Gym size discrimination

Options

Replies

• Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Looks like its a place for fat women to comiserate and make excuses for each other.

But I am all for free enterprise, so if they can make money off this more power to them.

So because they've dedicated a gym to obese women, it's going to be a place for them to just sit and talk instead of working out? It has personal trainers, it has women who have shown up to put in the effort and the work. The first step is going, and if it's a gym 'fat' women feel comfortable going to, then at least they made the first move towards a healthier them.

Crap comments like this causes gyms like this to be made.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think its wrong...I am just leaving it at that.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think that officially private businesses have the right to cater to a certain clientele, for example I'm thinking about gyms and pools that cater to women of cultures who don't feel comfortable exercising with a male presence. Another example could be an exclusive country club: they restrict their members don't they?

I'm not sure how I feel about actually denying memberships to people who are in-shape, but to be honest I choose a gym based on the rigor of the classes and the fitness level of the members, so I don't know why I would want to work out at a gym geared more towards those trying to lose a lot of weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but my morale would suffer if every single person in my gym was obese. If every person huffing and puffing on the machines was huge, eventually I would lose the mental connection working out to lose weight. I'd stop believing working out helped anyone. Who would I look at and think to myself, "If I work out as hard as that guy over there, eventually I can be as ripped as he is"?

Would anybody in that gym be busting their butt off? I've got this mental picture of walking in and seeing recumbent bikes as far as the eye can see.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Other people at the gym have no affect on me. Wether they be larger or fit, or buff or girls or guys. I go there to get MY workout in. I couldn't care less what someone else's goals or hopes or body looks like. Honestly, most of the time I don't give anyone a second look. What they're doing is on them. And p.s. you people who always think you know so much about lifting at my gym, stop with your suggestions....until you are buffer than my trainer, I will take his advise over yours any day of the week.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but my morale would suffer if every single person in my gym was obese. If every person huffing and puffing on the machines was huge, eventually I would lose the mental connection working out to lose weight. I'd stop believing working out helped anyone. Who would I look at and think to myself, "If I work out as hard as that guy over there, eventually I can be as ripped as he is"?

Would anybody in that gym be busting their butt off? I've got this mental picture of walking in and seeing recumbent bikes as far as the eye can see.

To offer a different viewpoint. As a 'big girl', I've gone to the gym only to have fit women tell me I didn't belong there or some very snide comments at my lack of ability (as have many people on this site). It's soul crushing and demotivating. So, if I could go to workout at a place that offers the same amount of training, cardio and strength training, while being in an environment filled with people who have similar goals to mine as well as know the position I'm in, then I'd love to go. Especially when you start to see the people around you reach their goals. That would push me to continue to reach mine.

I think it's meant to be supportive. That and, when first working out, it can be intimidating getting on a treadmill for your cardio next to a ripped woman who is running like a cheetah at 18 mph.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Looks like its a place for fat women to comiserate and make excuses for each other.

But I am all for free enterprise, so if they can make money off this more power to them.

So because they've dedicated a gym to obese women, it's going to be a place for them to just sit and talk instead of working out? It has personal trainers, it has women who have shown up to put in the effort and the work. The first step is going, and if it's a gym 'fat' women feel comfortable going to, then at least they made the first move towards a healthier them.

Crap comments like this causes gyms like this to be made.

Can you read? I didn't say they would sit around and gossip. I'm sure they'll walk 2.0 on the treadmill and talk about how their metabolisms are slow or their genetics are faulty or society made them fat.

Because how stupid do you have to be to say that thin people bring down morale? That is exactly the kind of place I would not want to work out in. The gym owner shouldn't encourage that kind of thinking, the "us" and "them" of fat women and skinny women... how about make a supportive gym full of "we"s that just want to work out and be healthy? If anyone is rude to another member, boot them.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This really rings of the saying - "I would not want to be a member of any organization that would have me as a member."
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how skinny people hurt morale. To me there is nothing more motivating than fit people. When you see them in the zone, working hard to achieve the body they have, it makes me say I can do that too. That's why I don't take classes taught by overweight instructors. Its not to say they can't teach the class, but they can't get me to push harder
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I'm sure it's an uneasy feeling.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's odd, that's for sure, but there certainly are plenty of other gyms for the "skinny" people to go to. No loss there, but still wtf at this concept.
  • emanna11
    emanna11 Posts: 57
    Options

To offer a different viewpoint. As a 'big girl', I've gone to the gym only to have fit women tell me I didn't belong there or some very snide comments at my lack of ability (as have many people on this site). It's soul crushing and demotivating. So, if I could go to workout at a place that offers the same amount of training, cardio and strength training, while being in an environment filled with people who have similar goals to mine as well as know the position I'm in, then I'd love to go. Especially when you start to see the people around you reach their goals. That would push me to continue to reach mine.

I think it's meant to be supportive. That and, when first working out, it can be intimidating getting on a treadmill for your cardio next to a ripped woman who is running like a cheetah at 18 mph.

I too am a "big girl" and I have been activly going to the gym since December. I have never once been hassled by a fit person while there. I have, however, been complimented by a really nice "fit" lady on my progress. She called my the amazing shrinking lady. I also have been the most overweight, out of shape person in a class. The other people in the class encouraged me to keep going and keep trying; the instructor made positive comments on how my form was improving. It sounds to me like you either need to find a different gym or realize that negative people come in all shapes and sizes, as well as positive, supportive people.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options

I too am a "big girl" and I have been activly going to the gym since December. I have never once been hassled by a fit person while there. I have, however, been complimented by a really nice "fit" lady on my progress. She called my the amazing shrinking lady. I also have been the most overweight, out of shape person in a class. The other people in the class encouraged me to keep going and keep trying; the instructor made positive comments on how my form was improving. It sounds to me like you either need to find a different gym or realize that negative people come in all shapes and sizes, as well as positive, supportive people.

I'm the 'biggest' woman I've seen at my gym, but I've had nothing but support from the staff & the other members. It helps that I'm the UK and people just aren't as outspoken here as they are in the US, and that the gym is in a small town so most members know each other at least by sight.
    Personally I wouldn't join a gym just for outsized people, nor would I join a women only gym. I like seeing fitter people than me, it give me something to aim for & I've picked up some good tips from them. And I like that fact there's fellas around. Call me shallow, but a bit of eyecandy makes the weights seem lighter.:wink:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My only real problem with this is: I'm currently "fat" and need to lose about 75 lbs. I go to this gym fat. Love the gym. Love the people. Do good and lose weight. Then one day someone comes to me and says "hey you look great, so dont come back here"

Yeah! Way to make me feel good. wtf?

I was thinking about this, too. Maybe they should have two workout rooms with separate entrances, showers, and etc, and when you get skinny, you graduate from one side to the other!

Also, what about the inspiration of walking into the gym and seeing someone you know a year ago was overweight who is now fit and thin?
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't bother with a gym. Pop my dvd or find something on youtube and you will be fine. Weight loss is 80% what you eat, and only 20% exercise.
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    So...if you lose weight you get thrown out? I'm not sure I understand the concept, or rather, I'm not sure they thought this all the way through.

Maybe they don't expect the women to loose weight?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    This reminds me why I love my gym so much. I have been bigger, and I have been smaller, and my gym is somewhere where people of ALL shapes and sizes can go and be happy, workout and gain support from other members.

I dont see why anyone would bully someone for being overweight in a gym, what are you going to say 'wow, youre fat, what are you doing here trying to improve your fitness and health and general wellbeing, that cannot be commended at all for being great'. Seriously, what the hell. I may be a little creepy, but if I see someone struggling or what have you I throw them a smile, a 'keep it up' fist pump. I know what it was like to be the one jiggling around at the back in aerobics feeling like I was going to die, telling myself that the only reason I couldnt do a burpee was that my arms and legs must be too short to allow me to squat thrust properly. The only reason anyone in a gym should be ashamed is if they are doing something innapropriate or being half arsed. As long as youre giving it your best, who the hell is anyone to judge.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    That's annoying. I'm pretty sure it can't be a good gym if they lose their clientelle everytime someone is successful at losing weight. I guess if it's a HAES place where everyone has every intention of staying their every size it could work. Still, it seems like most women want to lose weight and going to a gym like that seems to be just asking for some sabotage.

Besides, without a showoff in the gym doing superfast weighted pullups with a twist - how are you going to know what your body is capable of at it's best?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Aahhh a gym that is not after long-term members eh. What will they do when some of those overweight peeps slim right down, ban them??

pmsl yeah great business sense
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Is a gym that caters to plus size customers really any different than a clothing store that caters to plus size customers?