Rheumatoid Arthritis exercise help please

Options
Can anyone help with exercises i can do to help with Rheumatoid arthritis? I would really like to get started on an exercise plan to help lose weight and also releve some of the pain i feel every day. Lori

Replies

• karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is my first post on here. :) My mom has RA and has found that using a rebounder (mini trampoline) has done wonders for her aches and pains. They can get quite expensive, but she swears hers was worth every penny. You can get a decent deal on one from Jump Sport, ebay, or maybe even craigslist. Just google Jump Sport Fitness Trampoline. The ones that use bungee cords instead of coils are supposed to have a softer bounce. Rebounding is great for the cardiovascular system, as well as the lymphatic system and easy on the joints. I have bad knees and use mine to get through the Insanity workouts. I'm not supposed to do any high impact activities, so I do any running, jumping jacks, etc in that workout on the rebounder. They really are great for the joints. Hope this helps! Good luck! :)
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have RA and didn't exercise for the longest time because I was afraid I would aggrevate it and cause more flare-ups. Thankfully, my meds have kept the RA under control minus a few mild flare-ups and I have been able to work out on a regular basis. I would say one of the lowest impact exercises would be swimming then the recumbant bike. Whatever you do, if it starts to hurt, stop but don't let it deter you from trying again. I joined a gym and paid for person training sessions. I made sure the trainer knew I had RA and if something bothered me or didn't feel right, I would let her know and she would just have me do other exercises. I do think the more I exercised, the more it helped my RA because I have recently decreased the number of times I work out (due to motivation challenges) and I have been having a few mild flare-ups.

If you need someone to talk to or want to be pals on MFP, let me know! We could always use the extra support!

Jinny
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hi!
    i worked for a rheumatologist for a year as an intern and he always suggests swimming!
    anti-inflammatory foods can also help keep flare-ups at bay.

i'm glad that you're trying to keep up with fitness despite this challenge.
  • lori790
    lori790 Posts: 5
    Options
    My doctor told me no running or jumping but i will mention the mini trampoline to him and see what he says. Thank you for the advice :smile:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I recommend anything that has stretches for people with arthritis. If my knees are paining and I have a dance class I'll regret going until the end of the class, then I feel fantastic. Pilates, yoga, dance, etc.

I'm starting to get into hiking. It's painful on my back. I'm sharing this with you because it seems that if fI do a lot of stretching of everything before and after it's very tolerable.
  • lori790
    Options
    I have been wanting to start yoga and I already do stretching several times a day and it helps some. I have a Wii and it has yoga on it so i will start that tmr. Thank you for your advice.
  • lori790
    Options
    I will do a search about anti-inflammatory foods and try that. I am willing to try anything that might help me. Thank you for the advice.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have RA, diagnosed at 19 and now 27. Long story short, I put on weight, it got worse and to the point I could hardly walk this past winter. I started MFP in April and it has helped a lot!

First and foremost, make sure you have your RA under control as far as meds go.

Second, take it SLOW. I started by walking for 20 mins a day, then 30. Then added elliptical. Swimming is definitely great, especially on those bad days. Just take it nice and easy, your body will let you know if you are pushing to hard. And you don't want to over do it because you'll then spend the next few days or week recovering from a flare up.

As far as food, I cut out pop and watch my acidic foods such as oranges because those cause flare ups. I like food way too much to go gluten free.

Make sure after exercising, you ice and stretch really good! It helps!!

Believe it or not, strength training helps. I have RA bad in my knees, left wrist, and elbows. I couldn't do squats, lounges, or push ups. I started boot camp with my Mom on Monday nights with a small group of ladies and I was scared. I didn't know what to expect and wasn't sure I could do everything. The trainer rocks. She knew about my RA and showed me alternative ways of doing things or working those muscles. Thanks to strength training (and cortisone shots) I can now do modified push ups, lounges and squats, no problem. :)

I'm 16 pounds lighter, feel great and I am able to run again (although took past few days off due to knee).

Just know, you can do it! And exercise makes it feel so much better. Months ago I would of laughed at someone if they told me I'd be here today.
  • mountaingirl222
    Options
    I have R.A. Swimming is a good way to get cardio in!
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This may go against conventional wisdom, but I have Lupus and I work out everyday, and it has helped tremendously. I also eat a low-inflamation diet. Feel free to add or message me.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hatha yoga which is a gentle stretching yoga. I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and find this to be really beneficial. Just take it slow and do a little. All the best
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I will do a search about anti-inflammatory foods and try that. I am willing to try anything that might help me. Thank you for the advice.

My mom's rheumatologist finally had her go gluten free (I had been recommending it for MONTHS), so she finally did it. It has made a HUGE difference. Since gluten intolerance and RA are both autoimmune conditions, the inflammation from gluten intolerance can flare the RA. She also uses the elliptical because it is low impact, and I am trying to get her to go swimming with me.

I have Fibromyalgia...not as severe as an RA diagnosis, but I agree with the anti-inflammatory foods. Things like spinach and other dark leafy greens contains quercetin which inhibits the production and release of histamine and can can reduce joint inflammation.
  • ebonijo2
    ebonijo2 Posts: 73
    Options
    There are certain therapeutic exercises you can do on the floor that does not put pressure on your joints like, straight leg raises (flexion, adduction, abduction directions) calf raises, terminal knee extensions, bridges, quad sets or squats into a chair. Not only do they help with RA, but help to build strength to take some of the pain you may feel throughout the day.
  • lori790
    Options
    Thank you for all the great information you all have given me. I have now have a list of foods to stay away from. I will be putting this information to use! Thank you so much for all the help.