Richard Simmons

Options
Just did my first Richard Simmons video - Boogie Down the Pounds. It was a disco dance workout. Very fun. I liked how you could see so many different fitness levels in his "dancers." The only weird part was that they were all wearing regular clothes, not workout outfits. Is it normally like that? Maybe it was just because they were playing it up that they were in a disco. I will definitely do it again. Has anybody else done one of his they would recommend?

Replies

• Joy150
    Joy150 Posts: 10
    Options
    I absolutely love Richard Simmons!!!! When I used to work out with my Mom when I was younger she excercised to Richard Simmons!!!! But she only does Sweating to the Oldies, they are fun but when I started buying tapes I brought Disco Sweat. Sounds like it might be similiar to Boogie down the pounds but I think you can't go wrong with Richard Simmons! Hope those help!!!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    OMG! We used to do his work outs (sweating to the oldies!) in gym class in high school!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I used to do sweating to the Oldies when my kids were younger. I loved them and years later when I hear an oldie.. I think about dancing lol If I was to workout at home I would consider him again but I have big kids now and I just don't get time alone in the house much.
  • ckuprienko
    Options
    WOW, I used to have Sweating to the oldies and loved it. Have lost it somewhere and would love to get it again. It really was fun. and like you said. not the perfect instructors we are so used to. Every once in awhile I have heard one of the songs in it and remember his video. I ll have to check out the new one.. Thanks
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Sweatin' to the Oldies 2 (apparently the original is out of print) and enjoy it. I needed something that was fun and slightly ridiculous when I started this while thing and Richard Simmons definitely fit that bill!

With Sweatin' to the Oldies the dancers were in a mixture of work-out clothes and street clothes. One woman is even wearing a snazzy jean jacked during the warm-up! And they're working out in a diner, because what could be more familiar/comforting to dieters than short-order cooks and soda bottles for weights?
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Richard Simmons is a sweetie....He really cares about his clients....
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I liked sweatin' to the oldies. He also uses other big people in his videos which is refreshing, since most work out videos use fitness models.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    celebrity-pictures-simmons-gahd.jpg
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I liked sweatin' to the oldies. He also uses other big people in his videos which is refreshing, since most work out videos use fitness models.

Very true!!
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love Richard Simmons work outs. I have several of his VHS and DVD's. They are so much fun, and they have regular people doing them, so I don't feel so stupid trying to keep up like I do with the fitness models that do most workout videos.
  • l0llybean
    l0llybean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I had my kids at the Boys and Girls Club do Richard Simmons DVDs last summer when it was too hot to play outside and they LOVED it!

The one we did was set at a mall and the people were all dressed in normal clothes as well. Well, eccept for Richard of course, who I'm not sure ever dresses in normal clothing.
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i used to do the oldies one with my mom and her friend in the 80's also LOL i am so sick of the songs in that video LOL every time i hear one come on i change the channel ~grins~
  • La1210
    La1210 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I grew up watching my mom and aunt shake and shimmy to good old Richard. I bought his sweatin to the oldies2, you know the one with all the people in leather jackets and skinny jeans. Lol. Well its just not for me anymore.....
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

bahahahahahahaa
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    He's creepy, he's cheesy, and he just plain bugs the hell out of me.

But he gives off the feelng he really cares about people and about trying to make a healthy lifestyle fun and doable for everyone. Great guy.
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had Tone and Sweat on VHS and LOVED it! I should see if I can find it on DVD...
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

LOL!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I had several of his Sweatin' to the Oldies on VHS! Just laughing at myself doing them pumped up the calorie burn!
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I recently bought Sweatin' to the Oldies 1,2,3, and 4 on DVD in a box set on Amazon. :happy:
  • KauandMe
    KauandMe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I lost 18 pounds Sweatin' to the Oldies fifteen years ago. I love the songs and Richard's "you can do it" attitude. I recently picked up Sweatin' to the Oldies 2 on DVD. It's not my main workout, but it's a great break when I need to get off my butt and DO something (and it's 100+ outside).