and I didn't replace with the chemical crap. If I really need something I'll have some honey but even that I try to limit because I don't want to jump back on the sweet train.
  • Icekoldpearl
    Icekoldpearl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i am also trying to get off of sugar (that is - break the addiction). i did it once before and i'm starting to do it again. the last time i did it, it was cold turkey. the results were amazing. i don't remember any symptoms at all. it really worked for my weight loss goals. best of luck to you! as for me - i'm going cold turkey...again. this time for good! :wink:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Stand up & walk away... cold turkey. Then slowly add if you choose.
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    I understand that you don't have to worry about sugars from natural sources like fruit. Even diabetics don't restrict fruits. It is the processed sugars from soft drinks, and sugary snacks. Check out the glycemic index for the foods you eat.
    http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
    this site lists the glycemic index and glycemic load for a bunch of foods. GI of 55 is low; GL of 10 is low. They also show fructose as being low in both areas.

The GI of Sugars

Fructose 15±4
    Sucrose 65±4
    Glucose 103±3
    Honey 61±3

A GI value tells you only how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into sugar. It doesn't tell you how much of that carbohydrate is in a serving of a particular food. You need to know both things to understand a food's effect on blood sugar. That is where glycemic load comes in. The carbohydrate in watermelon, for example, has a high GI. But there isn't a lot of it, so watermelon's glycemic load is relatively low. A GL of 20 or more is high, a GL of 11 to 19 inclusive is medium, and a GL of 10 or less is low.

The main source of sucrose is found in cane sugar and beet sugar, which are used to produce table sugar; the same type of sugar is also found in molasses, brown sugar and maple syrup. Honey does not contain sucrose, but contains roughly equal amounts of fructose and glucose. High-fructose corn syrup usually contains 55 percent fructose and 45 percent glucose, while agave syrup is made of 90 percent fructose and 10 percent glucose. Fruits usually contain small amounts of sucrose and varying proportions of fructose and glucose. Glucose is the basic molecule making starches. Many glucose molecules bonded together form starches, which are found in grains, legumes and starchy vegetables.
    Calories Content
    Each type of sugar, whether it is sucrose, fructose or glucose, provides the same amount of calories. One gram of sugar corresponds to 4 calories, which means that 1 teaspoon is roughly 16 calories and 1 tablespoon provides approximately 50 calories. ) However, the calorie and sugar content of the different foods containing sucrose, glucose and fructose can differ widely depending on the other nutrients present in the food.
    Effect on Health
    An excess consumption of sugar can cause weight gain and high blood sugar levels. However, depending on whether the foods you eat contain sucrose, fructose or glucose, the impact on your health may differ. When eating sucrose, your enzymes quickly separate the fructose and glucose from which it is made. The bond among the molecules of glucose in starches is also quickly broken to obtain free glucose. The glucose that either comes from free glucose, sucrose or starches contributes to elevating your blood sugar levels. Fructose, on the other hand, whether it comes from free fructose or sucrose, does not raise your blood sugar levels and is rather sent directly to your liver where it is metabolized. Although fructose does not elevate your blood sugar levels, excess fructose is associated with high triglycerides, according to Dr. Robert H. Lustig, Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology of the University of California, San Francisco.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/499857-what-is-the-difference-between-sucrose-glucose-fructose/#ixzz1xbrioevl
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Don't eat... because sugar is in everything!
  • ReadySara
    ReadySara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean girl,
    what I do to "help" is I eat the fruit gum like from Extra/Wiggley or if it's chocolate you are craving, I now eat the Skinny Cow's, they are satisfying and sometimes I can't eat it all....
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar? Cold Turkey baby! Sugar in fruit doesn't bother me, but let me eat one freakin cookie and I'm craving sugar every day.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Watch out if you stop cold turkey then fall off the wagon for a sweet treat. I did that, the only sugars I had for a week were from fuits and such, then I went to a graduation party and had half a piece of cake with frosting... I was so quesy that night, light headed, dizzy.. my sugar and insulin levels Im sure were having quite a roller coaster ride.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey.

This - for real. I was told that the body craves more sugar, the more you have of it. So if you cut it out of your diet COMPLETELY for one week, you bring the craving way down. (Of course, the danger is in adding it back into your diet - because the more you add, the more you're going to want).
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I love sugar.